Air(-head)-bags?

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
661-Pete

Air(-head)-bags?

Postby 661-Pete » 15 Jun 2015, 9:10am

Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Thermostat9

Re: Air(-head)-bags?

Postby Thermostat9 » 15 Jun 2015, 9:19am

661-Pete wrote:Thoughts?

I did notice I felt safer with it on, though.

There is a perfect example of risk compensation in action. :roll:

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 15 Jun 2015, 10:53am

As usual, the heffalump in the corner is missed. The biggest cause of traumatic brain injury is trips and falls. Cycling is not especially productive of head injuries, so however cool or wondrous the technology it really doesn't make much sense to go out of your way to protect your head while riding a bike while not bothering for stuff like using the stairs.

There is more of an excuse in sports riding where you're more likely to fall off and where the design objective of mitigating minor injuries is in line with getting back on and finishing the race rather than sitting by the course with a bad headache, but with this thing if it's gone off then it's not really in racing trim any more...

Really a case of a cool engineering solution somewhat lacking an associated problem.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

hufty

Postby hufty » 15 Jun 2015, 11:04am

Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 15 Jun 2015, 11:05am

pjclinch wrote:There is more of an excuse in sports riding where you're more likely to fall off and where the design objective of mitigating minor injuries is in line with getting back on and finishing the race rather than sitting by the course with a bad headache...

Is this a stated design objective and a reason for mandatory helmets in sports riding? ...or are you being generous, helpfully providing a plausible case to fill a gap?

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 15 Jun 2015, 11:12am

bovlomov wrote:
pjclinch wrote:There is more of an excuse in sports riding where you're more likely to fall off and where the design objective of mitigating minor injuries is in line with getting back on and finishing the race rather than sitting by the course with a bad headache...

Is this a stated design objective and a reason for mandatory helmets in sports riding? ...or are you being generous, helpfully providing a plausible case to fill a gap?

I'm extrapolating a little (and really only a little) from Brian Walker's point in the "Heads Up" article that appeared in Cycle that current designs evolved from sports cycling hairnets.

I can't see it's anything much to do with compulsory helmets in sport, which looks more like a case of "Something Must Be Done; This Is Something; This Is What We'll Do" fuelled by increasing litigation concerns as blame culture increasingly takes hold.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » 15 Jun 2015, 12:31pm

It is a step forward in technology, maybe there will be a time when it is small/light enough to always wear (even when pottering around the house, walking etc). In terms of protection given, well it covers more than a normal helmet does.

At present I'd say it is proof of concept but fair from practical

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 15 Jun 2015, 3:16pm

Just checked the two hodvig videos and in neither did the head or bag hit the ground...

Typical...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » 15 Jun 2015, 7:29pm

I suppose you know you are planning the fall so instinct takes over and you protect your head. Funnily you do the same when it is an unplanned fall ;-)