helmet guilt

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
samsbike

helmet guilt

Post by samsbike »

I have been commuting with a helmet for about 2 years. I am not clear why I bother (other than its a good light holder in winter) as I wear it with the chin strap loose. I also think I am probably a little more agressive in traffic as I 'feel' safer, despite me knowing it isnt going to necessarily do a lot.

In my say 10 years of cycling I have banged my head once on the pavement quite hard.

Recently just to see what it would feel like stopped wearing one. My biggest emotion, for want of a better word, is exclusion as practically everyone is wearing one, even (sigh) on the internet. I guess my helmet feels lighter.

Does anyone else feel this why, if so why and how do you deal with it.

Thanks
Michael R

Re: helmet guilt

Post by Michael R »

I don't like banging my head on the road. I would rather scratch my helmet :o
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

samsbike wrote:I also think I am probably a little more agressive in traffic as I 'feel' safer, despite me knowing it isnt going to necessarily do a lot.

You probably are. Do a search for Risk Compensation, Risk Homoeostasis or the Peltzman effect.

samsbike wrote:Recently just to see what it would feel like stopped wearing one. My biggest emotion, for want of a better word, is exclusion as practically everyone is wearing one, even (sigh) on the internet. I guess my helmet feels lighter.

Does anyone else feel this why, if so why and how do you deal with it.

I don't. I have never owned a bicycle helmet, let alone worn one. I certainly have never felt 'excluded'.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I think excluded is the wrong word, its more 'am I missing something' by not wearing one, but I dont think I am.
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

samsbike wrote:I think excluded is the wrong word, its more 'am I missing something' by not wearing one, but I dont think I am.

You are missing your false sense of security.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

samsbike wrote:I think excluded is the wrong word, its more 'am I missing something' by not wearing one, but I dont think I am.

If you are used to a helmet then being helmetless may result in a feeling of vulnerability (which isn't such a bad thing). I bit like that feeling you get if you don't wear a seatbelt, you feel a bit exposed.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Geriatrix wrote:

If you are used to a helmet then being helmetless may result in a feeling of vulnerability (which isn't such a bad thing). I bit like that feeling you get if you don't wear a seatbelt, you feel a bit exposed.

Thanks thats like it, except I feel a seatbelt makes a difference. I wonder if they know something I dont regarding wearing a helmet. Feeling a bit vulnerable is probably not a bad thing.
Si

Post by Si »

Geriatrix wrote:

I would say that it _may_ be the other way around. If you normally wear one and then go out without one, you might find yourself being more tentative and less assertive and that could see you getting into more 'situations'. I guess it all depends on the mentality of the individual - everyone will react slightly differently.
daveanmucker

Post by daveanmucker »

Adding 2" diameter to your head is a sure way of helping to make sure you bump it!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I wore one every ride for over a decade, then I read the research in depth (I'm a scientist in the NHS so I had access to a research library and a good set of skills to appreciate what's there) and decided I shouldn't bother any more...

It was a bit odd at first, not surprising as I was over-ruling my gut feeling "common sense" that I was safer with one. Part of it was thinking how stupid I'd feel if I fell off and bumped my head after spending 10+ years giving it extra protection! But over 10 years later head-bumping has not occurred and I have had better comfort and less faffing and it doesn't bother me any more. The icing on the cake for confirming the decision as right for me was riding in Amsterdam, where you'd feel a bit strange with one on.

(my riding is transport/utility and leisurely touring)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Graham

Post by Graham »

Pete,

I'm impressed by your webpage about cycle helmets. Short-ish, concise and easy to read.

. . . . and it coincides exactly with my own view.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Graham wrote:Pete,

I'm impressed by your webpage about cycle helmets. Short-ish, concise and easy to read.

. . . . and it coincides exactly with my own view.

I agree its a great summary, thanks
mjr

Post by mjr »

samsbike wrote:Recently just to see what it would feel like stopped wearing one. My biggest emotion, for want of a better word, is exclusion as practically everyone is wearing one, even (sigh) on the internet.

The media is lying to you. Recent estimates I've seen have been that somewhere between one in six and one in three (2008 figures, TRL) riders are wearing helmets.

Certainly, since I wear one less, I've noticed that helmeteds may be in the majority at many club events now, but still quite rare in the wider riding population. Long may it remain so!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

mjr wrote:
samsbike wrote:Recently just to see what it would feel like stopped wearing one. My biggest emotion, for want of a better word, is exclusion as practically everyone is wearing one, even (sigh) on the internet.

The media is lying to you. Recent estimates I've seen have been that somewhere between one in six and one in three (2008 figures, TRL) riders are wearing helmets.

Certainly, since I wear one less, I've noticed that helmeteds may be in the majority at many club events now, but still quite rare in the wider riding population. Long may it remain so!

Perhaps but on my commute about 90% have them on.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I normally wear a helmet but today, after doing some adjustments to the bike, I took it out for a short spin around the block to see if all was well. The sun was out and it was a great day. I was wearing old clothes and a pair of Five Ten leisure shoes that stuck to the flat side of my SPD combination pedals like glue. I did not wear a helmet and the short spin tuned into a ten mile ride along a riverside path. It was wonderful! Sun on my face, wind in my hair and flies in my teeth - freedom! I'd forgotten just how liberating cycling can be. Ditch all the cycle specific clothing and helmets and just get out there and ride like I did as a child (many years ago). Elsewhere on the CTC forum I have commented on Grant Petersen's book "Just Ride". He really has got it right.