CTT introduce compulsory helmets and front lights

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
TrevA

Re: CTT introduce compulsory helmets and front lights

Post by TrevA »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 3:07pm Thinks: is dropping pushers-off a result of compliance with social distancing?
Yes - we’ve not had a pusher off for the last 2 years and they’ve not really been missed, so no requirement to have them now (though an organiser can have one if they want). Again, makes the job of organising the club 10 easier, as you only need one person at the start, not two.

The latest CTT guidance, issued in the summer, said you could have a pusher off, but they’d have to have a negative COVID test beforehand and disinfect their hands between riders. Too much of a faff for us, so we didn’t bother.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 3:07pm Thinks: is dropping pushers-off a result of compliance with social distancing?
Yes. Many clubs did it during COVID; I *believe* this is just a move to standardisation.

(I think anyting cutting down on volunteer load is also a Good Thing.)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Apparently, this proposal - no pushers off - was voted down due to concerns about clipping in and getting a gear rolling, which I find strange as we are still in the midst of the pandemic.

I don’t think we’ll be having pushers off in our club events.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve now had time to go through the agenda items and see what passed and what was rejected. Passed items in bold.

Items 6, 10 and 11 - making the rules and regulations gender neutral by removing references to he, him, his, etc. These were all passed.

Item 8 - chair of CTT can only sit for 2 terms (6 years) - rejected/lost.

Item 12 - Definition of events by machine class - road bike, TT bike - rejected/lost.

Item 13 - no rear lights in closed circuit events - rejected/lost.

Item 14 - compulsory front lights in CTT events - passed

Item 15 - compulsory helmets for all competitors - passed

Item 16 - compulsory helmets for all juniors - withdrawn

Item 17 - reservation of places for women in events - passed

item 18 - Start line official to assist timekeeper - passed

Item 19 - Distribution of prizes according to no. of men and women on start sheet - Rejected/lost - no appetite for being prescriptive about prizes.

Item 20 - team prizes for men and women - withdrawn.

Item 21 - start with one foot on the ground, no pusher off - rejected/lost.

Item 22 - Placement of riders within the field - rejected/lost

Item 23 - Chip timing to allow times down to 1/100th of a second - passed, but a moot point as no open road events currently have chip timing.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Darn, you beat me to it Trev!
(From the timetriallimgforum thread?)

I'll add:
This is not a 1member1vote organisation. Delegates from the region vote, after being given a mandate by their clubs. On that thread it is admitted that (at least) 2 delagates ignored their mandate:
2 votes made the difference. Amazing.
(Credit to the guy on that thread for honesty. Good thing he's not in my District ... )
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 3:11pm
Yes - we’ve not had a pusher off for the last 2 years and they’ve not really been missed, so no requirement to have them now (though an organiser can have one if they want). Again, makes the job of organising the club 10 easier, as you only need one person at the start, not two. [...]
Surely you should still have two people at the start if at all possible, for welfare and possibly safeguarding reasons?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

"should ... If at all possible ..."
This is a discussion about rules, so pretty irrelevant.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mjr wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 5:56pm
TrevA wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 3:11pm
Yes - we’ve not had a pusher off for the last 2 years and they’ve not really been missed, so no requirement to have them now (though an organiser can have one if they want). Again, makes the job of organising the club 10 easier, as you only need one person at the start, not two. [...]
Surely you should still have two people at the start if at all possible, for welfare and possibly safeguarding reasons?
We normally have both timekeepers at the start, but if the field is more than 25 riders, then one of the timekeepers will go to the finish before the last rider has set off, in order to time the riders in. The start and finish of our 10 course are about a mile apart. If a pusher off was needed, then there would need to be 3 of us, which much of the time there are, but not every week due to work and holiday commitments.

It’s also useful to have 2 people at the finish - one to get times of riders and the other to spot the numbers.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mattheus wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 5:45pm Darn, you beat me to it Trev!
(From the timetriallimgforum thread?)

I'll add:
This is not a 1member1vote organisation. Delegates from the region vote, after being given a mandate by their clubs. On that thread it is admitted that (at least) 2 delagates ignored their mandate:
2 votes made the difference. Amazing.
(Credit to the guy on that thread for honesty. Good thing he's not in my District ... )
Yes, it’s a bit like the American Electoral College system to elect the president. You can get more votes but still lose.

CTT doesn’t have individual members but member clubs. Perhaps it would be better if it did, though BC works in a similar way and that does have individual members.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

What is amazing about the TT helmet evangelists is that they don't seem remotely bothered about racing on aero-bars. On a public road.
It must be obvious that being able to avoid injuries by steering and braking should be a priority. (most recent fatalities in races have been riders hitting parked cars).

Clearly very few will vote for a rule making their £3k bikes obsolete.

n.b. For the record, I've done 3x24h races with aero-bars. And lights. But no helmet.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I've rather belatedly twigged that TrevA may be the same one posting on TTF ...

So if it's you that posted this, Trev:
One of the problems seems to me to be the insistence on still using paper to communicate. As far as I’m aware, the National AGM agenda is sent to club secretaries by post. This makes it hard to share with club mates. Email should be being used in this day and age. The email can then be forwarded to either everyone in the club or at the very least the club committee. A virtual meeting can then be arranged to give a club mandate to your club reps. I may be wrong here but I never saw the AGM paperwork, so the process is falling down somewhere.
... then I'm in the same boat. (And it's quite an angry vessel! )
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Do the pointy aero hats used by time triallists provide the same degree of protection as the ones used by other cyclists?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cue a link to the French and Saunders sketch of them with the aero helmets on back-to-front.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

TrevA wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 3:08pmnot easy to see black skinsuit clad rider, with a black helmet, in an aero tuck, riding a black bike against a background of black tarmac
There'll be a bit of a fuss if you dare suggest that hi viz is easier to see.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mattheus wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:11pm I've rather belatedly twigged that TrevA may be the same one posting on TTF ...

So if it's you that posted this, Trev:
One of the problems seems to me to be the insistence on still using paper to communicate. As far as I’m aware, the National AGM agenda is sent to club secretaries by post. This makes it hard to share with club mates. Email should be being used in this day and age. The email can then be forwarded to either everyone in the club or at the very least the club committee. A virtual meeting can then be arranged to give a club mandate to your club reps. I may be wrong here but I never saw the AGM paperwork, so the process is falling down somewhere.
... then I'm in the same boat. (And it's quite an angry vessel! )
As an ex club secretary (only 3 years ago) I am pretty sure that there is the option to receive papers and reports by email. I remember getting them in the post, but in my last few years I am sure it was by email. Of course I sent them to my club's CTT delegates with a comment if necessary.

Very few clubs seem to send delegates to their local CTT meetings which is the place where the CTT Region can decide how it wants to direct CTT nationally.