Bicycle helmets – A case of risk compensation?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

Re: "Bicycle helmets – A case of risk compensation?"

Post by Mike Sales »

Risk homeostasis seems to me common sense.
Human beings, and all sentient creatures, have to decide on actions in a world full of risks and rewards. They have to evaluate these externals to function as best they can.
When they are aware of changes in these externals they change their behaviour to try to achieve their desired balance.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Re: Bicycle helmets – A case of risk compensation?

Post by Vorpal »

Topics merged (this study was discussed when it came out).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Re: "Bicycle helmets – A case of risk compensation?"

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:Risk homeostasis seems to me common sense.
Human beings, and all sentient creatures, have to decide on actions in a world full of risks and rewards. They have to evaluate these externals to function as best they can.
When they are aware of changes in these externals they change their behaviour to try to achieve their desired balance.

Though the really interesting bit of RH wrt plastic hats is the alteration in *other's* behaviour because they perceive you to be safer.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Steve300

Re: New academic study on risk compensation

Post by Steve300 »

meic wrote:I am convinced by the idea of risk compensation and consider taking a fall at 40mph down a hill in my full motorcycling armour to be quite safe (unless I get tangled with any thing solid like a motorbike) compared to coming off in shorts and t-shirt, OUCH!
I ride accordingly.

However a silly little plastic cycling hat doesnt fill me with any feelings of security at all.

Yep I would say 99.8% of cyclists just use a plastic cycling helmet that is not gonna save you from your face getting smashed and deformed. If all wear a full face helmet that will save your dental treatments