Cycle-Smart

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
beardy

Cycle-Smart

Postby beardy » 24 Jun 2015, 11:37pm

Did anybody notice that last year Angela Lee re-branded BHIT as Cycle-Smart and expanded its promotion to include Hi-Viz, training and maintenance as well as particularly helmets.

So it appears that she did hear some of what was said to her despite appearances to the contrary.

and in her world even the Dutch support cycle helmets.

https://www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/ ... elmets.pdf

bovlomov

Re: Cycle-Smart

Postby bovlomov » 24 Jun 2015, 11:51pm

I gave up at this point.
Annually, 190 people die in the Netherlands and more than 9,200 sustain serious injury in a bicycle crash. A third of these seriously injured bicycle casualties are diagnosed with head or brain injuries (32%) (LMR 2005-2009; see also Table 1). Head injury is the general category and generally implies brain injury, but sometimes there is head injury without brain injury.

Yes indeed! So why conflate the two things? And does head injury generally imply brain injury? Broken jaw, missing teeth, broken nose, black eye, scrapes, bumps...

Willfully confusing.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 25 Jun 2015, 11:12am

beardy wrote:Did anybody notice that last year Angela Lee re-branded BHIT as Cycle-Smart and expanded its promotion to include Hi-Viz, training and maintenance as well as particularly helmets.

So it appears that she did hear some of what was said to her despite appearances to the contrary.

and in her world even the Dutch support cycle helmets.

https://www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/ ... elmets.pdf

SWOV are actually Dutch and that report was actually issued in NL, so some of them do. Just not 99+% of the people actually riding bikes, or the government, or the cyclists' orgnaisations...

Meanwhile, the clog-wearing elephant remains in the corner of the windmill, that even though excrement occurs for cyclists it doesn't happen particularly more than to, for example, pedestrians.

Pete.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

broadway

Postby broadway » 25 Jun 2015, 2:21pm

From FAQs

It's nice to know that:

What safety standard should I look for on a helmet? Are some standards better than others?

Helmets sold in the UK must have the CE BSEN1078 standard. All the safety standards are rigorous.

After that it all goes a bit Pete Tong

eg

"My child refuses to wear a cycle helmet but I want him/her to continue cycling because it's good for their health. What should I do?

There is no evidence either way to support this theory."

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 25 Jun 2015, 2:27pm

broadway wrote:"My child refuses to wear a cycle helmet but I want him/her to continue cycling because it's good for their health. What should I do?
There is no evidence either way to support this theory."

No evidence for the 'theory' that cycling is good for their health? We're into Darwin's 'theory' of evolution territory here (it's only a THEORY, you know!) Is there any evidence for the 'theory' that inactivity is bad for health?

mjr

Postby mjr » 25 Jun 2015, 4:26pm

broadway wrote:From FAQs

It's nice to know that:

What safety standard should I look for on a helmet? Are some standards better than others?

Helmets sold in the UK must have the CE BSEN1078 standard. All the safety standards are rigorous.

After that it all goes a bit Pete Tong

After that? Snell is clearly better than EN and you can't rely on what's on the helmet anyway:

As for SWOV... well, it'd be a shock if the equivalent of RoSPA came out against helmets. They care about "Road Safety" not the long-term health of road users. http://www.fietsersbond.net/vogelvrijef ... l/helm.pdf claims 60% of Dutch people would ride less if they had to wear helmets.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.