How long should the pressure to conform be resisted?

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
Tonyf33

Re: How long should the pressure to conform be resisted?

Postby Tonyf33 » 21 Sep 2015, 1:47pm

Typical passive/agressive response from someone 100% duped into the hype towards those not wearing a helmet.
Imagine the furore if you'd go up to others :twisted: and say the same thing only flip that around

pwa

Postby pwa » 26 Sep 2015, 12:22pm

Tonyf33 wrote:Typical passive/agressive response from someone 100% duped into the hype towards those not wearing a helmet.
Imagine the furore if you'd go up to others :twisted: and say the same thing only flip that around

No, if you think that was my motivation then you are mistaken. My initial thought was triggered by the helmet discussion on this forum, but it was not specific to the helmet issue. The thought was, what effect it would have on someone if they were continually fighting a battle for what they saw as their rights, but with their adversaries not yielding. It seemed to me that it could cause stress and detract from a person's quality of life. That was the idea behind the OP. Nothing else. Maybe I could have explained that better.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 26 Sep 2015, 12:43pm

I was replying to the poster above with regard to their encounter with a cycling club and the persons need to immediately go into the helmet wearing spin.

pwa

Postby pwa » 26 Sep 2015, 12:52pm

Tonyf33 wrote:I was replying to the poster above with regard to their encounter with a cycling club and the persons need to immediately go into the helmet wearing spin.

Ah, I see. Yes, that is, I suppose, the sort of low level continuous pressure to conform that I had in mind with the OP. The feeling that people think you are a bad parent because your kids have no lid, or that you are setting a bad example.

AgitatorofPeople

Postby AgitatorofPeople » 21 Oct 2015, 10:24am

I have three kids aged 5, 8 & 10 and they ride with and without helmets depending on what they are doing, for instance when they are out up at our local park, they don't wear them, I do get them to wear gloves to protect their hands as they have had a few offs resulting in gravel rash and cuts, and watching them ride I have noticed they look around alot more without helmets on, compared to when they do wear a helmet.

Just to bring another bunch of helmet wearers into the fray, Military Special Forces, they often wear baseball caps, bandanas or woolly hats, because they don't want their field of view or hearing obstructed and want the speed, lightness and freedom of movement to keep them out of harm in the first place, all attributes that are essential while cycling, they take the view that they are much more likely to take a hit while wearing armour which only has a certain protection value.
Ah but I hear you say "But they do wear helmets". Watch "Blackhawk Down" the Delta force that go in to rescue the pilots in the movie are wearing "Skateboard helmets" they needed speed and light with head protection for entering/exiting helicopters and abseiling, they ditched the standard issue helmet as it was too heavy, and eventually spawned more operation specific lightweight helmet designs that carry night vision gear etc and yet they still go back to wearing cloth headgear if the mission deems it, even though bombs and bullets may be involved.

I think I will be ok riding out doing my daily business with a cap on, if a bus takes me out, I seriously doubt the 240g of polystyrene will prevent that.

By the way, the special forces dude in the photo, lose the rifle and bat belt and he would look like a real hippy cyclist!

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Oct 2015, 10:27am

Keep the rifle. It'll make bad motorists think twice. :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

beardy

Postby beardy » 21 Oct 2015, 10:29am

Are we going to fight Taliban in Afghanistan or are we just going out for a bike ride in an incredibly peace torn British town or on sleepy rural lanes?

horizon

Postby horizon » 21 Oct 2015, 11:23am

beardy wrote:Are we going to fight Taliban in Afghanistan or are we just going out for a bike ride in an incredibly peace torn British town or on sleepy rural lanes?

Sometimes it feels like we're out fighting the Taliban.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher