Wiggo wants compulsory helmets

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
landsurfer

Re: Wiggo wants compulsory helmets

Postby landsurfer » 18 May 2015, 8:43pm

Mick F ... totally right from every view ..... respect .
The Road Goes On Forever

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 May 2015, 8:02am

Bonefishblues wrote:Boardman's a former athlete, and therefore by definition not a cyclist, so should also be ignored, surely? :wink:
Who say's he's not a cyclist?
Not me.
Who says that Wiggo isn't a cyclist?
Not me either.
I said that Wiggo is PRIMARILY an athlete and not REALLY a cyclist. I never mentioned Boardman.
landsurfer wrote:Mick F ... totally right from every view ..... respect .
Thanks. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 May 2015, 8:09am

Many many years ago - maybe I was in my teens - there was a one-off quiz programme on BBC where "motoring experts" were on the panel. The questions were all about driving and Highway Code etc. Stirling Moss was on the panel, but I can't remember the others.

Stirling Moss was rubbish! He came very much last, and even I did better than him. :lol:
It was almost embarrassing.

Just coz he was a superb racing driver, it had no bearing on his driving or knowledge of the real world.
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 May 2015, 8:18am

And I wouldn't worry too much about the non-cycling section of the general public giving Wiggo's words too much weight. He is seen as an amusing and likeable person who is a bit random with his utterances, not as a representative of cyclists.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 19 May 2015, 12:15pm

Mick F wrote:I said that Wiggo is PRIMARILY an athlete and not REALLY a cyclist.

So who is? By the same arguments I was primarily a commuter coming to work (I might walk), primarily a shopper popping out to the bakery and bank (I might walk or take the car), and will be primarily a tourist when I next go touring (might go on foot, by ski or canoe/kayak). And so on.

In NL a fietser is (AFAICT) someone who happens to be riding a bike at the time, rather than a general class of people. Much the same as "motorist" for the most part in the UK.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 May 2015, 1:20pm

In the eye of the public ...............

Wiggo is a sportsman, an athlete, a celebrity. He rides a bike to do this. He has a support team helping him. He earns a living by being a sportsman, an athlete, and a celebrity.

You and me are completely different to him.
Mick F. Cornwall

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 19 May 2015, 2:44pm

He rides a bike more than me, I reckon he's as much (if not more) a cyclist as I am. Different motivations for riding but that's about it.

OTOH the sorts of riding he does hardly makes him qualified to determine how much I'd benefit from having a helmet on my ed.

pwa

Postby pwa » 19 May 2015, 3:05pm

I don't expect Wiggins has any special insight into the helmet debate. But he is certainly a cyclist. He rides on British roads on his own (some of the time), he sits on a saddle, presses down on the pedals, gets rained on, listens to lorries approaching from behind, wonders about the intentions of cars up ahead, and says hello to cyclists going the other way. Of course he is a cyclist.

Si

Postby Si » 19 May 2015, 3:06pm

I don't think that the average member of the public will see the fine distinctions between different kinds of bike riders. Rather, to most Wiggo has a medal or two and therefore is an expert cyclist and better qualified to talk about it than the rest of us. And it's what the public believes that counts.

maxcherry

Postby maxcherry » 19 May 2015, 3:31pm

Odd that no one brought up 'The train incident' when he was banging on about helmets. Does this mean that as long as we have a helmet, folks can cross train tracks regardless of the warnings and barriers.

Am I the only one that never knew a helmet can protect my head from 'High Speed Trains'!
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 19 May 2015, 3:46pm

maxcherry wrote:Am I the only one that never knew a helmet can protect my head from 'High Speed Trains'!

High speed trains, trucks, toilet accidents and repeatedly banging your head on a branch whilst dogging.

They need to be glued on at birth, you know it makes sense.

maxcherry

Postby maxcherry » 19 May 2015, 4:30pm

kwackers wrote:
maxcherry wrote:Am I the only one that never knew a helmet can protect my head from 'High Speed Trains'!

High speed trains, trucks, toilet accidents and repeatedly banging your head on a branch whilst dogging.

They need to be glued on at birth, you know it makes sense.

Laughed so hard, cake came out of my nose :lol: It really stings :lol:
Maybe I should have worn a helmet :roll:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!

Steady rider

Postby Steady rider » 19 May 2015, 5:13pm

I would certainly credit Wiggo as being a fine cyclist and exceptional athlete and wish him well. He is not a helmet researcher but has road experience, so his views are probably not very different to many people. Helmet laws are a mistake for various reasons.

In 1988 it was reported; "increased helmet use is associated with an increased fatality rate".
Ref. G. B. Rodgers, 'Reducing bicycle accidents: a re-evaluation of the impacts of the CPSC bicycle standard and helmet use', Journal of Product Liability, Vol 11, 1988, pp307-317.

In 1998 the ECF ( European Cycling Federation ) stated "the evidence from Australia and New Zealand suggests that the wearing of helmets might even make cycling more dangerous", indicating safety was actually reduced.
Ref. European Cycling Federation; Improving bicycle safety without making helmet use compulsory; Brussels, Belgium. 1998, p 11, http://www.ecf.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ure_13.pdf

In 2012 for New Zealand it was reported;
‘This evaluation finds the helmet law has failed in aspects of promoting cycling, safety, health, accident compensation, environmental issues and civil liberties.’
Ref. Clarke, CF, Evaluation of New Zealand’s bicycle law, NZMJ 10 February 2012, Vol 125 No 1349 http://www.cycle-helmets.com/nz-clarke-2012.pdf

For Canada a BMJ editorial in 2013 by Goldacre and Spiegelhalter reported, “Canadian legislation had minimal effect on serious head injuries”.
Ref. Bicycle helmets and the law, http://www.cycle-helmets.com/bmj-june-2013.pdf

For Australia it was reported;
“The helmet laws have not delivered a net societal health benefit, with a calculated cost benefit ratio of 109 to 1 against.”
Ref. Evaluation of Australia's bicycle helmet laws, The Sports Science Summit, O2 venue London UK http://www.cycle-helmets.com/au-assessment-2015.pdf Presented 14 January 2015.

Good luck Bradley with the hour record but not with promoting a helmet law.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 19 May 2015, 7:11pm

And lets just repeat ROSPA's statement again... Statistically, the group at greatest risk of head injuries is pedestrians.
On holiday in Cuba in December it was noticeable that the German and Canadian hill walkers all wore cycle helmets ..!
Wiggo cycles in a bubble compared to the rest of us. His opinions are formed in that bubble. But he's a top chap .... so lets go gently with him..
The Road Goes On Forever

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 20 May 2015, 9:03am

Mick F wrote:In the eye of the public ...............

Wiggo is a sportsman, an athlete, a celebrity. He rides a bike to do this. He has a support team helping him. He earns a living by being a sportsman, an athlete, and a celebrity.

You and me are completely different to him.

Digression from the Actual Point Alert! Digression from the Actual Point Alert!

I'm not suggesting he's the same as you and I, I'm wondering why he is not "primarily a cyclist" and you or I would be, as opposed to "primarily commuters" or "primarily tourists", or "primarily shoppers".

I'm also wondering if "in the eye of the public" Mo is "not primarily a runner", Tom Daley not "primarily a diver" or Messi is "not primarily a footballer".

In other words, sounds like more of a personal bee/bonnet interface than a general perception.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...