Helmets to be banned?

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
MartinC
Posts: 1839
Joined: 10 May 2007, 6:31pm
Location: Bredon

Helmets to be banned?

Postby MartinC » 1 Jul 2015, 12:50pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33334994

Here's a cat for the pigeons.....................

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48190
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby Mick F » 1 Jul 2015, 1:06pm

Starting today, single-use EPS products including cups, bowls, plates, takeout containers and trays and packing peanuts are not allowed to be possessed, sold, or offered in New York City.
Single use.

I use my helmet more than once.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4202
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby bovlomov » 1 Jul 2015, 1:09pm

I never thought of myself as ahead of my time, but this is what I wrote in September 2013:
...parliament might think about legislation to regulate the way they [helmets] are sold and disposed of, like they did for fluorescent tubes.

If legislators must weigh the pros and cons of helmets, they need to take into account the environmental impacts of their manufacture and disposal. While not wearing a helmet has (at worst) a detrimental effect only on the non-wearer, the helmet wearers' choice effects all of us, including plants and wildlife.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17178
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 1 Jul 2015, 2:26pm

Mick F wrote:
Starting today, single-use EPS products including cups, bowls, plates, takeout containers and trays and packing peanuts are not allowed to be possessed, sold, or offered in New York City.
Single use.

I use my helmet more than once.

No, you wear it more than once. You hope never to use it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

pwa
Posts: 11638
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby pwa » 1 Jul 2015, 2:31pm

I'd be happy to have my cycle helmet made of something that is recyclable, but until that happens I will continue with what is available. It's not just helmets of course. Carbon fibre is non-recyclable. A titanium frame requires about eight times the energy input of a steel frame. The list goes on and on.

The OP gets it wrong, of course, because helmets are not single use and would therefore not be banned. But looking for ways to make things out of better stuff is a good thing.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48190
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby Mick F » 1 Jul 2015, 2:35pm

+1.

Yes, I wear my helmet, not "use" it. :lol:

Didn't someone design a cardboard helmet?
Also, can't straw be used?
Mick F. Cornwall

MartinC
Posts: 1839
Joined: 10 May 2007, 6:31pm
Location: Bredon

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby MartinC » 1 Jul 2015, 3:58pm

pwa wrote:....................The OP gets it wrong, of course, because helmets are not single use and would therefore not be banned. But looking for ways to make things out of better stuff is a good thing.


:D Well, there was a question mark in the title. As others have pointed out they are single use, multi use or no use depending on your point of view!

MartinC
Posts: 1839
Joined: 10 May 2007, 6:31pm
Location: Bredon

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby MartinC » 1 Jul 2015, 3:59pm

Mick F wrote:........Also, can't straw be used?


.............for a straw man!

Mike Sales
Posts: 4418
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby Mike Sales » 1 Jul 2015, 6:10pm

My heart leapt up when I beheld this headline. Just joking.

maxcherry
Posts: 664
Joined: 22 Mar 2011, 5:53pm

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby maxcherry » 1 Jul 2015, 6:35pm

Mick F wrote:+1.

Yes, I wear my helmet, not "use" it. :lol:

Didn't someone design a cardboard helmet?
Also, can't straw be used?



How can cycling with a 'Haystack' on your head be safe?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48190
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby Mick F » 1 Jul 2015, 6:44pm

There was a thingy on Radio4 a few weeks ago about using straw as a packing system rather than polystyrene. It was actually better too, plus it's biodegradable etc.

I just wondered that if they can make packaging from compressed straw, they could do similarly with bike helmets.

Just an idea.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10140
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Jul 2015, 9:31pm

Mick F wrote:
Starting today, single-use EPS products including cups, bowls, plates, takeout containers and trays and packing peanuts are not allowed to be possessed, sold, or offered in New York City.
Single use.

I use my helmet more than once.


Argumentatively....

The helmet is designed to act in case of impact.... after which it should be replaced

If there is no impact, then the helmet is not being used for it's prime purpose.... it is simply an ornament

Helmets are therefore by definition single use

AlanJ
Posts: 57
Joined: 1 Aug 2013, 6:44pm

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby AlanJ » 2 Jul 2015, 2:34am

maxcherry wrote:
Mick F wrote:+1.

Yes, I wear my helmet, not "use" it. :lol:

Didn't someone design a cardboard helmet?
Also, can't straw be used?



How can cycling with a 'Haystack' on your head be safe?

Well I fell off my bike and had a plane land on me, I'd be dead if it wasn't for the haystack I was wearing!

True story..... Honest ;-)

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4202
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby bovlomov » 2 Jul 2015, 7:15am

Image

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48190
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets to be banned?

Postby Mick F » 2 Jul 2015, 8:58am

He needs a hair cut.
Mick F. Cornwall