Jeremey Vine again

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
[XAP]Bob

Jeremey Vine again

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Sounds like there is a helmet debate about to be had...

Second item...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01132x4 wrote:CYCLE HELMETS

Should cycle helmets be made compulsory?
Do they make a difference anyway, and if they were made compulsory would this stop people from cycling?
Jeremy talks to Labour MP Emily Thornberry and Julie Townsend; Campaigns Director of the Road safety charity BRAKE.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
snibgo

Re: Jeremey Vine again

Post by snibgo »

Starting now (12:32).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ended up more balanced than expected -
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

You think it was balanced? The helmet piece seemed to be him putting forward his own point of view, agreeing with guests and callers who agreed with him and more or less disagreeing with the others. He's done his research, and I agree with his conclusions, but it was boring radio.

Jeremy Vine hasn't tempted me away from Radio 4. Although I confess I enjoyed the trouncing given to the lady from Brake.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Talking of which, the current Radio 4 drama (2:15 to 3pm) is about cycling.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

snibgo wrote:You think it was balanced? The helmet piece seemed to be him putting forward his own point of view, agreeing with guests and callers who agreed with him and more or less disagreeing with the others. He's done his research, and I agree with his conclusions, but it was boring radio.

Jeremy Vine hasn't tempted me away from Radio 4. Although I confess I enjoyed the trouncing given to the lady from Brake.

It was more balanced than most items I hear on the issue.

Even the lady from BRAKE was saying that other measures are important...
downfader

Post by downfader »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
snibgo wrote:You think it was balanced? The helmet piece seemed to be him putting forward his own point of view, agreeing with guests and callers who agreed with him and more or less disagreeing with the others. He's done his research, and I agree with his conclusions, but it was boring radio.

It was more balanced than most items I hear on the issue.

Even the lady from BRAKE was saying that other measures are important...

Brake gave a lot of abuse, for want of a better word, towards Baker when he said he wont wear one and gave sound reasons. They've almost dissuaded me from supporting them in other areas as a result. :( If those other measures are about prevention then I will be glad.
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

Certainly not very polemical.

Cue the usual anecdote of someone whose helmet saved his life because it completely broke up...

But the way the woman from Brake got shot down was pure class!! :D :D :D
downfader

Post by downfader »

TwoPlusTen wrote:Certainly not very polemical.

Cue the usual anecdote of someone whose helmet saved his life because it completely broke up...

Shooting down people like that always feels a hollow victory in my view. This is an area where the accident data, the mechanisms of collision AND the causality are important. Brake, along with Headway, have seemingly focussed a little too much on accident data and outdated research. :?
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

downfader wrote:
TwoPlusTen wrote:Certainly not very polemical.

Shooting down people like that always feels a hollow victory in my view. This is an area where the accident data, the mechanisms of collision AND the causality are important. Brake, along with Headway, have seemingly focussed a little too much on accident data and outdated research. :?

So what is the victory? You don't normally win a battle with the first shot.
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

downfader wrote:Brake gave a lot of abuse, for want of a better word, towards Baker when he said he wont wear one and gave sound reasons. They've almost dissuaded me from supporting them in other areas as a result. :(
Is there anything Brake do that Roadpeace don't do equally well?
downfader

Post by downfader »

SilverBadge wrote:
downfader wrote:Brake gave a lot of abuse, for want of a better word, towards Baker when he said he wont wear one and gave sound reasons. They've almost dissuaded me from supporting them in other areas as a result. :(
Is there anything Brake do that Roadpeace don't do equally well?

Two other cyclists on another forum said that to me and suggested Roadpeace instead. :)