Do you wear a helmet?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.

Do you wear a helmet?

Yes
31%
No
47%
Sometimes
23%

Total votes: 118

honesty

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Post by honesty »

When on the child seat we made our daughter wear hers, but in the trailer we don't. I have other considerations than crashing though for this. She has cochlear implants, I rather have a short argument about wearing the helmet than having to cycle back to pick up a smashed processor worth 4.5k... I guess the same effect could have been obtained with any retaining head gear (wooly hat for example) but again the wife likes her to wear one.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Oh no! Not another bloody helmet discussion :)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My helmet isn't bloody, it's quite clean, though often a little sweaty.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Been wearing a helmet since 1987. Only exception is when I'm on the street outside my house testing gear changes etc after adjustments. I don't stress over others not wearing them, but I think it gives me a better chance in some sorts of accident. When I started wearing one I was in a small minority, but (round here, at least) I'm now part of the majority.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pwa wrote:Been wearing a helmet since 1987. Only exception is when I'm on the street outside my house testing gear changes etc after adjustments. I don't stress over others not wearing them, but I think it gives me a better chance in some sorts of accident. When I started wearing one I was in a small minority, but (round here, at least) I'm now part of the majority.

Is it not uncomfy in bed?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. It's my girls choice as to whether they wear theirs or not. I won't force anyone either way other than what makes them happiest.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
drossall

Post by drossall »

For some reason I can't vote ("The submitted form is invalid") - I never can in these polls.

I'd vote never. I do have a helmet, for riding with Scouts mostly (it's the rules). However, it took ten years for the LBS to find one to fit and it's my only way of riding where they are compulsory, so it's far too valuable to wear normally - especially given how much difference it's likely to make :lol:
Heltor Chasca

Do you wear a helmet?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

drossall wrote:For some reason I can't vote ("The submitted form is invalid") - I never can in these polls.

I'd vote never. I do have a helmet, for riding with Scouts mostly (it's the rules). However, it took ten years for the LBS to find one to fit and it's my only way of riding where they are compulsory, so it's far too valuable to wear normally - especially given how much difference it's likely to make :lol:

Yes sorry drossall. I've found on this forum you have to be a certain age to do anything. Perhaps even vote!

(Yikes I'm going to get a beating for this [emoji55])
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Well I'll be damned , there really is a poll? I never see them in Taptalk and seen them mentioned before. So I went to web view, saw the poll but I must be too old to vote as I can't see any way to vote.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Paulatic wrote:Well I'll be damned , there really is a poll? I never see them in Taptalk and seen them mentioned before. So I went to web view, saw the poll but I must be too old to vote as I can't see any way to vote.

Maybe you have to be logged in to vote? (Switching to web view afeter using hovercraft full of eels. fo some while, the chances are you WERE NOT logged in, in the web view) - just a thought?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Bikes4two,
Thanks for that you were spot on.
The vote from Moffat is now in. [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

pwa wrote:Been wearing a helmet since 1987. Only exception is when I'm on the street outside my house testing gear changes etc after adjustments. I don't stress over others not wearing them, but I think it gives me a better chance in some sorts of accident. When I started wearing one I was in a small minority, but (round here, at least) I'm now part of the majority.

I think this is very pertinent, if helmets were that efficient at what people believe they are wearing them for why do the figures show (as they do in the compulsory wearing countries) that they have in essence ZERO effect on injuries/head injuries despite the huge swathes of helmet wearers :?:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I once sat in the pub garden for about 3 hours and counted, dozens and dozens cycled past and I never saw one without a helmet. IME almost everyone wears a helmet. The exceptions are the people who jump on a bike to cycle half a mile to the shops. When I do that often I dont wear one. Every time I do a real ride I do.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Tonyf33 wrote:I think this is very pertinent, if helmets were that efficient at what people believe they are wearing them for why do the figures show (as they do in the compulsory wearing countries) that they have in essence ZERO effect on injuries/head injuries despite the huge swathes of helmet wearers :?:

Not really wanting to get into yet another "they do work / they don't work" dabate, but I believe the statistics showing their effectiveness largely come from reported head injuries. Not everyone reports those injuries though. I've written off two helmets in my time and neither incidents resulted in a trip to A&E. The damage done to the helmets wasn't done to my bare head.
Saying a helmet offers no protection is like saying shoes offer no protection. But I wonder how many people would turn up to their doc with cuts and blisters if not for the minimal cushioning from shoes.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

al_yrpal wrote:Every time I do a real ride I do.
"real": what's unreal about riding to the shops? :roll:
"42"