Helmets and bike share

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
TonyR

Helmets and bike share

Postby TonyR » 28 Aug 2014, 6:46pm

A well written demolition of "mandatory bike helmets for bike shares".

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidenc ... ists-30135

Steady rider

Re: Helmets and bike share

Postby Steady rider » 28 Aug 2014, 9:24pm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2314001677

it mentions in regards to Melbourne;

The Traffix Group study also contained an open text field for

respondents to provide a comment on the MBS program. When

these comments were coded for commonly occurring categories,

the researchers found that approximately 46% of respondents cited

mandatory helmet legislation as having a negative impact on MBS.

When participants were asked what prevented them from using

MBS (or what prevented more frequent use by those who were

members of the scheme), helmets continued to be a feature, with

24% saying they ‘don’t want to carry a helmet around’ (the highest

response received), followed by ‘live/work outside MBS area’ and

‘docking stations not near origin/destination’.

The views on helmets reported above are supported by US

research conducted by Fischer et al. (2012) in which large differences

were found in the helmet wearing prevalence between public

and private bike riders in both Boston and Washington, DC.

When controlling for sex, time of week, and city, the results

showed a 4.4-fold greater chance of a bikeshare rider without a

helmet than a private bike rider.

The research to date on bikeshare in Australia has established

that convenience is a critical motivating factor, consistent with

international research. This paper sets out to quantify the factors

that act as barriers and facilitators to bikeshare use in Melbourne

and Brisbane, in order to fulfill the gap that currently exists quantifying

the factors that inhibit and promote bikeshare usage in Australia.

The paper also documents motivators for current bikeshare

use.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 28 Aug 2014, 10:29pm

TonyR wrote:A well written demolition of "mandatory bike helmets for bike shares".

Didn't you read about the woman who fell from her balcony while sleepwalking? That's why mandatory helmets are needed for bike shares.

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 29 Aug 2014, 8:33am

Read that, can't quite see how she made the link, perhaps it was the bang on the head?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 29 Aug 2014, 10:50am

Phil Fouracre wrote:...can't quite see how she made the link....

Did she not fall onto the head of a passing shared bike rider?

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 29 Aug 2014, 10:57am

Bike share schemes are great, you get so much space from passing drivers who assume you're about to do something daft.
I'm considering 'pimping' my own bike in City Bike colours.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 29 Aug 2014, 12:03pm

kwackers wrote:Bike share schemes are great, you get so much space from passing drivers who assume you're about to do something daft.
I'm considering 'pimping' my own bike in City Bike colours.

I think you are right about this. It is astonishing that the London scheme has such a good safety record, considering how many of the riders must be unfamiliar with the bikes (or with ANY bikes!), unfamiliar with London and unfamiliar with riding on the left. The only explanation I can think of is that drivers are terrified of the riders' unpredictability.

This is counter-intuitive on the scale of Hans Monderman's "shared space". Unpredictability = Cycle safety

Let's all ride like Italian tourists!

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 29 Aug 2014, 1:46pm

Interesting, somewhere I saw an article about helmets supported by Mr Wiggins, who said that they should be compulsory for Boris bikes, as the riders were 'scary and erratic' and you had to be very careful around them. Shot himself in the foot really. I reckon the nervous wobble has it's uses even for experienced riders, have been experimenting with this, works best with top of the range vehicles approaching from behind. Think they're terrified of 'the lower orders' scratching their precious.........
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

hufty

Postby hufty » 26 Sep 2014, 6:19pm

Just back from London where I spent a grand total of £4 on transport over two days by using the excellent Boris Bikes, changing bike every 30mins and either having a coffee or walking to the next docking station during the 5 minute enforced break between hires. :wink:

My reason for posting is to say that where I live in West Yorkshire the proportion of helmet wearers on the roads is probably in excess of 90%, ie me and a couple of other weirdos don't wear them. Down in London it looked like something out of an old CTC magazine and was more like 50:50. And there were cyclists everywhere, in amongst all the lorries and taxis and general cut and thrust.

Draw your own conclusions, but refuseniks in the provinces take heart!
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 28 Sep 2014, 10:43am

Phil Fouracre wrote:Interesting, somewhere I saw an article about helmets supported by Mr Wiggins, who said that they should be compulsory for Boris bikes, as the riders were 'scary and erratic' and you had to be very careful around them. Shot himself in the foot really. I reckon the nervous wobble has it's uses even for experienced riders, have been experimenting with this, works best with top of the range vehicles approaching from behind. Think they're terrified of 'the lower orders' scratching their precious.........

And you are Lower than Low if you ride the "wrong" sort of bike. Small wheels obviously dodgy and 'bents are, being from Another Planet, completely unpredictable and thus need several acres of room (probably the fact that they must be dangerous because they're so low nobody can see them encourages drivers to compensate whenever they, errrr, see them).

I also find the cargo bike with a bin full of spiky looking garden waste gets rather more respect than I think I'd get on a road bike in All The Gear.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

mjr

Postby mjr » 28 Sep 2014, 9:10pm

Is it really 90:10 in Yorkshire? Seems much more like the national average 75:25 around here.

I agree about the wobble but I think recumbent riders get more room because drivers think they're some sort of mobility aid. (EDIT: for disabled people.)

I doubt so many bike sharers are unfamiliar with bikes. Many are probably riders who have given up fighting to bring their own bikes on the hostile trains.
Last edited by mjr on 29 Sep 2014, 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 29 Sep 2014, 8:48am

mjr wrote:I think recumbent riders get more room because drivers think they're some sort of mobility aid.

Well... duh! :wink:
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 30 Sep 2014, 1:22pm

mjr wrote:Is it really 90:10 in Yorkshire? Seems much more like the national average 75:25 around here.

Is it really 3:1 nationally? I thought we foolhardy risk takers were still in the majority :(

horizon

Postby horizon » 30 Sep 2014, 2:16pm

Is bike sharing now the de facto term for bike hire? I thought it meant say two friends or partners sharing their bike, say at work or whatever. You cannot "share" a Boris bike (it isn't yours to share), just borrow or hire it (free perhaps, perhaps not). Where did the term bike sharing originate? Maybe car hire will now become car share?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

mjr

Postby mjr » 30 Sep 2014, 3:31pm

Bicycler wrote:
mjr wrote:Is it really 90:10 in Yorkshire? Seems much more like the national average 75:25 around here.

Is it really 3:1 nationally? I thought we foolhardy risk takers were still in the majority :(

Sorry, I meant 3:1 non:hat. I must keep things the same way round ;-) However, I've not checked the latest figures to see which way the tide has flowed: there's more riders and less money, both of which tends to reduce hat-wearing AFAIK, but I feel there's also more hat-pushing than ever.

Car clubs are sometimes called car-sharing, aren't they? So I'm OK with bike share for schemes like London Cycle Hire, Brompton Dock or Bike&Go where there's a membership/registration element and multiple hire/return points - although I think BD and B&G have to be returned to the station you hired it from, which is annoying because it's not like there isn't a transport network connnecting them...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.