What would you do.....

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
MickTheCyclist

Re: What would you do.....

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Steady rider wrote:
Exclusion from this event due to my desire to ride without helmet is effectively discrimation under current NI legislation.

How would a case proceed and costs and would you have support from the CTC to bring a case?

The issue can be referred to the Equality Commission who might have an interest in pursuing it but I suspect not.
No I would only use the possibility to see if I could change the organisers position.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

thirdcrank wrote:
MickTheCyclist wrote: ... Following the Highway Code is often given as a reason why you should wear one. But the HC says you 'should' wear one; it doesn't say 'must'. The 'should' makes it a recommendation not a compulsion. So by exercising your choice not to wear one, you are following the HC perfectly. Helmet compulsion contradicts the HC.

I think that's a misunderstanding of the force of the HC. Read the HC forward for an explanation of how its advice may be used in court proceedings.

I wasn't thinking of court proceedings. Just pointing out the HC wording doesn't mean compulsion.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll put my hand up to misunderstanding much of what you have written, so I'll offer an alternative approach.

Post details of the event and the name of your company and I'll personally mount a campaign to expose them on your behalf. If the event is to be held within reasonable distance of LS27 I'll turn up with a placard denouncing them for what they are. The time for talking is over - it's direct action!