Helmets vs bikeability

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.

Helmets vs L3

Helmet: Yes/sometimes, L3 Yes
12%
Helmet: Yes/sometimes, L3 No
18%
Helmet: No, L3 Yes
12%
Helmet: No, L3 No
59%

Total votes: 17

Vorpal

Re: Helmets vs bikeability

Post by Vorpal »

I selected yes/sometimes and yes.

I consider L3 training to be far more important than a helmet, but my opinion might be biased. :mrgreen:

When I worked as a Bikeability instructor, I was required by my employer to wear a helmet, and to require students to wear helmets (with some exceptions). I did make some unsuccessful attempts to get my employer to relax on the helmet issue. IMO, the biggest risk in requiring helmets was that the kids who didn't have them were borrowing classmates' helmets and passing lice around <blech>
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Probably the easiest way to do L3 in Scotland at present is volunteer to become a CT (and have your LA pay the fee for the 4 day course by promising to help out with Bikeability at local schools!), but if you're in Norfolk and they're teaching mince that's not a useful option :(

Yes that's exactly how I got and so far no local schools are needing my services.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

My first exposure to safer cycling was with an after school Cycling Proficiency course, and the basic concepts worked with me. Of course you add to your knowledge and refine things over the years, but the early start really got me thinking about what I was doing. So well done and thanks to any of you helping kids get started.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:My first exposure to safer cycling was with an after school Cycling Proficiency course, and the basic concepts worked with me. Of course you add to your knowledge and refine things over the years, but the early start really got me thinking about what I was doing. So well done and thanks to any of you helping kids get started.

I did cycling proficiency and tbh it was a waste of space. This was back in the 60's so perhaps things have changed a bit.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Current thinking is that CP would not be considered fit for purpose today. Bikeability isn't just a re-branding, although some people seem to assume that's the case.

Also worth noting that CP covered the same general areas as Bikeability 1 & 2 does, and not 3. There's an awful lot of places someone with a shiny L2 certificate ticked off for all outcomes would be woefully unprepared to deal with.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've no memory of whether I ever took cycling proficiency. I used to ride around the villages and nearby city with my friends and family, but it was in the 1980s where that was dying out, so it's quite possible that some of my school year group would have needed far more help to pass even a basic test... so if I did it, I don't think it can have been much better than that 60s version.
pjclinch wrote:(I can give you Essential Cycling Skills that covers L3 stuff, but is a "quickie" and certainly not a full L3 course).

Is it possible to take an assessment to decide what course is needed before committing to the given example of 4 days for L3? (Which means days of lost work on top of whatever course fees.)

Four days, maybe typical seven hour working days, so maybe 28 hours, plus you'd already have done two levels already... this sounds like more professional contact time than some motorists take learning to drive. Are we sure the training is proportionate and realistic?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I have taught L3, it was to adults who either not had any training, or not had any recent training. The first thing I did was assessment of existing skills. The results were anything from just talking about terms and definitions to get a common understanding (e.g. secondary and primary position) to starting with pretty basic stuff. It was clear that one person had good skills but little understanding of the basic ideas behind Bikeability.

L3 is usually to gain confidence cycling in a much wider and more challenging set of circumstances. That mostly means time in the saddle, so it can't be done in a couple of hours.

However, the 4 day training session is to become a Bikeability Instructor. It just happens that is the best way to get L3 in Scotland.

In England, some local authorities offer L3. Also, some organisations that employ cyclists pay for their employees to take L3.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I answered yes/no.

I wear a helmet because it keeps loved ones happy, and I don't believe it significantly increases the risk to me. I haven't done L3 because I live in Scotland. I have read cyclecraft, and looked into taking the instructor course, but the website was confusing and unclear, so I didn't follow it up.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

rfryer wrote:I haven't done L3 because I live in Scotland. I have read cyclecraft, and looked into taking the instructor course, but the website was confusing and unclear, so I didn't follow it up.

http://www.cyclingscotland.org/news/new-cycle-trainer-course-dates-released

mjr wrote:Is it possible to take an assessment to decide what course is needed before committing to the given example of 4 days for L3? (Which means days of lost work on top of whatever course fees.)

As Vorpal noted, that's the Cycle Trainer course, and includes all sorts of stuff you have no need of to ride a bike (e.g., how to risk assess training locations, taking beginners through the rudiments of balance, etc.) but which might be interesting anyway, especially if you do end up teaching. Level 3 formally from start to finish is about 8 hours of lessons, but unless you've a mania for box-ticking and collecting stickers and certificates most experienced riders wouldn't need to do the whole lot.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is download the course resources from https://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/delivering-bikeability/bikeability-course-guides/ and see how you're doing. A good instructor should take you beyond the resources on the page, but that will show you the sort of place you are and what's covered.

Pete.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Am I correct in saying that after four days of training you could be be qualified to teach an L3 course?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes [emoji3]
There were 3 local authority employees qualified with me who didn't normally ride bikes. To be fair though their role would be to help facilitate training rather as deliver it.

E2E info
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Scottish setup is you can teach L1-3 if you're a Cycle Trainer (4 day course), and you can also risk assess your own locations, create supporting material etc. A 1 day course will make you a CT Assistant who can teach 1 & 2, but you have to use areas a CT has risk assessed and no L3 material is covered. An extra 1 day for a CT will make you a CT+, and that lets you create CTAs.

The Scottish system is, AFAICT, more volunteer driven. There are companies contracted by LAs getting some business, but most delivery is via volunteers. That's not really fair on people who could/should be earning a living from it, but that's the way it is on the ground because nobody wants to spend money (nothing new there...).

Pete.
Si

Post by Si »

Our L3 adult courses normally last up to three hours, based on a ratio of one to one. Part of that three hours includes the static stuff, initial assessment and paperwork.

We also do journey accompaniment - not meant to be an actual L3 training session, rather we work with the client to plan routes between, say, their home and work, ride them and talk to them about the best way to negotiate the various hazards they might meet. But the emphasis is on route planning.

For some trainers the L3 is based around a journey accompaniment ride, however most of our L3s tend to be based on the city centre where we know we can find a good range of hazards and plenty of traffic to play in.

As for cycle proficiency.....I remember when they did it at my primary school: I remember riding past the playground, looking at them and wondering why they all wanted to spend the afternoon riding in circles when they could come out with me on a relaxed 15mile ride into the countryside. :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I should have added that one of the LA workers, on day one, was quite vocal about cyclists holding him up on the A75. When he left on day 4 he fully understood why those cyclist were in his road. If nothing else was learnt im sure he went away a more knowledgable and considerate driver

E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

How much and where do people book, Si? It sounds like it may be worth people travelling from less well served areas to it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.