Helmet life

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
pjclinch

Re: Helmet life

Post by pjclinch »

For a general description of what you can expect of helmets from a chap who tests them for a living, this was originally published in Cycle:

https://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

It says:
Expanded polystyrene, the principal material from which cycle helmets are manufactured and the bit that protects you, is not known to deteriorate with age. However, you should avoid putting anything heavy on top of the helmet, or exposing it to unnecessary knocks. You will get greater useful life from a helmet if you: (a) reserve a safe storage place for it when not in use, preferably in a strong small box; and (b) if your helmet gets a good soaking, you allow it to dry out for as long as is practical, at a dry room temperature.
Most manufacturers recommend that a helmet be changed after fi ve years – a fair guideline, if you’re unsure about checking your helmet
yourself.
I guess there'll be general wear and tear around the strap anchors, knocks while carried etc. that will accumulate minor degradation over time. I don't use mine much (usually once a week to do basic MTB coaching, insurance requirement rather than serious derring-do) and change it every 4-5 years. I use Lidl/Aldi ones that come in at £10-£15 so I feel that rate of wear is acceptable.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

After reading the comments I checked my Kask Mojiti and the date inside, which I assume is its replacement date, is November 2013.

I then realised that I bought it after my previous one sustained slight damage in a high speed crash in Spain so that would have been the autumn of 2011.

Still looks OK but I have replaced it anyway.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've had two since 1997 - I was only a reluctant adopter.
My most recent one was bought in 2013.
I'm toying with the idea of buying a new one.
The "near death " experiences I've had, suggest that the condition of a lump of expanded polystyrene wouldn't have made much difference if the worst had happened.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've broken two helmets in the last two years so they wouldn't have been that old or had that much use.
On motorcycle helmets about 40 years ago they were recommending polycarbonates I think the changed every two years or so
At that time only fibreglass could be used for competition.
The biggest problem I find is the internal padding normally wears out.
I wash my helmet after every ride I've definitely had no mould or anything else ever.
You get mould if you don't wash your helmet and then just store it somewhere.
I have several new spare helmet so when They are looking scruffy or The padding is worn or falling out I'll replace.
With my two broken helmets which were cracked, I make an attempt to smash them and it's surprising how tough they are to break.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I think MET have said the helmet life thing is nonsense - they do make pretty good helmets though.

I still replace every five years or so.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:11am
I wash my helmet after every ride I've definitely had no mould or anything else ever.
ye gods.
Have never washed a helmet in my life.
Never seen any "mould" on one.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:34pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:11am I wash my helmet after every ride I've definitely had no mould or anything else ever.
Agreed x2.

But it is kept somewhere dry and airy and out of sunlight.

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Have to confess, since Covid I've washed my hands more often in the past year and a half than in the rest of my life, but myself not so much (when you're not around other people it doesn't seem to matter the same, at least not to me (if it ever did!).

Seriously, before I went for my first Covid jab I made a point of having a bath and wearing fresh clean clothes, seeing as how it was the first time I'd been within six feet of another human being in over a year - so I'm hardly going to care much whether my helmet straps and padding are clean or not! :lol:

Dirt is characterful, doncha know. :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Moved this thread into the Helmet section.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:11am
ye gods.
So its dirty............body grease?
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

This thread persuaded me out of curiosity to look on the sticker inside my Giro Xen helmet and the manufacturing date is August 2004, so it's 17yrs old.

Thing is this is the only helmet I have found even remotely comfortable (after changing the wafer thin pads for some thicker ones that came spare with my daughters Bell helmet that is) so I am reluctant to let it die.

I only wear a helmet in the cold weather or when it rains, so don't really see it as a means of impact protection just strictly for cold and rain, usually with a skull cap underneath. Most of the time it is in a bag hanging in the bedroom and I have no intention of replacing it.

When I worked as an advisor for the HSE I was frequently asked by construction workers 'How often should I change my hard hat?' and I had no real scientifically proved answer (if it was in good condition and had not been damaged or abused) other than to suggest they ask the manufacturer what the life expectancy of their product was (most stickers inside the hat were long gone!) and most hard hat manufacturers at the time recommend replacing hard hats every five years regardless of appearance.

