Do you actually like camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Scottishgaucho

Re: Do you actually like camping?

Post by Scottishgaucho »

bigjim wrote:i was perusing campsites the other night. I am considering doing a bit of car camping so I can carry a bit more of the luxuries that I miss out on when dragging the load around on the bike. I could therefore take a nice light road bike, discover some new rides, maybe even join a local CTC group for a day. I'd have a decent sized tent with, heaven for me, a proper pillow, plus good cooking facilities. I was though, a bit shocked at how much the rental of a piece of grass costs these days. £17 to £20 on a lot of sites! I can understand costs for site owners will have probably shot up and have to be covered, but they do not now compare well with staying at a hostel IMO.

Yes some privately owned camp sites are to be avoided as they charge a fixed price per tent no matter what size it is. I did an about turn after being told they were going to charge me something ridiculous when I was on my end to end run. I did get the impression they were quite glad to see the back of me as after a hard day in the saddle I did look as if I would have lowered the tone of the place. :D
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

bigjim wrote:I was though, a bit shocked at how much the rental of a piece of grass costs these days. £17 to £20 on a lot of sites!

Over the Bank Holiday we went for a ride around East Anglia, staying at two Camping and Caravanning Club sites. As we're not members, each night cost £23! We've only camped on the continent before and in comparison this is by far the most expensive camping. Being a member (£40) only reduced the price by a fiver or so, so not economical unless you stay regularly.

In comparison I could have found a Travelodge for £30/night.
jags

Post by jags »

i like the idea of camping but i find sleeping in a tent next to impossible,
i'm to much of a fidget to relax ,this wild camping lark sounds great even looks great when u see the photos people post, but in reality.. no toilet no showers no feckin nothing except if your lucky a view. god help u if the land owner comes across your ass on his precious land you could be walking bandy for a week. :(

yeah still haven't found the secret of camping one day maybe. :wink:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

jags wrote:yeah still haven't found the secret of camping one day maybe. :wink:

You just need the right tent jags. The Hilleberg Akto is often given glowing reviews, perhaps you should get one?
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Off to a festival next weekend in my sons Hymer camper, will take my Brompton. Luxury! :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jags

Post by jags »

PJ your a gas man :lol: :lol:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Junior has now identified two types of camping- dry camping ( this is what civilised people do involving cars, camper vans, caravans large tents and awnings etc).

Then there is the other type of camping- this is the type that happens when mummy drags you off cycle touring. Apparently this is "wet camping"- I think mildly damp would be a better description or "getting close to the elements" camping.

Anyway the rest of the family have chosen next years camping venue- apparently we (that means me paying) are hiring an RV in Colorado ( at least I can go and buy a new big Agnes tent from the local REI and even camp and sulk by myself!).
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

The answer is "yes". I've done it all my life. For the last few years I've spent a lot of time in hotels because of my job. I'd rather be camping any day and can't remember the last time I used my own money to stay in an hotel (YHAs don't count).

A good sleeping mat, sleeping bag and pair of earplugs (I'm also a musician so have a pair of £150 earplugs which block out virtually all unwanted noise, including the dawn chorus!) are a must for me.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a network of bothies in Scotland (and elsewhere I believe) which offer a "halfway house" :wink: between camping and BB/YH etc, the bothies have a good ethos I think, I have read about them but never used one.

I prefer to stay in one place the whole holiday and explore a small area in detail. For those not tied to school holidays the static caravan parks in North Wales and elsewhere have good low season prices.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

interesting point bryn.

Had many a happy holiday in a static caravan as a kid.

What do you do with the bike?
Sweep
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I travel extensively throughout the UK on business, I have cards for Premier Inn and Travelodge, i can book in at no notice without having to pay ... my company does ...
But..
Between May and October i regularly stop at small campsites.
I have a Vango mountain tent in the pickup truck and.. sleeping bag, inflatable pillow and self inflating mattress in the truck at all times .. and my Trangia hybrid cooking thing ....
Set up camp, cook dinner on the tailgate of the truck, fish? cycle? .. then shower, bed and read ..... love it, absolutely love it .
Heinz chicken soup for breakfast ... as the sun comes up ...... I actually feel as if i am stealing from the company ....lol :) :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:interesting point bryn.

I had it in the car but I did not use it, walked every day, used the train and buses (4 times an hour through Penmaenmawr weekdays!) The car did not move in the two weeks I was there either.

Sorry :?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There is a network of bothies in Scotland (and elsewhere I believe) which offer a "halfway house" :wink: between camping and BB/YH etc, the bothies have a good ethos I think, I have read about them but never used one.

Have used them extensively, shelter from the storm, from sheds to stone crofts ... Their numbers are getting smaller as the "cheque book mountaineers" keep dying trying to get to them rather than retreat .... There is a Mountain Bothies Association .... give the website a look .... you'll have to leave the bike outside ...lol
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:interesting point bryn.

One could chain the bike to the gas bottles behind the van, or ask the site manager, there are probably sheds or stores where it could be left securely.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:I travel extensively throughout the UK on business, I have cards for Premier Inn and Travelodge, i can book in at no notice without having to pay ... my company does ...

But if it's your company paying aren't you, as the owner, paying for it yourself?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker