How to get more people into cycling?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
pjclinch

Re: How to get more people into cycling?

Post by pjclinch »

Gill's stance is entirely reasonable, and he doesn't undo his good work because he establishes a clear distinction between what one does as an individual on the basis of personal feeling and what can be sensibly recommended to others on an evidential basis. Read the report fully and you see he clearly states that there is insufficient credible evidence for a policy of mandating or even recommending them.

If someone wants to wear one themselves the only reason they need is "I just want to wear this". That is an eminently good and sensible reason to wear a helmet, especially if they have the good grace to admit there's a degree of rationalisation in there.

Reading that I thought he was supporting pro-helmet arguments about how they protect and the evidence of any downsides can be conveniently ignored

Eh?
You managed to get a very weird spin on it if that was the case!

He is (by my reading) describing typical reactions of folk like the father of the lad in the coma, and contrasting that to the issues that need to be considered (aka The Bigger Picture) before telling people they either must or ought to be wearing these things.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Dondare

Post by Dondare »

chris_suffolk wrote:Just seen the BBC news, where Wiggo is again saying we need complusion on helmets to improve the take up of cycling within the UK.

Personally, I would think that bringing us into line with Europe where drivers are at fault unless proved otherwise would be a better place to start.

Thoughts anyone??

Wiggins won the TDF, not Mastermind.

When discussing strict liability (presumed liability, proportional liability or whatever) be very careful as to how you use the word "fault". (Also "blame".)
Dondare

Post by Dondare »

I once avoided getting what might well have been a very nasty knock on my head because I wasn't wearing a helmet.