Helmets !

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
hondated

Helmets !

Postby hondated » 16 Sep 2010, 5:13pm

I know this is a contentious point and here are may threads already discussing the issue of wearing a helmet or not but I have to say that although I wear a helmet usually I felt brave today and strapped it onto my bike for a few miles.Having not done this for some time it actually felt brilliant not to be constrained by the helmet straps and to feel the wind in my hair once again. Absolutely brilliant. It reminded me of what cycling should be about.I expect tomorrow I will have the helmet on again but then again I am still left wondering whats more dangerous ; riding my motorcycle at high speeds on which I am required to wear a crash helmet or pottering about on my cycle helmetless.

And ironically one of the worse accidents I have ever had was slipping on the tiles in my kitchen and wacking my head on the floor so basically isn't life just full of risks anyway.

Steve Kish

Re: Helmets !

Postby Steve Kish » 16 Sep 2010, 5:22pm

I always wear a helmet, both on and off road - I actually have seven!

Every cyclist at one time or another has asked themselves whether or not they should get one. Those who have decided not to for whatever reason have made the decision that suits them and in the hope that they are never in a situation that makes them wish they had, I'd respect their decision.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 16 Sep 2010, 5:24pm

hondated wrote:And ironically one of the worse accidents I have ever had was slipping on the tiles in my kitchen and wacking my head on the floor so basically isn't life just full of risks anyway.

You mean you weren't wearing a colander on your head? :shock:

AlbionLass

Postby AlbionLass » 16 Sep 2010, 5:48pm

hondated wrote:And ironically one of the worse accidents I have ever had was slipping on the tiles in my kitchen and wacking my head on the floor so basically isn't life just full of risks anyway.

Careful, Headway have spies everywhere, they'll be using your accident to fuel a new campaign.
Last edited by AlbionLass on 16 Sep 2010, 6:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 16 Sep 2010, 6:01pm

AlbionLass wrote:

Careful, Headway have spies everywhere, they'll be using accident to fuel a new campaign.

Don't worry. If they started advocating helmets for equally low risk activities that most of the population was familiar with such as crossing the road, walking downstairs, working in kitchens, or sleeping in bunk beds then they would make themselves look like complete idiots to the entire population rather than just the small minority they choose to pick on.

anothereye

Postby anothereye » 16 Sep 2010, 6:02pm

I always wear a helmet in the house, I take it off once I'm in the bath (as getting in is a high risk maneuver). The big hassle is when I wash my hair, I have to dry my hair before I put my helmet back on and come down the stairs (another high risk activity).
I have a hook by the front door and it is always a delight to hang the damn thing up as I take my bike out everyday. Alas, looking forward to coming home is not the same since the risk assessment was done.

irc

Postby irc » 16 Sep 2010, 8:12pm

Inspired by the OP's example I went to the pub tonight and risked being helmet free both in the pub and the walk there and back. The sense of danger alongsde the breeze through my hair on really enhanced the experience.

I can't be sure that I'll continue. As a family man I can't justify the added risk. After all 1% of head injuries are from road cycling whereas 60% are alcohol related.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

AlbionLass

Postby AlbionLass » 16 Sep 2010, 8:18pm

Can someone point me in the direction of the stats on number of head injuries incurred whilst walking or being in a car vs cycling, I needed the figures earlier and couldn't find them.

Meanwhile I was nearly brained by a tin of pineapple chunks falling from a top shelf in the cupboard and narrowly missing my head, a case for wearing a helmet when preparing dessert in the future perhaps?
Last edited by AlbionLass on 16 Sep 2010, 8:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 16 Sep 2010, 8:23pm

anothereye wrote:I have to dry my hair before I put my helmet back on

so, do you get out of the bath helmetless (which i acknowledge simply isn't worth the risk), or dry your hair whilst in the bath? 8)

AlbionLass

Postby AlbionLass » 16 Sep 2010, 8:25pm

Using a hardryer while sitting in the bath has to be safer than road cycling right?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 16 Sep 2010, 8:30pm

hubgearfreak wrote:

so, do you get out of the bath helmetless (which i acknowledge simply isn't worth the risk), or dry your hair whilst in the bath? 8)

I am so glad no-one has stopped so low as to make any suggestive comments about drying helmets before leaving the bath!

anothereye

Postby anothereye » 16 Sep 2010, 8:40pm

hubgearfreak wrote:

This is the scariest part of my life, I have to get out of the bath without the helmet. I've considered my old 'chum', Mattew Parris's advice (Don't have to wash your hair) but I'm not sure that he can be trusted on some issues!

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 16 Sep 2010, 8:59pm

anothereye wrote:I have to get out of the bath without the helmet.

having read about the devastated lives on the headway site from head injuries, surely you'd be better to use a hairdryer in the bath?

irc

Postby irc » 16 Sep 2010, 9:02pm

AlbionLass wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of the stats on number of head injuries incurred whilst walking or being in a car vs cycling, I needed the figures earlier and couldn't find them.

Can't find the exact numbers but there is a pie chart showing the causes of head injuries at

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4641

Edit - And there is also http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1148.html
Last edited by irc on 16 Sep 2010, 9:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

AlbionLass

Postby AlbionLass » 16 Sep 2010, 9:06pm

Thanks very much irc, that will do nicely. :)