Put a LID on it London

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
jochta

Put a LID on it London

Postby jochta » 23 Mar 2015, 4:31pm

http://putalidonit.co.uk/

Sigh. Would CTC like to respond to this crowd funded initiative?

bovlomov

Re: Put a LID on it London

Postby bovlomov » 23 Mar 2015, 5:17pm

Rather short on detail - of the perceived problem, of their budget solution, of their qualifications in the field of cycle safety. I don't blame them for not wanting to give their surnames.

92% of Boris Bikers DO NOT wear helmets, that’s crazy!

No - that's great!

A solution looking for a problem. Designers looking for a problem.

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 23 Mar 2015, 5:31pm

Sigh.

It's misguided rather than malicious.

I actually think the product meets an actual need amongst those who wish to wear helmets. They are a real inconvenience to lug around. Maybe he could be persuaded to focus upon his product rather than getting at unhelmeted cyclists.

But, yes in it's current form I do think that this campaign is potentially harmful to cycling. It undermines the messages which the national cycling bodies wish to convey that cycling is a normal and safe activity which can be done in everyday clothes. This is a big barrier to the development of a continental cycling culture.

At my most cynical, I am inclined to wonder what right somebody who has had their head 'saved' on three separate occasions by helmets has to lecture those who manage not to go around banging their heads: http://putalidonit.co.uk/more-news/why- ... thout-one/ Bad luck, bigger helmeted head, or risk compensation? Answers on the back of a postcard to...
Last edited by Bicycler on 23 Mar 2015, 5:41pm, edited 2 times in total.

Si

Postby Si » 23 Mar 2015, 5:35pm

I like the pictures of cuts to arms and legs being used as a reason for wearing a helmet.

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 23 Mar 2015, 5:38pm

Si wrote:I like the pictures of cuts to arms and legs being used as a reason for wearing a helmet.

Judging by the face one he must be talking about full-face helmets :roll:

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 23 Mar 2015, 7:03pm

Put a lid on it is everywhere, it's huge in the US where they go into schools, community centres spouting their vile lies.
I'm going to email these idiots and show them the results of helmet use on hire bike systems acrosss the world, also to give them the bare facts of helmet use in general

From cyclehelmets.org
"Melbourne City Council in Australia introduced Melbourne Bikeshare in 2010 but six months later the bikes were being little used with under 300 journeys a day (The Age, 2010b). Users have to bring their own helmet or buy or rent one from nearby stores at an additional AUD 5 per day. The council subsidises each helmet with a further AUD 8. In a bid to increase use, the council considered the use of collapsable helmets (The Age, 2010c). Despite having a bigger population than most cities, Melbourne has the worst bicycle hire rate in the world numerically and/or as a percentage of available bikes.

Next Bike in Auckland, New Zealand folded in 2010, being unable to meet its costs.Over its 3 year existence, NextBike said that the number of registered users had grown to 2,500 with up to 50 bikes being hired a day (NZH, 2010). By comparison, Dublin is only a little larger in population than Auckland (1.7 million people compared with 1.4 million in Auckland) and its bike hire scheme has attracted over 40,000 registered users in just one year with over 7,000 bikes being hired in a day. The principal difference between the cities is that there is no helmet law in Dublin.

A second Australian project in Brisbane, City Cycle, seems to be faring no better. By November 2010 the bikes were being used just 225 times per day (Brisbane, 2010b). To meet the requirements of its helmet law, the council provided 1,635 helmets for sale or hire. In January 2012, it was reported that City Cycle was losing AUD 38,000 per week and that the number of subscribers had fallen from 1,950 to 1,845 since September 2011 (Issuu, 2012)."

hufty

Postby hufty » 23 Mar 2015, 7:10pm

Well I hope you've all signed up for notifications...
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 23 Mar 2015, 7:12pm

So depressing, are we losing the battle?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

mjr

Postby mjr » 23 Mar 2015, 7:21pm

What would the slogan of an anti-helmet movement be? I know there's "wrongheaded" but that's about compulsion laws and I'd prefer something wider. I'm not impressed by "ask me why I cycle without a helmet" as a slogan.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 23 Mar 2015, 7:42pm

Bless me, I've just visited that website - I had no idea cycling was dangerous enough that you might need to wear a helmet! There was me, pootling along quiet country lanes and popping down to the shops just wearing my baseball cap to keep the sun off my bald bit and in complete ignorance of how dangerous it was (cycling that is).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 23 Mar 2015, 8:35pm

Put a sock in it?

10 years later and I had moved London. Now this is one city where you really need your wits about you when riding. Still riding with the same helmet

How far outside manufacturers recommended lifespan is that?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 23 Mar 2015, 9:25pm

mjr wrote:What would the slogan of an anti-helmet movement be?

Keep a Cool Head!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XxTR9tKyPs

Cue pics of cool people riding without helmets.

jochta

Postby jochta » 23 Mar 2015, 11:43pm

Their twitter account @putalidon is getting quite a lot of grief...

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 24 Mar 2015, 12:16am

jochta wrote:Their twitter account @putalidon is getting quite a lot of grief...

@putalidon says
totally agree & 1 death is 1 too many

Ha Ha! They've clearly given the matter a lot of deep thought. One of their multidisciplinary team must be a philosopher.

I hope you all understand now that ONE DEATH IS ONE DEATH TOO MANY.

One death is one too many, and we're here to sell you a lightning conductor hat.
One death is one too many, and that's why we can't sell you a pretzel.
One death is one too many, and we provide meteor damage insurance.
One death is one too many, which is why you need this Javan Rhinoceros repellant.

One death is one too many, and we'd like you all to fund our ineffective remedy.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 24 Mar 2015, 7:51am

I sent them an email saying what I thought was wrong with the picture yesterday (perhaps unsurprisingly, a rather different interpretation than their own).

Thus far, nobody has responded. Now there's a surprise!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...