Suitable helmet for touring

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
matt2matt2002

Suitable helmet for touring

Postby matt2matt2002 » 21 Oct 2010, 5:02pm

Anyone any opinions on the best helmet for touring?
I hope to be away in warm to hot countries and on the bike for 6+ hours each day.

I'll take it off at night,tho' :wink:
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

iviehoff

Re: Suitable helmet for touring

Postby iviehoff » 21 Oct 2010, 5:19pm

A Tilley Hat model LT5B

Goosey

Postby Goosey » 21 Oct 2010, 5:20pm

The most comfortable one (for you).

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Oct 2010, 7:51pm

Second the Tilley

However I am not sure whether the brim would count as a snag point :wink:

Barrenfluffit

Postby Barrenfluffit » 21 Oct 2010, 8:28pm

One with plenty of vents and a peak long enough to keep the sun off your face ideally, or nose / eyes if not. The heat isn't too bad until you get to a hill. then it is.

sbesley

Postby sbesley » 22 Oct 2010, 12:08am

Never found a helmet of any sort necessary for touring!

If you don't wear one generally, I wouldn't start just for a tour.

We all take a view on risk, but my view is that the freedom and pleasure of a day's touring is best enjoyed without a helmet.

So save your money!

Stephen.

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 22 Oct 2010, 1:37pm

Tilly hat - Wayyyyy cool.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 22 Oct 2010, 3:50pm

DAGNAMMIT!!! Who wouldn't love a tilley hat? .....I believe this is the future of rock n' roll :D

psmiffy

Postby psmiffy » 22 Oct 2010, 3:56pm

Yes whatever is comfortable for you - light weight helps - The only time I have worn one when touring was in NZ, it was a week before I worked out that my neck was tired from the helmet - a peak to keep the rain and sun out of the eyes - with a helmet cover they are very good in the rain

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 22 Oct 2010, 6:27pm

There could be a risk with wearing a Tilley though

You are already involved with the CTC and are considering a Tilley.

Before you know it you will be wearing sandals and a beard.

Actually that's me!

Mattie

Postby Mattie » 22 Oct 2010, 8:12pm

If you really are sure you want to wear a helmet then I reckon the Catlike Whisper Plus has the be the boyo.

For
It is very light (251 grams for large size, or 9 ozes whatever they are !)
It is white in colour and so reflects the sun
It has sort of air scoop design, so gets lots of air in to cool the bonce

Agin
Expensive
No peek (peak ?)
No protection for the back of the neck
Dipping it in water and putting it back on your head will not have any significant cooling effect

You pays your money.......... :mrgreen:

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 23 Oct 2010, 12:10pm

Thanks folks
I must admit I am not a helmet loving kinda guy.
I only started wearing one when the local bobby spoke to me and said I must be mad not to wear one.
I guess he scrapes up a few squished bikers, so I took his advice and wore a helmet for a few months until he moved away - then back to my cool head-band. :wink:
However, I think it may be safer to wear one when abroad amongst all those crazy folk who insist on driving on the wrong side of the road!

Re the Tilley hat - I like the look of it but surely the brim flaps up when traveling?
I recall old cowboys in films wearing hats with up-turn front brims as they galloped across the plains to shoot some pesky injuns.
:?
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.

irc

Postby irc » 23 Oct 2010, 2:45pm

matt2matt2002 wrote:Thanks folks
I only started wearing one when the local bobby spoke to me and said I must be mad not to wear one.
I guess he scrapes up a few squished bikers,

I'd suggest the local bobby knows not what he talks about. In rough numbers there are 150'000 cops in the UK and just over 100 cyclist fatalitiesa year. The chances of your local boby having scraped up a squished cyclist are minimal.

Look at the evidence and make your own mind up.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 23 Oct 2010, 5:46pm

irc wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:Thanks folks
I guess he scrapes up a few squished bikers,

I'd suggest the local bobby knows not what he talks about. In rough numbers there are 150'000 cops in the UK and just over 100 cyclist fatalitesa year. The chances of your local boby having scraped up a squished cyclist are minimal.

Look at the evidence and make your own mind up.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

Good point - but it was me who presumed as a bobby he would have scraped up squished bikers.
So local booby off the hook - to some extent.

Digressing slightly - of those 100 cycling fatalities, how many would have been OK if wearing a helmet - or rather, how significant in safety terms is it to wear a helmet if involved in an accident?
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.

irc

Postby irc » 23 Oct 2010, 6:03pm

matt2matt2002 wrote:Digressing slightly - of those 100 cycling fatalities, how many would have been OK if wearing a helmet - or rather, how significant in safety terms is it to wear a helmet if involved in an accident?

One estimate is 10-16%. This is based on assessments of the injuries sustained in over 100 fatals and eliminating those where the cause of death was not a head injury or it was clear the forces involved were in excess of those where a helmet would help. This study along with much other info on helmet design and performance is available in a report as a free download at

http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/repor ... idence.htm

My own take on the subject is that if I knew I was going to crash I'd rather have a helmet on. I believe they do provide some limited protection, especially against minor cuts and bruising. On the other hand I've never had a head injury accident in 40 years cycling. For the experienced rider cycling is safe. But then I don't race, on or off road. My cycling is commuting, touring, or slow MTBing. I believe that my risk is so low a helmet is not required. Your choice may be different.

Don't forget that if anyone feels they are safer wearing a helmet they might take more risks (riding faster or on busiers roads for example) and cancel out any benefit. Because cycling is so safe anyway and the number fatals so small it is hard to measure these sorts of things accurately.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?