Camping mats again…

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
nirakaro

Camping mats again…

Post by nirakaro »

I want to get a 'basecamp style' camping mat. I shan't be carrying it on my bike, so weight's not an issue, and I'm looking for comfort (10cm thick), warmth, and durability. I'm looking at the Vango Comfort 10, and wondering what else there is on the market to compare it with. Any recommendations?
pjclinch

Re: Camping mats again…

Post by pjclinch »

nirakaro wrote:I want to get a 'basecamp style' camping mat. I shan't be carrying it on my bike, so weight's not an issue, and I'm looking for comfort (10cm thick), warmth, and durability. I'm looking at the Vango Comfort 10, and wondering what else there is on the market to compare it with. Any recommendations?

It depends how much insulation you're after. If it's for summer only and there's no issue having a pump handy then a cheap airbed will do the job fine and probably be more comfortable than most self inflaters. Argos do some good ones.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the Mondo King by Thermarest is a good one, probably the best for a base camp as you can realistically adjust the amount of give by letting a bit of air out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018APB3TI/ref=asc_df_B018APB3TI58057052/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B018APB3TI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205337182740&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8585670503752980437&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045889&hvtargid=pla-304268643062

I have the earlier non 3-d version that dont have vertical walls ( that I prefer )

I have had one now for a couple of years and stop-overs also use it and say how comfortable it is.
it aint cheap but then none of Thermarest are, but you get fine durable quality you can rely on
whoof

Post by whoof »

If you're not carrying it with you could get one of these. I have got one and it's more comfortable than my bed at home. It you are worried about insulation put a Karrimat under it.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-fl ... ed-p323310

If you want a backpacking style one then you probably won't do better than the Mondo King as recommended above but these can be well north of £100.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

whoof wrote:If you're not carrying it with you could get one of these. I have got one and it's more comfortable than my bed at home. It you are worried about insulation put a Karrimat under it.

I think you'd be better putting the Karrimat between yourself and the airbed. Airbeds are rubbish as insulation because there's enough space for the air to move around easily, carrying away heat in convection currents, and this would still happen with the K-Mat underneath the airbed.

This is pretty much the same as the Argos ones I had in mind, but thanks to the Sale offer is a better deal. My folks have these for spare beds since they donwsized houses, and they are really very good.

Pete.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

whoof wrote:If you're not carrying it with you could get one of these. I have got one and it's more comfortable than my bed at home. It you are worried about insulation put a Karrimat under it.

If you want a backpacking style one then you probably won't do better than the Mondo King as recommended above but these can be well north of £100.

I wouldnt trust one of cheapies I bougth some thing similar from Blacks and they started to leak after a few times. swapped it a few times. I think the material they are made of is too hard so creases eventualy leak. You get what you pay for. There is a good reason why reduced from £30 to £10...Also airbeds only work if they are pumped up fully in which case can give you a back ache, less than fully and you can just sink inthem and movement can be hard so you cannt move in your sleep.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:Also airbeds only work if they are pumped up fully in which case can give you a back ache, less than fully and you can just sink inthem and movement can be hard so you cannt move in your sleep.

I've always found the degree to which they need to be pumped up not significantly different to a self-inflating camping mat, and of course the likes of Downmats and Neo-airs are even closer to airbeds. The main difference between a camping mat and an airbed in this respect is if you under-inflate the former you're on the ground, particularly if you sleep on your side.

The "getting what you pay for" is extra insulation structure for the most part, which is a moot point in summer. Avoid creases by rolling them up, just like you would a camping mat.

Pete.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:
mercalia wrote:Also airbeds only work if they are pumped up fully in which case can give you a back ache, less than fully and you can just sink inthem and movement can be hard so you cannt move in your sleep.

I've always found the degree to which they need to be pumped up not significantly different to a self-inflating camping mat, and of course the likes of Downmats and Neo-airs are even closer to airbeds. The main difference between a camping mat and an airbed in this respect is if you under-inflate the former you're on the ground, particularly if you sleep on your side.

The "getting what you pay for" is extra insulation structure for the most part, which is a moot point in summer. Avoid creases by rolling them up, just like you would a camping mat.

Pete.

I think there is more to than that. ie the mateial they use is very important for longevity. As I said above I have people who stop over. When I used cheap £10 or so air beds they didnt last very long but leaked within a few weeks. The only one that has stayed the course is the Thermarest Mondo King. such a thick self inflating mat has very flexible material, is quite differnt to an air bed. Not sure if you have ever tried such a thick self inflater. Thinner ones dont compare.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:I think there is more to than that. ie the mateial they use is very important for longevity. As I said above I have people who stop over. When I used cheap £10 or so air beds they didnt last very long but leaked within a few weeks. The only one that has stayed the course is the Thermarest Mondo King. such a thick self inflating mat has very flexible material, is quite differnt to an air bed. Not sure if you have ever tried such a thick self inflater. Thinner ones dont compare.

I haven't, but then again my family have often used the airbeds my folks keep for people who stop over and there haven't been any of these issues. They've been going for rather longer than a few weeks. I don't know how much they were, mind, but am pretty sure less than the top of the line (or even bottom-of-the line) Thermarest.

Pete.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

*I am sure the air beds meant for stop- overs are ok but not those air beds sold for camping that only cost £10 or so.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m also not a huge fan of airbeds and second the use a camping mat for insulation approach. I’ve also tried camping cots when camping in Yellowstone with American friends and they could also do with camping mat insulation . Yellowstone is very high so a chilly place in any case, what with being cold and worrying about bears I didn’t get any sleep at all! However, I would consider camping cots again.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I've used cheapies. They tend to sag under the torso putting your feet higher. Better ones don't. Construction?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Was in decathlon over the weekend. For folks who feel that their airbed or other mat might lack insulation in colder temps, a solid mat they do might be handy - thinner than the average solid foam mat. Silver finish. Very light. No probs to put on a rack. Cost maybe £4.

Edit, here, 210g.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m100-foam-c ... gIuHPD_BwE
Sweep
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I'm not going to join the debate, but if you want the best and weight isn't an issue - get the Exped Megamat 10, there are still some good discounts to be had!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

phil parker wrote:I'm not going to join the debate, but if you want the best and weight isn't an issue - get the Exped Megamat 10, there are still some good discounts to be had!

looks similar to the Mondo King.