Helmet free day

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
landsurfer

Helmet free day

Postby landsurfer » 12 Apr 2015, 12:18pm

I went for a ride this morning. 20 miles lanes and a trackway. Daughter borrowed my car , with my helmet in it.
I had forgotten how pleasant it is to ride without a helmet. Wind in my hair, cool head no strap around my chin ..... days gone by. sigh...
Passed and waved said hello to a good number of fellow cyclists, all with helmets.
I felt like I was doing something secretly naughty.

No need to start with the "what if..." , I make my own decisions.
It was a nice ride.
In 50 years on bikes I have only had 2 major accidents, both head injuries, 1 wearing a helmet.
Knocked off by fellow cyclists both times, stuff happens.

I might sneak out very early in the morning for another "non-pc" cycle... :)
The Road Goes On Forever

barrym

Re: Helmet free day

Postby barrym » 12 Apr 2015, 1:02pm

My morning was the opposite. Riding with a bunch of guys whose only (unenforced) rule is helmets. Normally don't bother. Surprisingly once I'd left home I forgot I had it on!
--
Cheers
Barry

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 18 Apr 2015, 1:04pm

Well, that's a surprise! A whole week and no one has responded to another 'helmet' thread. Agree entirely with it being very pleasant, never worn, or felt the need for one, in thirty years
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 18 Apr 2015, 1:51pm

barrym wrote:My morning was the opposite. Riding with a bunch of guys whose only (unenforced) rule is helmets. Normally don't bother. Surprisingly once I'd left home I forgot I had it on!

My old Met Stradivarius was like that. The current one - a Casco - bores holes in my forehead.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

barrym

Postby barrym » 18 Apr 2015, 3:26pm

Haven't worn it since last week, but out again with them tomorrow probably. Might just go commando and see what they say:-). Two are doctors, one who had an off and split his helmet...........please don't comment on that last bit!!!
--
Cheers
Barry

horizon

Postby horizon » 18 Apr 2015, 3:30pm

I thought this thread was going to be a suggestion for a national helmet-free day. And why not? Can anyone suggest a day please (same day each year)?

And then it can be a chance to promote a wonderful care-free day of wind-in-your-hair cycling. Let's go for it!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 18 Apr 2015, 4:54pm

horizon wrote:I thought this thread was going to be a suggestion for a national helmet-free day. And why not? Can anyone suggest a day please (same day each year)?

Has to be April the first .... please :)
The Road Goes On Forever

barrym

Postby barrym » 18 Apr 2015, 6:09pm

landsurfer wrote:
horizon wrote:I thought this thread was going to be a suggestion for a national helmet-free day. And why not? Can anyone suggest a day please (same day each year)?

Has to be April the first .... please :)

Why not? It'll please everyone:-)
--
Cheers
Barry

easyroller

Postby easyroller » 18 Apr 2015, 6:21pm

I had a nice helmet-free ride today through the park. :)

Normally I always wear one when riding on the road but some days it's just nice to go without. I've got a pretty comfy helmet anyway so once it's on I hardly notice it unless it's a very hot day.

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Apr 2015, 12:34pm

And then it can be a chance to promote a wonderful care-free day of wind-in-your-hair cycling. Let's go for it!

How about picking a day during Bike Week 2015 for the first one?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

horizon

Postby horizon » 20 Apr 2015, 1:00pm

That's an excellent idea - any particular dates?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Apr 2015, 2:49pm

horizon wrote:That's an excellent idea - any particular dates?

Well, it's 13th – 21st June 2015. I'll almost certainly be riding somewhere on Tuesday 16th but I don't mind which day too much.

Looking at possible days to avoid, Sunday 14th is a big helmet-requiring sportive near me, so I'd prefer avoiding that, because I'm unlikely to persuade many to risk disqualification under British Cycling's rules; and the 19/20/21st weekend is York Rally and the Eroica Brit, so people might be busier with other things. So I think that leaves 13th and 15th-18th... but I really don't mind.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

hufty

Postby hufty » 24 Apr 2015, 5:10pm

easyroller wrote:I had a nice helmet-free ride today through the park. :)

Normally I always wear one when riding on the road but some days it's just nice to go without. I've got a pretty comfy helmet anyway so once it's on I hardly notice it unless it's a very hot day.

Is the risk of a head injury lower on those days when you decide it's nice to go without? (A variant of the forum favourite "why do you take your helmet off when you're not on your bike")
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 24 Apr 2015, 5:42pm

The bottom line... Cycling is not dangerous..RoSPA says so.. Mr Boardman says so , and after 50 years on 2 and 3 wheels I agree.
Why do people want to pretend it is.
No harm to you but maybe some people have never put themselves at real risk of injury, Munchausen of a different type maybe, and seek attention for their " high risk pursuit" . Or not . However lets just stay friendly and respect others approach to risk.
The Road Goes On Forever