Helmet Wearing Rates Glasgow & New Brunswick

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
irc

Helmet Wearing Rates Glasgow & New Brunswick

Postby irc » 13 Aug 2015, 12:24pm

I met a friend from New Brunswick a a canalside pub last night. While we were drinking outside dozens of cyclists passed by. At least 90% were helmeted despite riding at low speed on a traffic free bike/ped shared use towpath. My friend remarked that from what he had seen during a few weeks in Glasgow the helmet wearing rate was higher here than in his home area despite their helmet law.

He says nobody takes it too seriously as the fine is $21 and in any case few people are stopped. In addition to the provincial law covering road use his town has a local bylaw covering helmet use on parks and trails which Now and then some sort of wardens try to ticket people for. They have no powers to stop cyclists and they can be easily ignored.

horizon

Re: Helmet Wearing Rates Glasgow & New Brunswick

Postby horizon » 13 Aug 2015, 4:10pm

I've been out and about recently and found it to be exactly the same. An unhelmeted rider is a rarity.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 13 Aug 2015, 9:19pm

I've never kept records to be sure, but over in Dundee I'd say the helmet wearing proportion is falling, and it's now quite unremarkable to see either a helmet or its absence on a cyclist. When I'm down in Embra or over in the Big Weege more folk seem to wear by percentage. They're both rather less benign than Dundee to ride in, with far higher traffic densities.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 13 Aug 2015, 11:43pm

pjclinch wrote:I've never kept records to be sure, but over in Dundee I'd say the helmet wearing proportion is falling, and it's now quite unremarkable to see either a helmet or its absence on a cyclist. When I'm down in Embra or over in the Big Weege more folk seem to wear by percentage. They're both rather less benign than Dundee to ride in, with far higher traffic densities.

Pete.

My sense is the same is happening in London - the proportion of people without helmets is on the increase although the lycra clad commuter mob seem to all wear them as part of the uniform.

Thermostat9

Postby Thermostat9 » 14 Aug 2015, 8:45am

I've recently come back from Japan and cannot remember seeing one person wearing a magic plastic hat in Tokyo. Plenty of cyclists though! :mrgreen:

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 15 Aug 2015, 9:50pm

My home city of Hull has always had a (relatively) large % of utility cycling, aside from the noddies/club cyclist imitating (insert Favourite pro cyclist) in all the replica gear I'd say an easy 90% of the utility cycling in Hull is done helmet free both on road and on cycle tracks.
I'd say that was fairly unique in the UK