What's in a helmet?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
McVouty

Re: What's in a helmet?

Post by McVouty »

In the same way that not all makes of running (and cycling) shoes fit my feet, not all makes of helmet fit my head.
+1 for the most important thing being making sure that (if you wear one) your helmet fits and is adjusted properly.
And +1 for this moving to the helmet thread.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Sorry, I didn't know there was one. It doesn't appear on my Board index - where is it? (Reply to the last post but one.)
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

It's a sub-forum of 'Campaigning and Public Policy', not a thread. It used to appear on the front of the index, but doesn't any more.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I too was/am ignorant of the helmet thread... I did a simple search before I posted my question but didn't come up with anything :oops:

So it looks like a visit to EBC is in order. I don't have any illusions that a helmet will magically protect me. With the aches I'm experiencing today from my hip I'm seriously considering body armour. Or maybe sitting permanently on my trike.

I'm lucky that in 40 years of riding I've only had three serious smashes, and none of those involved another vehicle. I'm generally fairly good at staying on, honest! My MTB episodes tend to be slow speed gentle topples.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

hercule wrote:I too was/am ignorant of the helmet thread... I did a simple search before I posted my question but didn't come up with anything :oops:

McVouty wrote:It's a sub-forum of 'Campaigning and Public Policy', not a thread. It used to appear on the front of the index, but doesn't any more.

Yes, its hidden away in its own ghetto to make it easier for those who don't want to read anything which might shake their conventional wisdom.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Catherine Wheels have always been my favourites - sorry, I forgot, no fireworks...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PaulCumbria wrote:Catherine Wheels have always been my favourites - sorry, I forgot, no fireworks...

I remember from my chilhood in Oz bangers with their wicks plaited together like a string of onions. Chinese I suppose. I expect they are banned by H & S nowadays. Does anyone else remember them?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Now that it's where it belongs, it's sure to attract some controversy :wink:

FWIW, I have a Specialized S-works for the following reasons
-it meets the Snell standard
-it is the lightest and most comfortable helmet I've ever tried
-replacement pads and things are easy to get

Another difference between brands is their replacement policy. Specialized and a few other brands will replace helmets that have been in a crash, either at a substantial discount, or for free. They usually require an orginal receipt, and the damaged helmet. Check with your LBS or Specialized dealer.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

It does seem sad that a non-controversial discussion about the technicalities of helmet manufacture and design has been sent to this dark corridor BEFORE anybody took it back into the same old arguments.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Well, I don't guess it really matters where it is, but consensus up thread seemed to be to move it. Despite the lack of controversy...

I can move it back, at least until it attracts the usual stuff. :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute is a US based organisation that promotes helmet use, but refreshingly also recognises many of the downfalls and is realistic about many of the materials and designs.
They do a whole section on Standards that probably gives more detail than you really need to know!

Otherwise it is complex.

The Snell standards are not compulsory in the way that the EN1078 is, so some companies simply don't pay for the helmets to be tested. So it is posssible that Giro helmets would pass if tested.

Equally there are cheap helmets that are Snell certified, whilst more expensive ones aren't

Finally someone like Scott and POC come along with a brand new system called MIPS that they are claiming are the safest helmets, will revelutionise helmets etc.....
hercule

Post by hercule »

I now feel put in my place!

I've never stumbled on this subforum before. Perhaps that explains why the forum as a whole has been so helmet-free, unlike some US recumbent forums I have visited...

But thanks for the information, and for not flaming me... :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Vorpal wrote:Now that it's where it belongs, it's sure to attract some controversy :wink:

So far only about your pre-emptive strike. :wink:

Nobody had even lit the blue touch paper yet. :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

fit is the single most important thing - if it doesn't fit (properly, snug and secure) then it's not going to be in the "right" place when you meet another object.

The discussions over efficacy are best kept for elsewhere...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.