Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jezrant

Nikwax Tent and Gear SolarProof®

Post by Jezrant »

Anyone tried Nikwax on a tent outer?
pjclinch

Re: Nikwax Tent and Gear SolarProof®

Post by pjclinch »

The SolarProof "adds Durable Water Repellency" which isn't quite the same as waterproofing, it will encourage water to bead up and roll off rather than soak in, and while that's generally a Good Thing it's not the same as a formal waterproof coat. So on the waterproofing front, add this sort of thing if your fly isn't leaking but is pretty heavy after even a shower. If it's leaking, unless it's cotton canvas, usually time for a new one.

For UV protection , again the case that it's a Good Thing, but note silicone coated outers already filter a fair bit of UV in any case, and polyseter is much more stable under UV than nylon so doesn't need it much. In summary, for PU coated nylon flys, quite possibly a good thing.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
cjs

Post by cjs »

After hand washing with 'Tech Wash' I treated the Waterproofs with 'DX.Direct' then used the same solutions on the tent outer.

It certainly did the business in the Hebrides with 14 days of rain :) and a couple of weeks in Benelux - perfect 'beading' properties at the end still...

Of course, ''Tent & Gear SolarProof' would probably have been better ...
Kind Regards
Chris...
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

thanks, that's the sort of first-hand info I was looking for. I'll give it a try myself then. cheers :)