s sociological approach to PPE

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
pjclinch

s sociological approach to PPE

Postby pjclinch » 11 May 2015, 11:44am

http://rachelaldred.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Perceptions-of-Safety-Stuff-website.pdf steps aside from the traditional medical evidence/lack thereof flame wars and looks at hi-viz and helmets from a different perspective.

Not my field and I've not had time to look in any detail, but it looks interesting on a first pass scan.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Tonyf33

Re: s sociological approach to PPE

Postby Tonyf33 » 12 May 2015, 4:20am

Did you read this thread?
I made two comments regarding people's perceptions and how those that are seemingly swayed beyond doubt turn on those that just want freedom of choice.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=94345&p=871830#p871830

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 12 May 2015, 9:27am

Yes, I saw that thread (contributed too). So it strikes me as useful someone has turned in a paper saying that sort of thing looks quite likely to be an Own Goal.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 May 2015, 10:12am

I'm married to a sociologist and that link is classic sociologist. After a while of academia in sociology they end up talking like that...like a sociologist. I am not poking fun or having a go but there is a specific language of sociology and it tends to creep into their normal life. Put simply don't debate with a sociologist, trust me if you ever end up in a debate with one you will know what I mean.

It was an interesting article so thanks for posting it Peter. I will have to read it properly when I get the chance. Might pass it on to my other half for comments when she is less busy. Might be interesting for a sociologist's view of that.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 15 May 2015, 3:04am

I've always being interested in social psychology, having worked in a service based industry part of my college studies were invaluable with regard to such. Hans Eysenck was essential reading amongst others and as a 17/18 year old catering student it was incredibly fascinating and made me want to know more about human behaviour in all aspects of life.