Helmets vs bikeability

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.

Helmets vs L3

Helmet: Yes/sometimes, L3 Yes
12%
Helmet: Yes/sometimes, L3 No
18%
Helmet: No, L3 Yes
12%
Helmet: No, L3 No
59%

Total votes: 17

Si

Re: Helmets vs bikeability

Post by Si »

mjr wrote:How much and where do people book, Si? It sounds like it may be worth people travelling from less well served areas to it.

Unfortunately, one of the companies that I work for, that does L3, is funded by the LSTF and thus clients need to live within the city if you want it for free.

However, if you happened to be near one of their territories I'm sure that they would do anyone if the client was happy to pay: http://www.bikeright.co.uk/

Likewise, I'm happy to do anyone for free (well, the beverage of my choice) from my 'Cycle Centre' in Birmingham if I like the cut of their jib (or is that a 'gib'?). But my issue is finding the time at the moment as we have around 1500 people to train to L2 before April between us, sustrans and BR!.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:However, if you happened to be near one of their territories I'm sure that they would do anyone if the client was happy to pay: http://www.bikeright.co.uk/

their territories looks like West Midlands, Warrington, Manchester and Merseyside. Any idea how much? I'm probably being dense but I can't see it on the website.

130 miles away with expensive 4h trains is probably too far for me but I'm also thinking about people like my younger self because I read on facebook that my home county of Northamptonshire is currently outsourcing to British Cycling with its inevitable focus, rather than an everyday cycling organisation that serves everyone, and the West Midlands is nearby.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

Afraid that I don't know what BR! would charge as I've never seen them charge anyone. Instructors get paid about £30 a session around here thus if you could find an independent they might charge around that. If you went to BR! then obviously they would add to this fees, etc and a bit of profit.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mjr wrote:I'm also thinking about people like my younger self because I read on facebook that my home county of Northamptonshire is currently outsourcing to British Cycling with its inevitable focus

BC are involved with TABS and would be teaching Bikeability/National Standards for Cycle Training. That's what the focus would be, anything else would be off-piste, not the agreed curriculum, so it's nothing to do with sport.

mjr wrote:rather than an everyday cycling organisation that serves everyone

For some values of "everyone". Most of the folk I know in BC/SC are part of "everyone" but rather better served by them than CTC would manage because they are focused on racing. But just as CTC are perfectly capable of running a good sportive, I'd be very surprised if BC can't deliver NSCT.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...