I have never washed my helmet (if you pardon the expression!) or washed the pads inside and that goes for any that I have owned (first one I bought was made by Brancale in the 80's), but then I do not wash my handlebar tape either as some do apparently.

I personally think a few bacteria are good to strengthen my immune system and I have never noticed any bad smells coming from them so I don't intend changing my regime.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I was only joking in the post above about not washing the liners and straps of my helmets - the pads are attached by velcro so you just peel them out and wash them (many helmets' pads are even replaceable if they're worn out - if you search the net you can usually find them). I just haven't for a while.

I've used Screwfix No Nonsense degreaser to wash the pads and the straps (unlike other degreasers (Gunk, for example - powerful stuff but nasty), it's kind to your skin - you could even wash your hands in it). You could just use washing powder, Stergene or even just soap though.

Only thing to be careful of, as I found out, is if your helmet has an integrated light at the back, such as the Aldi or Lidl helmets, make sure you take it out before you get the helmet wet. I think I got away with it but although the light is waterproof up to a point you don't want to soak it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
GranvilleThomas wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 8:08am This thread persuaded me out of curiosity to look on the sticker inside my Giro Xen helmet and the manufacturing date is August 2004, so it's 17yrs old.

Thing is this is the only helmet I have found even remotely comfortable (after changing the wafer thin pads for some thicker ones that came spare with my daughters Bell helmet that is) so I am reluctant to let it die.

I only wear a helmet in the cold weather or when it rains, so don't really see it as a means of impact protection just strictly for cold and rain, usually with a skull cap underneath. Most of the time it is in a bag hanging in the bedroom and I have no intention of replacing it.

When I worked as an advisor for the HSE I was frequently asked by construction workers 'How often should I change my hard hat?' and I had no real scientifically proved answer (if it was in good condition and had not been damaged or abused) other than to suggest they ask the manufacturer what the life expectancy of their product was (most stickers inside the hat were long gone!) and most hard hat manufacturers at the time recommend replacing hard hats every five years regardless of appearance.

I have never washed my helmet (if you pardon the expression!) or washed the pads inside and that goes for any that I have owned (first one I bought was made by Brancale in the 80's), but then I do not wash my handlebar tape either as some do apparently.

I personally think a few bacteria are good to strengthen my immune system and I have never noticed any bad smells coming from them so I don't intend changing my regime.
My bold above-
I also use a bell helmet, sorry you use a gyro the parts come from a bell, I struggle to find anything else to fit, the biggest problem I find is the foam parts tend to wear out, and they seem extortionate expensive to replace.
I think washing things come down to, how much do you use them and in what environment, if you're using a skullcap or not, I sweat even through my head in winter time when most people have to wrap up.
It's a bit like a coat or a pair of shoes/boots isn't it, If they never leave the box then you won't have to do anything to them take them out the box and They collect dust.
my cycling shoes that are used most often are grey and white, I use them all year round and you think they would get a bit dirty, but no I always wear shoe covers so that The uppers never see dirt they look like new.
Bacteria something else, most of it will never harm you and I think it's regarding nowadays that over washing yourself it's not gonna make you cleaner and more healthy, but of course comes from the inside.
If I'm using my helmet three times a week say 10 hours in total and the sweat drips then I'll probably need to wash my helmet.
But if you wear another protection and the helmet does not get much use then you're not likely to need to wash it are you.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:37pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:11am I wash my helmet after every ride I've definitely had no mould or anything else ever.
Agreed x2.

But it is kept somewhere dry and airy and out of sunlight.

Jonathan
So you've never used the helmet and sweated from the head at the same time?
Even if you can't feel or see the sweat you do perspire don't you?

Of course I'm a bit old-fashioned and I tend to keep things till they fall apart.
I think some modern people have too much money to throw around And simply by new.
If you've ever looked at used footwear on eBay, you'll see that the majority of people don't even bother to wash the mud off!
And before anybody says I'll never wear a secondhand pair of shoes, I brought a pair of scapa walking boots that have been used once less than half price, they looked like new, I'm happy.
When you come round to replacing shoes helmet coats boots Even your bicycle, am I the only one who struggles to find something that is suitable?
Must be me I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I tend to get white marks on the straps from sweating,a quick wipe down and it's all good again.Never changed the pads.If the pads are worn then it's new helmet time :)