CTT introduce compulsory helmets and front lights

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
TrevA

CTT introduce compulsory helmets and front lights

Post by TrevA »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the CTT (Cycling Time Trials) National AGM yesterday voted in favour of compulsory helmets for time trials. It is the last branch of cycle sport in the UK to mandate such a requirement, British Cycling have required helmets in their events for many years now. The meeting also voted in favour of having a front light on your TT bike, rear lights have been compulsory for a couple of years now.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattheus

Re: CTT introduce compulsory helmets and front lights

Post by mattheus »

TrevA wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 11:04am Perhaps unsurprisingly, the CTT (Cycling Time Trials) National AGM yesterday voted in favour of compulsory helmets for time trials. It is the last branch of cycle sport in the UK to mandate such a requirement, British Cycling have required helmets in their events for many years now. The meeting also voted in favour of having a front light on your TT bike, rear lights have been compulsory for a couple of years now.
They really shouldn't allow the same hare-brained motion to be submitted time-after-time; it would be deemed nuisance litigation in the real world. >-(

How was this consulted on? I remember being asked about this at club level at least once in the past.
Who votes on this? DOes it go through the regions/districts first?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

'ere ya go: 2019 was the most recent attempt!!!
Proposal for compulsory helmets at all Cycling Time Trials events - including hill climbs - defeated
Most delegates at national council's AGM were in favour - but amendment didn't get two-thirds majority needed...
by SIMON_MACMICHAEL
SUN, DEC 01, 2019 20:17
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Motions are often proposed by either the National committee themselves or one of the local districts. The agenda and list of motions gets sent out to each member club secretary. However, it’s usually in paper format so difficult to share with club mates and gather opinions. Each club is invited to send a rep to the local District Mandating meeting and the reps from the local district then take the majority view forward to the National meeting, where the vote is taken. There is limited time for all this to happen so I’m sure not many clubs will hold a meeting to discuss the proposals. Our local CTT mandating meeting was on a Sunday morning, when most of us are out on our bikes.

However, I think this has been coming for some time. Time trialling has been the only form of cycle sport where you didn’t have to wear a helmet, and from my experience, most people wear one anyway, as it’s more aero.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Thanks.
TrevA wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 11:24am ...

However, I think this has been coming for some time. Time trialling has been the only form of cycle sport where you didn’t have to wear a helmet, and from my experience, most people wear one anyway, as it’s more aero.
None of which makes it a sensible move.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It was proposed by the South District Committee

See the report and agenda:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... y0Xu19YI38
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 12:15pm It was proposed by the South District Committee

See the report and agenda:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... y0Xu19YI38
Buried on page 28 of 31, it simply says the following:
Protective Helmets

Regulation 15 (page 341 of 2020 handbook)
In the first line, delete the words “under the age of 18 years and/or juniors” and in the last line of this paragraph delete “(or parent or guardian if the rider is under 18 years of age)”.

Explanation: It should be compulsory for all competitors irrespective of age to wear a helmet. Helmet wearing has in the past been considered a “personal choice”, but the welfare of clubs and organisers is important as they are the providers of the opportunities to compete.
So, this was passed to protect "the welfare of clubs and organisers" and not the riders. Does this mean it was done to stop helmet-loving organisers getting told where to shove their helmet recommendations or to stop helmet zealots who tend to infest BC clubs having their promotion myths debunked?

It should be a minor scandal that this was snuck through evidence-free under cover of covid.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Duradulo

Post by Duradulo »

Will this also apply to hill climbs then?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Yup, absolute rubbish.

You'd think the wording of that "Explanation" would ring alarm bells - what piffle!

This really has pi55ed me off big time. Thanks a lot, TrevA ;-)

Merry flipping Christmas everyone at CTT!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Duradulo wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 12:28pm Will this also apply to hill climbs then?
That is how I read it.

Now that front/rear lights are compulsory, can I organise some night races? Keep us all fit through winter!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Some good news (and good sense) in the motions:

They've made "starting with one foot down" the standard procedure for all clubs/events
i.e. no pusher-off required.

(I haven't see the final votes, so I can only hope this was passed! TrevA? )
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mattheus wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 1:11pm Some good news (and good sense) in the motions:

They've made "starting with one foot down" the standard procedure for all clubs/events
What about tandem stokers and tricycle riders? Plain silly. I admit the numbers are vanishingly small, but in these days of "inclusion" where every variant has to be considered the writing of that proposal should have been better worded.

Have they also made front lights compulsory, which was another proposal? They did it with rear lights a coupe of years ago, but with no standard or specification you could ride with 1950s glow worm which would abide by the letter of the rule but not the spirit.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

tatanab wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 1:37pm
mattheus wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 1:11pm Some good news (and good sense) in the motions:

What about tandem stokers and tricycle riders? Plain silly. I admit the numbers are vanishingly small, but in these days of "inclusion" where every variant has to be considered the writing of that proposal should have been better worded.
Then I hope you voted against the motion - or at least tried to improve the wording. I'm afraid I can't help you much after the event.

tatanab wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 1:37pm
Have they also made front lights compulsory, which was another proposal? They did it with rear lights a coupe of years ago, but with no standard or specification you could ride with 1950s glow worm which would abide by the letter of the rule but not the spirit.
I think that's covered in the first post.
And in my post of 12:33pm.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thinks: is dropping pushers-off a result of compliance with social distancing?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, front lights compulsory too. It will make my job as a timekeeper easier - not easy to see black skinsuit clad rider, with a black helmet, in an aero tuck, riding a black bike against a background of black tarmac. I’ve often mistaken the sign on the exit to the last roundabout of our local 10 course for a rider (it’s about 3/4 of a mile away), but that’s a minor point - they do become more visible as they get closer. It would also be useful if they had numbers on the front too.