When should undamaged helmets be replaced?

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
san0

When should undamaged helmets be replaced?

Postby san0 » 14 Oct 2010, 8:02pm

After visiting the Cycleshow in London, I tried some new helmets from Catlike - they're amazingly light in comparison to mine, but i just wondered if I needed to replace my 5 year old MET helmet. I think it is in good shape, no hard hits, may be dropped onto the ground a few times from waist height, but other than that, straps fine and has not been kept in direct sunlight.

mr riff raff

Re: When should undamaged helmets be replaced?

Postby mr riff raff » 14 Oct 2010, 8:11pm

Buy one anyway.......it's almost my birthday! :P
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.

gaz

Postby gaz » 14 Oct 2010, 8:12pm

From my Specialized helmet owners manual, apart from the usual warnings to throw it away if you've had an accident:-

"The Snell Memorial Foundation recommends that helmets be replaced after five years.

Note: The useful life of your helmet may be less than five years as a result of exposure to sunlight, rough handling/storage that results in dents or cuts or as a result of heavy use."

Presumably the new one will last longer if you leave it packed in it's box in a nice dark room.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

mr riff raff

Postby mr riff raff » 14 Oct 2010, 8:29pm

gaz wrote:From my Specialized helmet owners manual, apart from the usual warnings to throw it away if you've had an accident:-

"The Snell Memorial Foundation recommends that helmets be replaced after five years.

Note: The useful life of your helmet may be less than five years as a result of exposure to sunlight, rough handling/storage that results in dents or cuts or as a result of heavy use."

Presumably the new one will last longer if you leave it packed in it's box in a nice dark room.

And when you're riding :)
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.

Steve Kish

Postby Steve Kish » 14 Oct 2010, 8:30pm

I still wear my Specialized Sub Zero helmet from 1991. :mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

san0

Postby san0 » 14 Oct 2010, 8:32pm

1991 - are you sure that's OK to wear?

Well I think I'll get this for Christmas if it goes on sale.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 14 Oct 2010, 8:40pm

What you must NOT do because it is very naughty!

If your helmet is involved in a collision then some companies offer a reduced price replacement under a Crash Replacement Policy.

Some scurrilous and disreputable types (obviously no-one on this forum) have been known to damage aged, but undamaged helmets in order to take advantage of these policies and save money.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Oct 2010, 8:50pm

I'm sure I've read the arguments about this on here before and if it wasn't on here, it goes like this IIRC:

The only time anybody has really explained this (rather than just recommended it) is in connection with the hard hats worn on construction sites etc. These do not deteriorate with time. Like most helmets, they are intended to offer some head protection by deforming to absorb the energy of an impact. After an impact they should be replaced and this includes impacts from being dropped etc. It is virtually impossible to be sure of the history of a particular helmet and in particular whether it has sustained an impact which has damaged it but without that being apparent. It is thought that five years is a reasonable period, by the end of which a helmet is likely to have suffered some damage and therefore should be replaced.

Otherwise, think up your own excuse for what goes on yous Christmas List. :wink:

cyclingthelakes

Postby cyclingthelakes » 15 Oct 2010, 2:43am

I'd vote to keep it if your current helmet is a good fit. Also, if it has the click fit system in it to make it snug on the head. The old straps system did not always work out so well.

I went on an Audax, you'd see the characters wearing the helmets with no plastic cover to them as if they'd had them for years and years, just the black styrofoam, then, you see those out there wearing top-of-the-line helmets too, cost a lot like these Lazer helmets. One had a bright green helmet, it was very handsome.

A helmet is a helmet, I had a more prestigious name before I got a Bell and it works very well. After all, some Tour riders wear Bell, it's just a brand that is largely available and usually at an economic price.

I've had mine 3-5 years but if there is a proper warning to replace it every 5 years, it is up to you.

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploa ... 10-med.jpg Nice looking Bell helmets.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 15 Oct 2010, 6:46am

The statement "a helmet is a helmet" is untrue.

If you have made an informed choice to wear one then why not make the effort of sourcing one that will offer the best protection

The EN1078 standard required for a helmet on sale in the UK is banned from competition in the US as it is considered to offer so little protection.

Have a look at the standards before deciding and buy the one that suits your needs, fits and is tested to a reasonably strict standard

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 15 Oct 2010, 7:28am

Tuesdays.

You don't want to get a Monday morning helmet..

gaz

Postby gaz » 15 Oct 2010, 8:05am

san0 wrote:After visiting the Cycleshow in London, I tried some new helmets from Catlike - they're amazingly light in comparison to mine, but i just wondered if I needed to replace my 5 year old MET helmet. I think it is in good shape, no hard hits, may be dropped onto the ground a few times from waist height, but other than that, straps fine and has not been kept in direct sunlight.

You don't cycle in sunlight?

You are Count Dracula and I claim my five pounds.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 15 Oct 2010, 10:21am

[quote][A helmet is a helmet, I had a more prestigious name before I got a Bell and it works very well. After all, some Tour riders wear Bell, it's just a brand that is largely available and usually at an economic price.

/quote]

what was your name previously? If it was a more prestigious name, does that mean you are cycling aristocracy?
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

xpc316e

Postby xpc316e » 16 Oct 2010, 6:42pm

I thinkthat helmet makers are feathering their own nests by stating we ought to replace them every five years or so. Expanded polystyrene takes about 500 years to degrade, so if it has not been physically damaged, it ought to last much more than five years.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'bents trike, a Moulton-based tandem, a Scott CR1 Comp, and the latest acquisition, a custom-built SWB, above seat steered recumbent.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 17 Oct 2010, 12:16am

From what I've read it is partly the plastics/polystyrene aging which is the problem, as it deteriorates over time.
Builders/cavers/climbers helmets are shells with a sort of suspension system inside rather than polystyrene, I think....................aren't they? Horse riding helmets have polystyrene in too,though they have much tougher shells than cycling helmets.