Do you actually like camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
landsurfer

Re: Do you actually like camping?

Post by landsurfer »

pete75 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I travel extensively throughout the UK on business, I have cards for Premier Inn and Travelodge, i can book in at no notice without having to pay ... my company does ...

But if it's your company paying aren't you, as the owner, paying for it yourself?

Ahhh the reality of business ..... of course i am ...... but not the full amount .... personal tax and VAT and corporation tax take their toll ...... but i take a reasonable salary, 4x the lowest paid member of staff ... not 100 times .... and pay tax on dividends and salary ... and my pension @ 40% ... my business is my final salary ....... what i sell it for is the funding for me and my wife ..+.. son and daughter + 5 grandkids .....etc etc ... l
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:interesting point bryn.

Had many a happy holiday in a static caravan as a kid.

What do you do with the bike?

One could chain the bike to the gas bottles behind the van, or ask the site manager, there are probably sheds or stores where it could be left securely.

I think secure would be a good idea. I've known cases of bikes fastened to the back of campervans on campsites removed during the night. I think thieves target some of those sites - maybe sussing that folks are on holiday/feeling relaxed/think they are outside the big bad city and leaving stuff around at night.
Sweep
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Do you actually like camping ? Love it ! :D :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hate it but I hate spending losts of dosh more :lol:
g.meredith

Post by g.meredith »

On some days I would not want to do be doing anything else. On others I just want to sling all the gear off a cliff. I sometimes find it difficult to cope with the unpredictable events / weather. Not helped by the fact that I like to have everything planned just so. Giving it another go this spring.
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Of course, the enjoyment is heavily dependent on the weather but I love it. Actually, even when the weather is bad, there is something hugely satisfying about being warm and dry in a tent whilst the rain drums on the flysheet.

I often go fishing in Wales and usually camp in preference to using a B&B, especially if it is a for few nights. I don't tend to cook much on these trips - just porridge for breakfast and hot drinks. I usually dine in a pub before retreating to the campsite, sitting outside the tent reading as the sun sets, a glass of win to hand.

Having the right kit is at least half the battle. My wild camping experience was transformed by the Exped downmat. A truly superb mat that enables you to sleep as comfortably in a tent as you do at home, yet is light enough for backpacking. Lightweight kit is getting so good these days that I find myself using the same items for car camping that I backpack with; a heavier alternative is not more comfortable.

I'm in the process of buying a touring bike and really looking forward to cycle camping.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:hate it but I hate spending losts of dosh more :lol:

If you really do hate it, i'd stop.

I discovered after a while that the gf's enthusiasm for camping was based on money saving. Not positive.

Me, I love it.
Sweep
robing

Post by robing »

loch eck steve wrote:Do you actually like camping ? Love it ! :D :D

OP here. I am really looking forward to camping this year! I want to try and get off grid and do some more wild camping. Most of my negative experiences of camping have been due to other people on busy or crowded campsites.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Not been camping for a few years and was wondering if I would still enjoy it. The photo shows the tent 2 weeks ago (bikes not involved) and although cold, it was as much fun as it ever has been. Love camping and can't wait until May when I go to Portugal.

tent.jpg
pwa

Post by pwa »

robing wrote:

OP here. I am really looking forward to camping this year! I want to try and get off grid and do some more wild camping. Most of my negative experiences of camping have been due to other people on busy or crowded campsites.

Aside from problems caused by other people, my main dislikes are soreness from lying on the ground (Thermarest not much help) and condensation making the inside of my tents damp in wet or chilly weather.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

pwa wrote:
robing wrote:

Aside from problems caused by other people, my main dislikes are soreness from lying on the ground (Thermarest not much help) and condensation making the inside of my tents damp in wet or chilly weather.

Hammock?
robing

Post by robing »

I'm going to do some wild camping and staying on small sites in Scotland this year. But I'm going to take my car too. This will make it a lot easier - somewhere to take shelter from bad weather, can drive in the evening to get food, go for a shower etc. Plus storing stuff in the car a bit more secure than leaving in a tent.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

robing wrote:I'm going to do some wild camping and staying on small sites in Scotland this year. But I'm going to take my car too. This will make it a lot easier - somewhere to take shelter from bad weather, can drive in the evening to get food, go for a shower etc. Plus storing stuff in the car a bit more secure than leaving in a tent.

I've done that in Scotland in August. Be aware it gets very cold in the car and you suffer codensation quite badly if not careful. I had a sleeping bag and blaket and still had to get up and run the heater for a while. Would do it again though. It was good fun and convenient for all the points you have mentioned. Though a bowl and a flannel is fine if no shower available. Good for cooking as well and can save a lot money.
robing

Post by robing »

bigjim wrote:
robing wrote:I'm going to do some wild camping and staying on small sites in Scotland this year. But I'm going to take my car too. This will make it a lot easier - somewhere to take shelter from bad weather, can drive in the evening to get food, go for a shower etc. Plus storing stuff in the car a bit more secure than leaving in a tent.

I've done that in Scotland in August. Be aware it gets very cold in the car and you suffer codensation quite badly if not careful. I had a sleeping bag and blaket and still had to get up and run the heater for a while. Would do it again though. It was good fun and convenient for all the points you have mentioned. Though a bowl and a flannel is fine if no shower available. Good for cooking as well and can save a lot money.

I'm still bringing my tent to sleep in ;) but it will be handy having the car and I can put the bike in it overnight. I did this once in snowdonia and stayed at a great little campsite for only a fiver a night. This was in October though so chilly at night so took my duvet too ;)