Retro "Sportive" in the South East for 2012

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Paul_T

Re: Retro "Sportive" in the South East for 2012

Post by Paul_T »

Just to add to the voices here that find the idea of a retro event with helmets a ridiculous concept - it's also laughable to insist on flat pedals or straps in the same breath. Sadly I bent my Holdsworth in 3 places so I can't enter any retro rides - as for me, I suffered the classic cuts and bruises - the one essential bit of bike gear (and I feel naked without them) is gloves.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I got quite excited by this idea , i only ride retro' bikes ...until the helmet bit ...sorry shan't bother ...
oh! track mitts ....never leave home without them...
my 7 year old grandson rides with them all the time ...even to school.
Maybe they should be compulseory :) :)

any way, since when have the chilterns been in the south east ???
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:... since when have the chilterns been in the south east ???

As a native of South Derbyshire, who's also lived in Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Leicestershire, but is now resident in Surrey, that seems fair enough to me. When I go ride in the Chilterns, that area feels a lot more akin to where I live now than any of those other places that are universally acknowledged to be "The Midlands".
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Well the chilterns run through none of the counties you mentioned (Herts, Beds, Bucks & oxon) Of those strictly speaking only Oxfordshire & Bucks are classified as part of the South East :)
CJ

Post by CJ »

Tonyf33 wrote:Well the chilterns run through none of the counties you mentioned (Herts, Beds, Bucks & oxon) Of those strictly speaking only Oxfordshire & Bucks are classified as part of the South East :)

Two out of four doesn't seem too shabby. And county boundaries do not necessarily align with geographical identies. My county of birth is a case in point: South Derbyshire feels like part of the Midlands and is generally regarded as such, whilst the Derbyshire Dales are undeniably Northern.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
PW

Post by PW »

Naaa, the boundary is the Yorks border. The Sheffield bit is North, the civilised bit is N.E. Midlands. I'm civilised by about 6 miles! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
CJ

Post by CJ »

To get us back onto topic, I am pleased to note in the parallel thread about this on the People Events & Rides board, that does NOT discuss helmets, that helmets will after all be optional. Since the OP doesn't seem to be looking at this discussion anymore, it might be nice to post some encouragement over there.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
gaz

Post by gaz »

CJ wrote:To get us back onto topic, I am pleased to note in the parallel thread about this on the People Events & Rides board ... that helmets will after all be optional.

No, it's now compulsory not to wear them for the event.

Retro Chiltern wrote:Update:....
4) No helmet compulsory

Although I expect that optional was intended. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade