cycle to school contract

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
hubgearfreak

cycle to school contract

Postby hubgearfreak » 10 Oct 2013, 8:25pm

my son's come home with a document for me to read, understand, agree to and sign, before permission to cycle to school can be given.

who's seen similar, and who's responded?

i'd be inteterested in having any such letters you may have sent back to a school.

chadderton at manx dot net

gentlegreen

Re: cycle to school contract

Postby gentlegreen » 10 Oct 2013, 9:06pm

If it's like this one, it looks somewhat grim in parts :-

Cycling Code of Conduct

1. I will wear a helmet when riding to and from school.
2. I will wear bright clothing when riding to and from school.
3. I will plan my route to and from school carefully with an adult and make sure I always use this route.
4. I will get off and walk with my bike if the traffic is too busy.
5. I will keep my bike in good condition. Every time I use my bike I will check that the brakes work and my reflectors are clean.
6. I will carry anything I need in a back pack, and I will never carry anything under my arm or hanging from the handlebars.
7. I will not use my mobile phone or listen to any musical device when I am riding my bike.
8. I will get off and walk with my bike when I get to the school gates.
9. I will use a lock to secure my bike at school.
10. I will put into practise everything I learnt during Bikeability training when I am riding to school.

I understand that if I do not follow the code of conduct, my cycle permit will be removed and I will not be able to ride my bike to and from school.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/highways/ ... scheme.htm

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 10 Oct 2013, 9:31pm

Driving code of conduct.

If you would like to drive your child to school, you must sign this code.

1. I will obey all traffic laws. In particular, I will not break speed limits and I will not park on the yellow zig-zags outside the school.

2. I will not obstruct the driveways of neighboring properties.

3. I will not squish any children who walk or cycle to school, nor their parents.

4. If parking slots around the school are occupied up by other cars, I will park further away, even if this means my poor little child has to walk a few yards.

5. I will keep my car in good condition.

6. I will not use my mobile phone nor listen to the radio or other audio device while I am driving.

7. I will not get to the school half an hour before leaving time in order to nab the prime parking next to the school entrance.

8. I will not shave or apply makeup while driving.

10. I will put into practise everything I learnt as a learner driver.

I understand that if I do not follow the code of conduct, my driving permit will be removed and I will not be able to drive my child to and from school.

Signed __________________________

The teachers have a similar code, which allows them to drive on school premises, provided they don't squish anyone.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 10 Oct 2013, 11:06pm

gentlegreen wrote:If it's like this one, it looks somewhat grim in parts :-

Cycling Code of Conduct

3. I will plan my route to and from school carefully with an adult and make sure I always use this route.
5. I will keep my bike in good condition. Every time I use my bike I will check that the brakes work and my reflectors are clean.
6. I will carry anything I need in a back pack, and I will never carry anything under my arm or hanging from the handlebars.
7. I will not use my mobile phone or listen to any musical device when I am riding my bike.
10. I will put into practise everything I learnt during Bikeability training when I am riding to school.

I understand that if I do not follow the code of conduct, my cycle permit will be removed and I will not be able to ride my bike to and from school.

1. I never wore helmet when riding to and from school.
2. I never wore bright clothing when riding to and from school.
3. I didn't plan my route to and from school carefully with an adult and make sure I always used this route.
4. I didn't get off and walk with my bike, so the traffic can't have been too busy.
5. I kept my bike in reasonable condition. Sometimes I checked that the brakes worked. I can't remember washing my reflectors.
6. I never carried anything I needed in a back pack, but I never carried anything under my arm or hanging from the handlebars. (Have they never heard of panniers?) And if you don't bother to take your homework home, there'll be no need to bring it back.
7. I never used a mobile phone, but I used an aldis lamp to chat with friends. Is a wind up gramophone a musical device?
8. I did get off and walk with my bike when I got to the school gates. That's where the cycle racks were.
9. I used a lock to secure my bike at school.
10. I put into practise some of what I learnt during the cycle proficiency course when I rode to school.

A cycle permit was not required.

These people suck the joy out of everything they touch. They need to be stopped. At least, don't ever invite one of them to your birthday party - they'll be tut-tutting about the candles on the cake and asking about risk assessments for musical chairs. Oh, Sorry!, I shouldn't have said all that. I'll be arrested for inappropriate behaviour. Bleurgh!

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 11 Oct 2013, 9:58am

If it has items that are rubbish, you should take it up with the school, as the rubbish tends to be misunderstanding and ignorance rather than actually malign.

My kids' school wanted to impose a helmet rule, I went in armed with Time Gill's "Cycling and Children and Young People" and "Cyclecraft" and said why I thought it was a Very Bad Idea backed up with authoritative references, and they listened and withdrew the requirement. It was cock-up, not conspiracy.

This kind of thing is well meaning but usually misguided by idiotic restrictions, and where it is idiotic it must be shown to be idiotic. If they're doing Bikeability then enlist the Bikeabiity provider to provide you with more ammunition. If they think it's a good idea then complain very loudly to their management and if no joy there then escalate, probably via CTC Campaigns.

Taking the example we've seen here (Google throws up similar)...

Cycling Code of Conduct

Most of it is none of the school's business. 8 and 9 are the only things that are, and it's on the school's patch and they have every right to insist there. So we'll give them 8 & 9, but even if they revoke this "license" then all they can really do is stop the child keeping their bike on school premises. It's up to you how they get about outside of the school.

1 is very directly contrary to the recommendations of the Goodwin Report for the Get Britain Cycling enquiry, and that should be printed out and shown to any school insisting on such a damn-fool piece of irrelevant bullying (""Schools... should be incentivised to promote cycling for their pupils... They should not simply seek to ban or restrict cycle use, or to impose helmet rules – these are not only misguided in terms of health and safety, but may also be illegal." ").

6 is idiotic beyond belief, because it effectively forbids use of proper cycle luggage!

4 is meaningless because "too busy" is not defined.

The school is responsible for your child while they are at school. They are not responsible for how they travel to school, their carers are.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

gentlegreen

Postby gentlegreen » 11 Oct 2013, 10:01am

To be fair, after finding that one, I found several where the helmet and hi-viz (and even lights !) were advisory ...

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 11 Oct 2013, 10:04am

This is the one I most object too. First of all what's "too busy" and secondly why should the child have to walk just because the roads are too busy?

Agreed with what's said above that there is no 'code of conduct' for being driven or walking to school, bicycles shouldn't be singled out.

gentlegreen

Postby gentlegreen » 11 Oct 2013, 10:29am

This one is a corker :-

www.kenttrustweb.org.uk

Cycle To School Contract
Riders Guidelines

• Bicycles must be roadworthy.

• Any dangerous or inconsiderate behaviour will mean that permission to cycle to school is withdrawn.

• They must push their cycle when they are inside school grounds. (Cycling or riding when they are standing on the pedals is very dangerous)

• When crossing roads on their bicycle they should dismount and push their cycle. Riding across the road is dangerous.

• They must not interfere with any other cycle in the school.

• They must wear suitable safety aids, a correctly fitting, approved cycle helmet and an easily visible jacket or tabard ideally with reflective material on it as well

• Effective, working lights must be used when appropriate.

• They must cycle to school regularly.

• They must have and use a lock for their cycle.

honesty

Postby honesty » 11 Oct 2013, 10:35am

The school has no legal authority to stop a child cycling to school. Its just not within their powers. They can 1. stop a child from entering school grounds with a bike if they do not meet the schools requirements and 2. probably bar a child who did it for not following school rules.

1 is got round by locking the bike outside the school premises, though if my child were to do this and the bike was stolen I'd be making a claim against the school as the theft is basically their fault.

For 2 I'd really like to see a school try that one on...

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 11 Oct 2013, 10:44am

gentlegreen wrote:To be fair, after finding that one, I found several where the helmet and hi-viz (and even lights !) were advisory ...

http://www.stokemandevillecombined.co.uk/school-information/school-policies/cycling-policy/ is entertaining in this respect...

The School:
Recommends that each cyclist must ride a roadworthy bicycle, correctly adjusted to his/her height.
Recommends that each cyclist must wear a correctly fitting and adjusted safety helmet which meets the relevant safety standards for a cycle helmet.
Recommends that effective, working lights must be used when appropriate and appropriate high-visibility clothing is worn. Children must ensure they can be seen by other road users at all times.
Recommends a lock is used for each cycle left on school grounds in the school day. (The school is not liable for property brought onto our premises, and is therefore not liable for pupils’ bicycles being stolen or damaged by a third party.)
Recommends that children should not cycle to school unaccompanied unless they have completed the National Standard Cycle Training.

it's recommending, though mixing recommendations with "must" is, ummmm, interesting...

And then, after the school "recommends"...

The parent:

Makes the decision whether the child is able to cycle to school.
Agrees to explain clearly to the child all the road safety and courtesy issues involved in cycling to school.
Checks that the cycle is in a roadworthy condition and is correctly adjusted to the child’s size.
Ensures that the child is wearing a correctly fitted cycle helmet and appropriate clothing.

The child:

Agrees to cycle safely, responsibly and courteously at all times.
Dismounts and pushes the bicycle, when crossing roads.
Will dismount before entering through the school gate and walk the cycle to and from the storage area.
Must use working lights when appropriate and appropriate high-visibility clothing will be worn to ensure he/she can be seen by other road users at all times.
Is aware that wearing a correctly fitting and adjusted safety helmet will keep his/her head safe.
Understands that dangerous or inconsiderate behaviour will mean that permission to cycle to school is withdrawn.

The penultimate line is a real corker, and has to be one of the more incredibly dopey pieces of assertion I've ever seen on helmets.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Geriatrix

Postby Geriatrix » 11 Oct 2013, 1:13pm

pjclinch wrote:it's recommending, though mixing recommendations with "must" is, ummmm, interesting...

That's definitely probably wrong. :D
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 12 Oct 2013, 5:18pm

How really depressing is this! Makes me almost glad not to have kids, what chance have they got in this sort of world?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 12 Oct 2013, 5:56pm

If challenged I reckon most of these so called rules would be unenforceable anyway, the head at my sons old school positively encouraged kids to get on their bikes & made the cycle sheds completely secure. (Site manager locking/unlocking them at appropriate times). Sadly since the old head left it appears the cycle parking is massively reduced and now open to the elements where it was completely undercover before :twisted:

Ray

Postby Ray » 12 Oct 2013, 6:08pm

snibgo wrote:Driving code of conduct. . . .

Brilliant. And all very reasonable. Yesterday my granddaughter brought home a letter from the police, via school, saying that, owing to drivers persistently ignoring the 'rules', they would be videoing driver behaviour and issuing on-the-spot fines. Am looking forward to it :evil:

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

gaz

Postby gaz » 12 Oct 2013, 9:16pm

gentlegreen wrote:This one is a corker :-

Isn't it just. The intriguing bit is the Parent section of the response form:

Parent / Guardian Guidelines

• I have read, understand and accept the contract for the issue of a cycle to school permit. I give permission for my child to cycle to school according to those rules.

I understand that the safety of my child during the journey to school is my responsibility and I will help my child plan the route to be taken.

• I understand that if the contract is broken that permission to cycle to school may be withdrawn.

Name and signed by Parent / Guardian …………………………..

The bit I've highlighted is perfectly reasonable. However since the safety of my child is my responsibility why should I accept any interference in my choices.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!