Will Greenwood Riding the dales..more helmet nonsense

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Tonyf33

Will Greenwood Riding the dales..more helmet nonsense

Post by Tonyf33 »

Just watching this program, okay 3 regular non cyclists & Greenwood who does a bit here & there doing this years 1st stage.
Early in the ride Sarah Jane-Mee crashes as she tocuhed the back wheel of Elise Christie in front..then unsues the absolute lies and garbage spouting forth as WG steams in with a 3 minute piece on how helmets are going to save you.. :twisted: :twisted:

First lie WG chimes in with (to sobre music in the back ground), "that Sarah Jane's injuries were so minimal owes a lot to the fact that she was wearing a helmet"
No Will, she face planted hence the injuries to her face, the helmet had no bearing on that & she never banged her head by her own admission

Then he says, technology has moved on, exactly how Will, he uses words like "Incredibly Strong", again how strong because as can be seen time and time again, helmets break pretty easily and they just don't offer the protection that most people think they do. 'Incredibly strong' is just such a nonsense statement :roll: :roll: compared to what, a rolled up newspaper, a handkerchief??

Then goes on to show a helmet doing the 'drop test' onto a flat surface, he then states "better that than your head" and "the sensors show the effectiveness of the helmet"...what from about 12mph..so the same as when you trip and bang your head., not really THAT strong eh Will!

Finally comes up with the graph on a computer saying the better the green line below the red the better, which means what exactly when you've stated no FACTS whatsoever!
It ends with "the aim is to shorten & lower that green line and by doing so provide ever increasing protection"

What a load of old tosh, no mention of the FACT, that riding within your limits, judgment of speed/distance and hazards plus ensuring your bicycle is mechanically sound like your brakes/steering etc are all far more important than wearing a bit of polystyrene & plastic

Well done Will on showing what an utter gob shmuck you are by spouting drivel written by those just wanting to promote helmets for financial gain :twisted:
beardy

Re: Will Greenwood Riding the dales..more helmet nonsense

Post by beardy »

he uses words like "Incredibly Strong", again how strong because as can be seen time and time again, helmets break pretty easily and they just don't offer the protection that most people think they do.

He is going to tie himself up in knots here. You dont want a helmet to be "Incredibly Strong" you want it to absorb energy and they do that by crushing.

Old steel chassis cars were "incredibly strong" and modern cars crumple up at a tiny fraction of that strength. The occupants of the weaker cars survive though.

Though if modern cars were to just crack in half instead of crumpling it wouldnt do the occupants much good.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've just sent a complaint to OFCOM..I've had enough of this bulldust promotion.. :evil:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't want a helmet to be incredibly strong. I want it to be *just* strong enough to completely crush, and no more. Else it's not doing it's job.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

You're right of course, but it can't completely crush at all likely crash speeds. If it completely crushes at 12mph (which is roughly the design aim), it will be overwhelmed several times over at 20mph.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:You're right of course, but it can't completely crush at all likely crash speeds. If it completely crushes at 12mph (which is roughly the design aim), it will be overwhelmed several times over at 20mph.

Bingo.

It should completely crush at the design speed (assuming a ?3kg? head form and a linear impact), because that's the design enforced by the ridiculously low standards to which they are manufactured.

Which means that they tend to fail catastrophically (i.e. without much energy absorption) at significantly higher energies (such as those involved in a collision between a motor-vehicle and a cyclist).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

... and, given that the impact energies are dependent on the moving mass, it would make a huge difference whether the cyclist collided with the car (bad but could be worse), or the car collided with the cyclist (really bad news, because a car weighs a lot more than I do, and I'm no lightweight, for a cyclist).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And for the cyclist weight of course....
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

Tonyf33 wrote:Just watching this program, okay 3 regular non cyclists & Greenwood who does a bit here & there doing this years 1st stage.

Starts @10min in.

[youtube]DT6Tg5xRTfA[/youtube]

Watched a bit of the previous episodes looking for that and what an incredibly tedious programme it is. All about pretending to be a racing cyclist, which is about as interesting as watching paint dry. If I wanted to be a racing cyclist I would not start off as an overpaid television 'personality'.

Any television programme would be considerably more useful if those non-entities were encouraged to ride to work and go shopping with a bicycle rather than practice being tedious MAMILs/lycra louts (can someone make a film based on Grant Pederson's 'Just Ride' book please?)