Views on/experience of this tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Re: Views on/experience of this tent

Post by foxyrider »

On the subject of sitting height/head room, how much do people consider enough? My Vaude's have 95cm (Taurus) and 90cm (Power Lizard) respectively which I find quite ample for my 178cm (5'10") height.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
foxyrider wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:11pm On the subject of sitting height/head room, how much do people consider enough? My Vaude's have 95cm (Taurus) and 90cm (Power Lizard) respectively which I find quite ample for my 178cm (5'10") height.
This is the crux of a useable tent, being able to sit up and get dressed when its raining.
I am similar height to you 5' 11 & 1/4" :) But long torso.
My Eureka Spitfire and the Pro Action Tiger Paws, have about 1 M IIRC.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:11pm On the subject of sitting height/head room, how much do people consider enough? My Vaude's have 95cm (Taurus) and 90cm (Power Lizard) respectively which I find quite ample for my 178cm (5'10") height.
However much that with what you're sitting on and the way you like to sit doesn't involve uncomfortable contact with the roof ("uncomfortable contact" is subjective, might mean "no contact at all", but not necessarily).

And there's more to headroom than raw height, as anyone who's tried to occupy the centre of a one-pole pyramid tent will know! Comfort might include more than one space to be able to sit up, and of course if you're two or more up this becomes significant.

This is why, while paper specs are useful, a personal crawl/sit/lie is the Gold Standard for appraising comfortable space.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

foxyrider wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:59pm can't get this forum on my phone! Was unaware you could zoom images on here
I tried Tapatalk on the phone for a while, but with a more mobile-aware back-end these days I just use the web browser if I'm on my phone and access through that and it avoids all the other nonsense Tapatalk wanted to give me. Works very well these days, and zoom by the usual finger spread.

On a desktop browser, just use the general zoom-the-whole-page feature.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pjclinch wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 8:39am
foxyrider wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:59pm can't get this forum on my phone! Was unaware you could zoom images on here
I tried Tapatalk on the phone for a while, but with a more mobile-aware back-end these days I just use the web browser if I'm on my phone and access through that and it avoids all the other nonsense Tapatalk wanted to give me. Works very well these days, and zoom by the usual finger spread.

On a desktop browser, just use the general zoom-the-whole-page feature.
(A bit off topic) also I have the impression that Tapatalk is another of those "market intelligence" companies where you become their product and a source of information they turn into revenue - the more they can record about you the more profit they can make ...

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I generally carry a two person tent when solo touring, mostly for the space. I can sit up in the highest point of my Helsport. But I still end up doing most stuff either lying or reclining when in the tent.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vorpal wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 4:04pm I generally carry a two person tent when solo touring, mostly for the space. I can sit up in the highest point of my Helsport. But I still end up doing most stuff either lying or reclining when in the tent.
To be honest, whilst i have room to sit upright, i too usually do stuff reclined / lying inside the tent as i find it more comfortable and less faff to move about. I'm a little claustrophobic so my tents are always 2 man which gives me acres of space :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am happy to use a solo tent that you can sit up in, as long as all my gear which is light weight summer stuff can be stored inside.
The Eureka Spitfire covers this and the tiger paws is bigger still with full flysheet to the ground.
I rely on a small foot print as I can't pick and choose my site till I get there.
I only sleep in tent normally so no sitting unless the weather is bad be fore I am off again.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

Paulatic wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:07pm Can you sit up in it? I can’t find dimensions.
Maybe the webpage https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TEVA1P/za ... cking-tent has been updated? :roll: as this now appears there:
tent dim.png
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

That wasn't there before.

So not only is it the same overall design as an Akto, it's pretty much the same size too.
Seems quite decent value to me (Akto user)

Compared with other single person tents, the sleeping area, whilst not cramped, definitely won't allow another person, and the porch area is relatively generous, so you can get 4 panniers in and still leave the door unobstructed or have somewhere to cook.

"Tested to force 8" is about 40 mph, which is as much as most people would want to camp in, though there's a difference between putting a tent up in 40 mph, and an already up tent not blowing down in 40 mph.
The Akto will reputedly do 80 mph (there are some nutters who like to go out and test how strong their tents are).
eg https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2r4dys
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Currently on offer in a bundle deal with stove, mat, and various bits and pieces for £179.99 https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNDINNERS ... ars-bundle
Could be a good deal for someone just starting out.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

andrew_s wrote: 6 May 2021, 1:01am That wasn't there before.

So not only is it the same overall design as an Akto, it's pretty much the same size too.
Seems quite decent value to me (Akto user)

Compared with other single person tents, the sleeping area, whilst not cramped, definitely won't allow another person, and the porch area is relatively generous, so you can get 4 panniers in and still leave the door unobstructed or have somewhere to cook.

"Tested to force 8" is about 40 mph, which is as much as most people would want to camp in, though there's a difference between putting a tent up in 40 mph, and an already up tent not blowing down in 40 mph.
The Akto will reputedly do 80 mph (there are some nutters who like to go out and test how strong their tents are).
eg https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2r4dys
I used to cycle camp using a Brompton. I used to go a fair distance (30-40 miles) loaded front and rear. I always used a Hilleberg Akto because of the ability to put the Brompton inside (left of the porch when viewed from the front) and be able to store bags etc plus cooking in the porch early morning.
So if the tent being discussed is almost the same size, then I can heartily recommend. The only one thing I could not deal with (eventually) was space or rather lack of in the sleeping area. Getting dressed or undressed whilst laying on a sleeping mat was difficult (I do have a bad back)....
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

pedalsheep wrote: 8 May 2021, 9:28am Could be a good deal for someone just starting out.
Or perhaps, for someone just re-starting out :wink: