Retro "Sportive" in the South East for 2012

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Steady rider

Re: Retro "Sportive" in the South East for 2012

Post by Steady rider »

Just list the event as a CTC ride with HQ, they are insured and do not require helmets to be worn on rides. Then all suitable cyclists would feel welcome.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

Sounds a good wheeze.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its unbelievable! The anti helmet police who are obviously running these forums have removed my post because I observed that a helmet had protected me from a serious head injury. What sort of moron has been allowed to do that? Long live truth, the right to an opinion and free speech!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

al_yrpal wrote:Its unbelievable! The anti helmet police who are obviously running these forums have removed my post because I observed that a helmet had protected me from a serious head injury. What sort of moron has been allowed to do that? Long live truth, the right to an opinion and free speech!

The topic has been split to remove the contentious helmet discussion from the original. So if you want to make any comments about the use of helmets in this context this is the place to do so.
Your original post is still in the original part of the thread.

I think you just might need to make any apology to the moderators for the above.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am totally confused now.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

A good move by the mods, I think. Any topic involving helmets is likely to provoke strong responses on both sides. It would be a pity in petty 'rules' demanded by an insewerants company were to spoil what could be a good event. Al, you are, of course, perfectly at liberty to make your point aboput a helmet. Might I be permitted to temper it by saying that it is your opinion/belief that the helmet saved you from serious injury or even death. But is is your opinion/belief, not a proven scientific fact. My own opinion/belief - and also not a proven scientific fact - is that an egg box might help reduce the very minor injuries likely were I to fall off at very low speed, but would be totally useless at my normal commuting speed (not fast either :oops: ) or were I to be hit by a motor vehicle. You pays your money and takes your choice.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am sorry, but I have read a lot of these anti helmet posts and my opinion is that the people who persist in that view are wrong. I sincerley hope that helmets are made compulsory and will add my voice to the campaign for them. I am not wasting my time by joining any discussion. I know what I know.

Al
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

We know there were 191000 deaths in 2008 due to heart and circulatory disease, one every 3 minutes, ask the British Heart Foundation.

We know there where 111 cyclist deaths in 2010, see DfT figures, one every 4375 minutes.

We know helmets cannot save many if any lives.

We know helmet laws discourage cycling, see Cyclehelmets.org for details.

We know helmet laws do more harm than good.
Last edited by Steady rider on 22 Oct 2011, 3:21am, edited 1 time in total.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

al_yrpal wrote:I I know what I know.

Sorry, but you believe what you believe. That is your right. Mine is to disagree strongly based on a large body of scientifuic research, the results of some of which have been quoted in the post above. By advocating compulsion you are attempting to force your views on others. hardly democratic. Nothing personal.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

al_yrpal wrote: I sincerley hope that helmets are made compulsory and will add my voice to the campaign for them.

diapason0 wrote: By advocating compulsion you are attempting to force your views on others.

Now I am confused the statement made by al is perfectly clear to me, so how does it get turned?
I will also not get into any debate about helmets or not.
If anybody wants to try amateur Psychology please give it a go.
Keith Edwards
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

To go back to the original issue (one of insurance companies requiring helmets)..

has anyone ever asked an insurance company for the evidence they use to make such a restriction?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Can we not have those who do not want to wear a helmet sign a waiver form relating to helmet preventing injuries, i.e. abrasions & minor lacerations

Shame, would love to have a run out on this......but a helmet isn't in keeping with a 'retro' bike & given the lack of real protection from such in any case, I'm out :(
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Can we not have those who do not want to wear a helmet sign a waiver form relating to helmet preventing injuries, i.e. abrasions & minor lacerations

Cycling without a helmet is OK, so why should they sign anything?

The CTC should ban non-racing events that require helmets as a pre condition to taking part, because it not in keeping with trading standards in regards to discrimination and equal opportunity aspects. It is also imposing a questionable safety product that may increase certain types of head injury, eg diffuse axonal injury.

Cycling with a helmet can increase the accident rate, eg Erke and Elvik (Norwegian researchers) 2007 stated: "There is evidence of increased accident risk per cycling-km for cyclists wearing a helmet. In Australia and New Zealand, the increase is estimated to be around 14 per cent."
( Erke A, Elvik R, Making Vision Zero real: Preventing Pedestrian Accidents And Making Them Less Severe, Oslo June 2007. page 28 http://www.toi.no/getfile.php/Publikasj ... 7-nett.pdf
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Steady rider wrote:The CTC should ban non-racing events that require helmets as a pre condition to taking part

Are you saying that no CTC member should be allowed to take part in these events?

OR That nobody should be allowed to ride in any CTC event if wearing a helmet?

OR That the CTC should stop all events that require the wearing of a helmet?
Keith Edwards
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

I think he means that the CTC should not allow any event to be held under it's banner which insists on helmet wearing for entry. Of course, those who wish to wear them are free to do so.