Wrongheaded - the campaign against compulsion!

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
snibgo

Re: Wrongheaded - the campaign against compulsion!

Postby snibgo » 17 Jul 2012, 11:08am

Yeah, that report could have used a decent editor.
Research by the National Cyclists’ Organisation, found that countries in Europe with higher levels of cycle use tend to be less dangerous for cyclists, which they attributed to a safety-in-numbers effect, as well as better provisions for cyclists

Who is this mysterious "National Cyclists’ Organisation"? I think we should be told.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 17 Jul 2012, 6:42pm

Google it - the answer may surprise you!

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 17 Jul 2012, 11:09pm

The phrase (or something like it, such as "national cyclng charity") is often used by CTC. But the report doesn't mention CTC, just "the National Cyclists’ Organisation". Is CTC changing its name? Perhaps it has already.

Carnifexblue

Postby Carnifexblue » 10 Aug 2014, 5:39pm

I can't see what all the fuss is about. My main interest is horse riding and I have only recently returned to cycling. Every time I have fallen off a horse I have been extremely grateful I was wearing a helmet. I am a decent rider and a qualified ride leader but things happen as presumably they do with cycling. I was a rock climber for many years and also wore a helmet there too. On several occasions it saved my head from falling rocks and protruding rock I hadn't seen. One head one life, why would you not want to wear one? I think a lot could be done though to design better more comfortable helmets.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 10 Aug 2014, 6:26pm

Carnifexblue wrote:I can't see what all the fuss is about.

You could save us all a lot of trouble by reading previous threads in this ghetto of a sub forum. I think all the different elements in the controversy have been covered already.
Given the abject failure of helmet compulsion laws, or even big increases in voluntary wearing, to affect head injury rates I can only agree with you. How come there is anyone left advocating helmet wearing? Why all the fuss about the useless objects?

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 10 Aug 2014, 6:42pm

Carnifexblue wrote:One head one life, why would you not want to wear one?

So you...
- wear a full motorbike spec helmet
- even when walking
- particularly whilst in the kitchen
- especially in the bathroom

The issue is that the risk associated with cycling is *lower* than that associated with walking, where you probably wouldn't think it important to wear a helmet (ignoring efficacy at this point).

I've got this Grizzly Bear repellent I can sell you. Guarantee you win't be attacked by a grizzly whilst you carry it in the UK, outside zoos, circuses, safari parks
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Aug 2014, 10:47pm

Carnifexblue wrote:I can't see what all the fuss is about. My main interest is horse riding and I have only recently returned to cycling. Every time I have fallen off a horse I have been extremely grateful I was wearing a helmet. I am a decent rider and a qualified ride leader but things happen as presumably they do with cycling. I was a rock climber for many years and also wore a helmet there too. On several occasions it saved my head from falling rocks and protruding rock I hadn't seen. One head one life, why would you not want to wear one? I think a lot could be done though to design better more comfortable helmets.

There is the wonderful Thudguard

RoSPA thinks it has a similar safety contribution as cycle helmets, it is endorsed by the President of the College of Emergency Medicine and many other experts, neurologists, paramedics and parents.

One head one life, why would you not want your child to wear one?

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 11 Aug 2014, 8:55am

[XAP]Bob wrote:I've got this Grizzly Bear repellent I can sell you. Guarantee you win't be attacked by a grizzly whilst you carry it in the UK, outside zoos, circuses, safari parks

Reminds me of the old joke of a man that finds his neighbour scattering small scraps of paper all over his garden:

Man: What are you doing?
Neighbour: These bits of paper keep the elephants away
Man: But we don't have elephants round here
Neighbour: Yes, effective aren't they.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 13 Aug 2014, 8:44am

rabmania wrote:Oh dear...

Very restrained, that 'Oh dear...'

Ms Moran, who has two children, Ryan and Cian, fell from the balcony of her first floor flat in Charing Cross while sleepwalking in 2006.

So , does she campaign for better treatment for sleepwalkers? or for sleepwalkers to be tied to their beds (if it saves just one life!...), or for higher balcony rails? or for shorter buildings (bungalows)? or for softer ground around buildings?..

No - she campaigns for cycle helmets.

Oh dear...

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 13 Aug 2014, 6:30pm

Now, I knew this guy who used to sleepwalk and cycle at the same time. How does falling off a balcony sleepwalking have any relevance to cycling???
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 13 Aug 2014, 6:43pm

Phil Fouracre wrote:Now, I knew this guy who used to sleepwalk and cycle at the same time.

He should have joined the circus.

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 13 Aug 2014, 7:41pm

Now there could be a good campaign! Full body armour for circus performers! Got to be a winner, you never know, it 'could save a life'.........
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

irc

Postby irc » 13 Aug 2014, 9:24pm

carsickglasgow

Postby carsickglasgow » 26 Aug 2014, 6:53pm

In a rare stroke of competence Glasgow City Council did, in fairness, give it the response it deserved!