CTC Members: Helmet usage

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
Jonty

CTC Members: Helmet usage

Postby Jonty » 23 Sep 2010, 8:31pm

Does anyone know how many CTC members wear cycling helmets when cycling and what percentage of the total membership this comprises?
Thanks
jonty

CREPELLO

Re: CTC Members: Helmet usage

Postby CREPELLO » 23 Sep 2010, 9:40pm

Dunno, but you can always conduct your own very unscientific survey here (Feature on the composing page). I for one wear one when it's wet and busy on road, otherwise rejoice in wind in me hair :D

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 23 Sep 2010, 9:47pm

The vast majority of riders I see around Lancaster wear helmets but I doubt that many are CTC members. Why do you ask Jonty ? It's a very specific question, I can hear cogs whirring in your brain from this distance.

This particular member (lapsed until I get a job and can afford it) only wears one when he judges it wise. ie when on very busy fast roads, in the dark or bad weather, otherwise it's the wind through my remaining hair too

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 23 Sep 2010, 11:01pm

I wear a helmet on the very odd ocassion that I think I might fall off my bike (and no, that's not when I go to the pub). This, on the basis that at all other times if me and the bike part company, it's because I've been knocked off the bike and the helmet is not likely to save me due to the force of such an impact being beyond the capabilities of a helmet. In the meantime I enjoy the air-thru-hair freedom and the abiility to regulate my body heat with a conventional cap that is quickly donned/removed as needed. I'd rather be comfortable and able to concentrate more on what I'm doing, that be irritated by a helmet , loose concentration and have a pile-up.

Each to their own though - if you feel better wearing a helmet, then that's fine and you get my whole-hearted support.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 24 Sep 2010, 8:27am

Looking through our DAs blog, which has photos, around 6 in 10 appear to be wearing a helmet. Very rough science.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

steady eddy

Postby steady eddy » 24 Sep 2010, 9:17am

I wear one almost all the time - I can see no reason not to. The one I have doesnt restrict my vision or my ability to turn my head and appears to have no weight, on cold days I have a skull cap to go underneath it. I feel odd riding without it.

On the occasions that I haven't worn it I have'nt noticed any difference in the space I am given by drivers, helmet or no helmet it is almost never enough!

I constantly read of people saying that the helmet broke on impact so it provided no protection. I despair - the breaking absorbs the impact so that your head doesnt!

To avoid the endless and rather pointless debate I declare that I do not support mandatory helmet wear as I have no doubt that it will reduce the ammount of bike use. This should be a matter of personal choice.

neilob

Postby neilob » 24 Sep 2010, 9:28am

In my group, its around 50%. But then again, the numbers riding with CTC groups as a proportion of the total membership is really small.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.

Si

Postby Si » 24 Sep 2010, 9:53am

There was a poll on the forum some time ago asking whether or not members wear helmets - I'm sure that you could dig it out if you tried. Although it should be noted that this was a poll offorum members, not CTC members.

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 24 Sep 2010, 10:08am

Colin63 wrote:The vast majority of riders I see around Lancaster wear helmets but I doubt that many are CTC members. Why do you ask Jonty ? It's a very specific question, I can hear cogs whirring in your brain from this distance.

This particular member (lapsed until I get a job and can afford it) only wears one when he judges it wise. ie when on very busy fast roads, in the dark or bad weather, otherwise it's the wind through my remaining hair too

Colin - I hope you get a job soon but it's really difficult out there. The wind through my hair isn't an option for me as I have none remaining.
Why do I ask? It seemed to me that CTC members would be generally be fairly informed cyclists and it would therefore be interesting to know how many wore helmets presumably because they thought they offered some protection. Surely all CTC members who wear helmet can't be all acting irrationally as some suggest?
Also I think the the CTC has made representations on helmet wearing perhaps to Government and other bodies. I thought therefore that it would be likely that before doing this they would have first established how many members wore helmets and what safety benefits they thought they offered, but it seems I am mistaken.
jonty

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Sep 2010, 10:10am

Typical.

A straightforward request for information and some people immediately turn it into another helmet thread.

(PS Any data on %age of CTC members who (a) RLJ / don't RLJ (b) cycle on footway / don't ditto (c) use lights at night..................)

:wink:

PS Jonty

AFAIK the CTC has made representations that there should be freedom of choice, which is not quite the same thing.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 24 Sep 2010, 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 24 Sep 2010, 10:10am

Si wrote:There was a poll on the forum some time ago asking whether or not members wear helmets - I'm sure that you could dig it out if you tried. Although it should be noted that this was a poll offorum members, not CTC members.

Thanks for that. I'll try and look it up. I posted the previous post before receiving this.
jonty

keepontriking

Postby keepontriking » 24 Sep 2010, 10:59am

Six CTC members in this household.
None regularly wear helmets.

Therefore 100% of CTC members don't wear helmets.

Don't you just love these threads :D

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 24 Sep 2010, 11:16am

keepontriking wrote:Six CTC members in this household.
None regularly wear helmets.

Therefore 100% of CTC members don't wear helmets.

Don't you just love these threads :D

In my household 100% of CTC members ride tricycles and therefore (if similar to Motorcycle helmet laws) would be exempt from compulsion!

Actually...

Lower - so less distance to fall
Greater stability so less likely to fall

That would reduce head injuries....

Compulsory Recumbent Trikes?

markdalton

Postby markdalton » 24 Sep 2010, 11:35am

Don't ever think it can't happen to you. A month ago I came off on three metal plates strategically placed on a corner. It was raining heavily at the time and I was on my road bike. Two weeks later I was rammed by a car from behind at another junction, this time on my newly handbuilt Woodrup tourer. I was lucky in both cases not to be seriously injured. Wear a helmet.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Sep 2010, 11:46am

markdalton wrote:Don't ever think it can't happen to you. A month ago I came off on three metal plates strategically placed on a corner. It was raining heavily at the time and I was on my road bike. Two weeks later I was rammed by a car from behind at another junction, this time on my newly handbuilt Woodrup tourer. I was lucky in both cases not to be seriously injured. Wear a helmet.
:lol:

To paraphrase the football chant "Earwig O, Earwig O, ..."

And to reassure anybody worried about what sort of bike to buy, I've a bike with a frame from Woody's and I'm still OK.