Just washed mine

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mick F
Spambuster

Just washed mine

Post by Mick F »

My helmet pads and straps get washed now and again. The sweat builds up! I bought replacement pads when I bought the helmet, so when the originals wore out, I had new ones to put in. They fit with Velcro.

The straps gets manky too. So I remove them and give them a good washing - and drying, but they are a devil to lace up properly back on and fit the buckle, clips and stuff. It takes me ages to do - trial and error! Anyway, the helmet is done, and it's clean and fresh and fits properly.

Does anyone else go to this trouble?
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Re: Just washed mine

Post by Redvee »

I did with my old Centurion helmet, the grey straps had yukky brown water running off them :shock: I spent longer refitting the straps than adjusting them from new.
jezer

Post by jezer »

My Giro came with two sets of pads. I eventually fitted the spares after suffering a pong for several weeks :oops: Haven't done anything with the straps though, they are now stiff with gunge :shock:
Power to the pedals
porky

Post by porky »

Take pads out and put them in a mesh bag. Soak in Zoflora solution for 15 minutes (other, non-flowery disinfectants are also available). Put gloves in too. Then wash in washing machine. Use a cloth soaked in same disinfectant solution to wipe straps and inside helment.

All clean, bacterial killed and leaves you smelling of roses :)
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder if the whole helmet - complete with pad, straps, clips and all - could go in the washing machine as a complete item?
Mick F. Cornwall
fimm

Post by fimm »

Mick F wrote:I wonder if the whole helmet - complete with pad, straps, clips and all - could go in the washing machine as a complete item?

I'm sure it could... but whether it would be useful for protecting you from anything more solid than criticism afterwards is a different question...
Of course it's a race...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's similar to what Mrs Mick F said to me when I suggested it to her! :oops:
Handwash the whole thing was her suggestion back to me. That has merit, I think.
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Certainly no need to faff with removing and replacing straps etc. I simply dunk the whole thing in a large bucket of warm soapy water, with a weight to hold it under, and leave to soak overnight; then rinse thoroughly the next day. The helmet dries very quickly, and comes to no harm. This effectively gets rid of the ingrained salt, which is the main objective.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Mine comes in the shower with me, not every time. Bit of shower gel, quick rub around and rinse, no problem
'Kernow bys Vyken'