Evans Cycles

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Squeezebox

Evans Cycles

Post by Squeezebox »

I have just recieved an email giving me a coupon to print out to let me have a free entry into one of the Evans cycle events.

....but you need to wear a helmet else you wont be able to ride. (guess who could sell you one?)

Oh well, not for me then, its a fair warning that the event might not be "quite my thing" for other reasons too.
bovlomov

Re: Evans Cycles

Post by bovlomov »

Are they going to check that you brakes work and that your wheel nuts are tight? It would be fun to turn up riding a death trap but wearing a helmet.
meic

Post by meic »

The bike's condition and road worthiness is your own responsibility.

For some reason the helmet wearing isnt.
Yma o Hyd
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

They require you to bring your helmet to registration in order so they can fit the timing chip. I currently still have two of them stuck on :).

Of course once you've registered you could put your helmet away and ride the route if you liked; all public roads ;)
irc

Post by irc »

Mark1978 wrote:They require you to bring your helmet to registration in order so they can fit the timing chip. I currently still have two of them stuck on :).

Of course once you've registered you could put your helmet away and ride the route if you liked; all public roads ;)

Or just ride without registering.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bovlomov wrote:Are they going to check that you brakes work and that your wheel nuts are tight? It would be fun to turn up riding a death trap but wearing a helmet.

Your idea of fun seems to differ slightly from mine. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

irc wrote:Or just ride without registering.

Well then you're into the 'riding without paying' debate ;)
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Vorpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Are they going to check that you brakes work and that your wheel nuts are tight? It would be fun to turn up riding a death trap but wearing a helmet.

Your idea of fun seems to differ slightly from mine. :wink:

On reflection, I think you are right. It wouldn't be much fun ...though it would be fun to ride a death trap without a helmet.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

If you really want to try a non helmeted ride look up the Durham Big Ride.
meic

Post by meic »

Mark1978 wrote:
irc wrote:Or just ride without registering.

Well then you're into the 'riding without paying' debate ;)

Their fault, they will not let you pay without a helmet.

PS: Durham is a hell of a long drive from here. :(
It is a moderately long bike ride from here too. :D :D
Yma o Hyd
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Squeezebox wrote:I have just recieved an email giving me a coupon to print out to let me have a free entry into one of the Evans cycle events.

....but you need to wear a helmet else you wont be able to ride. (guess who could sell you one?)

Oh well, not for me then, its a fair warning that the event might not be "quite my thing" for other reasons too.

Where is the event and when? If it isn't too far can I bagsy your freebie and try it on or will it getting you into strife going sans helmet, what are they going to do if I don't wear one, bring me down US cop stylie......lol
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Ts&Cs for Evans RideIt! events make interesting reading:
Compulsory helmet wearing is definitely nothing to do with event insurance. Riding otherwise naked is permissible :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

gaz wrote:The Ts&Cs for Evans RideIt! events make interesting reading:
Compulsory helmet wearing is definitely nothing to do with event insurance. Riding otherwise naked is permissible :wink: .

The participant is fully responsible for their actions whilst attending the event. This includes the event centre and during the ride itself. We shall not accept responsibility for the actions of participants nor the consequences of their actions.

Each participant is responsible for providing their own insurance protection for their participation in the event. Payment of the Event Entry fee to Evans Cycles does not include any insurance protection for accident, sickness or negligence of any individual participant. Any accident or injury caused by a participant's actions will be the full responsibility of that participant.

The participant agrees to wear, as a minimum, a suitably designed cycling specific helmet during the whole riding section of the event. Evans Cycles reserve the right to refuse entry to the event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing.

So I'm responsible for my own safety, and for all my actions - even though the aforementioned may be compromised by a requirement for the ride.

Yeah, another ride I'll not be joining - although it would be amusing to wear a cycle helmet on one's elbow.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

Tonyf33 wrote:
Squeezebox wrote:I have just recieved an email giving me a coupon to print out to let me have a free entry into one of the Evans cycle events.

Where is the event and when? If it isn't too far can I bagsy your freebie and try it on or will it getting you into strife going sans helmet, what are they going to do if I don't wear one, bring me down US cop stylie......lol

I just gave my ticket to Laura Trott :lol:
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Squeezebox wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:

I just gave my ticket to Laura Trott :lol:

LOL 8) :lol: i hope she was very appreciative...