Helmet life

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
John Holiday

Helmet life

Post by John Holiday »

Just been reading a discussion on the Bikeability forum about how long helmets should be used.
Apparently they have a life of only about three years & should then be scrapped as a result of UV degradation.
How many people actually throw their helmet away every three years?
gaz

Re: Helmet life

Post by gaz »

Some 15-20 years ago I bought a Specialized helmet. The owners manual said,
The Snell Memorial Foundation recommends that helmets be replaced after five years.
Note: The useful life of your helmet may be less than five years as a result of exposure to sunlight, rough handling/storage that results in dents or cuts or as a result of heavy use.
More recently I've bought one from a different brand, which quotes three years.

There may have been research to support a reduction in the recommended lifespan but I suspect somebody from the marketing team worked out that suggesting it should be replaced every three years rather than every five means more sales.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I usually swap mine every 3-4 years, as they become a bio-hazard eventually. Repeated sweaty rides mean the straps and padding become stained and difficult to clean.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I think the advice to change helmets regularly is similar to the motor industry saying that cars
have a design life of 7 years. :roll:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Just checked the sticker inside my helmet: manufactured 12/2018, end of life 12/2023, so, five years for mine.

Don't know about anyone else, can't imagine this is unique, but at least two of my cycling pals wear helmets that I'm sure must be ridiculously past their 'end of life' date. I've even offered them replacements - a couple of helmets that don't quite fit or suit me or whatever (helmets are a bit like saddles...), as long as they fit them - and they're not interested. I think they prefer the 'jaunty' look, or something - their helmets have character - patina, even - they're part of their identity...

I know that's as absurd as it sounds (there's quite a lot that's absurd about helmets, tbh), but there you go! :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Industrial use safety helmets have a date mark moulded into them. Lifespan is about 5 years. Woe betide anyone caught by the managers doing a safety walk who find your lid is past it's sell by date. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had three in my time.
Cheapo from Tesco, a Giro, and then a Specialized.
Started wearing one in late 2004, and chucked my last one out in summer 2015. Good riddance! :D
That's one every three or four years or thereabouts.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mine is 3 years old. I have worn it for about 4 hours, in events where mandated. It is stored in a closed box, so not liable to UV damage. Pretty sure I'm not going to change it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I wear mine until they break or are involved in a collision - none of those on the head so far in 25 years.
I find this 3-5 year thing very hard to believe.
Mega UV damage in this country?
And it's not as if the things are sat outside 24/7 is it?
My helmet spends most of its time sat at the bottom of a shaded/dark bookcase.

In short I worry as much about this as my underwear being eaten by rats.
Sweep
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

My rudy project is about 7 years old, the colours faded a little but I'm not concerned about changing it.
Can't remember the last time I saw anyone round here riding without a helmet.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I bought my helmet about 10 years ago. Wore it twice then put it in the cupboard and forgot about it until last year when I started wearing it again.
I doubt I'll be throwing it away yet.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mine's a lot older than ten years. It took my LBS ten years to find one big enough to fit, so I'd have had to start immediately looking for another to replace it by now. As it spends nearly all its time in a helmet case in the loft, it's hard to see UV having much effect. It's far too precious to wear :D I have it for occasional events where helmets are mandatory.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Interesting that they worry it will UV damage the shell on most Cycle helmets is only a covering for the polystyrene inner. it is not integral to the effectiveness of the helmet. There are some exceptions that have a hard shell, which is part of the structure but most are just coverings.

Polycarbonate motorcycles helmets of the 70s suffered UV damage and were supposedly only good for about 3 years as they would shatter on impact. A piece of research proved though that the shattering was actually better for the wearer as it dissipated energy, this bit of info was quickly buried by the motorcycle helmet manufacturers.
NUKe

Post by Pete Owens »

Presumably it depends on how fashion conciious the wearer is.
If you don't want to be seen in last years colour or be seen in something slightly faded if you will buy new hats regularly.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

As I understand it, UV radiation is blocked by the plastic skin, and it's only exposed polystyrene that degrades. That being the case I don't worry about it. My main lid has been in use since 2015, the one before that from 2002-2015. The one before that broke after 5 years' use when it fell on the road with my head in it. Head was fine, unless you ask the opinion of MrsA*.

* Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. Not.
Have we got time for another cuppa?