Do you actually like camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bigjim

Re: Do you actually like camping?

Postby bigjim » 18 May 2016, 5:16pm

tatanab wrote:
sabrutat wrote:I can't imagine touring and not wild camping. The freedom from schedules and being able to change destination on a whim are the entirety of the experience for me.
Equally true of using camp sites. Freedom to change route and destination because nothing has been booked. It paid dividends last year on an extremely windy day when I simply "went somewhere else".

Equally true of B&Bs. We usually book somewhere within about an hour of arrival. have ended up with wierd, wonderful, entertaining and strange accommadation. All adds to the flavour. Thankyou Booking.com.

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 18 May 2016, 7:48pm

Sometimes I can hate it (just a little). Monday night I did a quick shake down ride of my new bike riding out 25 miles or so to a small campsite. It was very nice. I distinctly remember thinking that the sound of the church clock chiming added to the atmosphere while I was cooking my evening meal. I wasn't quiet so keen on it when it continued to chime every quarter hour all night long! I wonder how the locals cope! Still at least it showed up something missing from my packing list, earplugs!

sabrutat

Postby sabrutat » 19 May 2016, 1:39pm

You may be right about about the convenience of commercial campsites and B&Bs: I've done some of the former, but none of the latter. As a tour progresses, I visit commercial campsites less and less. I simply start to baulk at paying a tenner to rent a patch of grass, or even a fiver. This could, of course, be my Yorkshire thriftiness exerting itself, but I think it's more than that. I think it's the shedding of infrastructure I find attractive.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 24 May 2016, 6:10pm

sabrutat wrote:You may be right about about the convenience of commercial campsites and B&Bs: I've done some of the former, but none of the latter. As a tour progresses, I visit commercial campsites less and less. I simply start to baulk at paying a tenner to rent a patch of grass, or even a fiver. This could, of course, be my Yorkshire thriftiness exerting itself, but I think it's more than that. I think it's the shedding of infrastructure I find attractive.

over a long tour can amount to a tidy sum of money? I wish I had more courage :cry:

Bicycler

Postby Bicycler » 24 May 2016, 6:42pm

Yeah, I like it. I like cycling too. Neither means that I like doing either in horrible conditions but I might enjoy the trip that involves doing either or both in horrible conditions.

To the OP: it's not for everybody and it's fine to decide that it's not for you.

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 25 May 2016, 12:12am

Yes I actually like camping,

rps20160525_000900.jpg

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 May 2016, 10:52am

rualexander wrote:Yes I actually like camping,

rps20160525_000900.jpg

where is that?

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 25 May 2016, 11:03am

mercalia wrote:

rps20160525_000900.jpg

where is that?

Tiree, last friday morning.

robing

Postby robing » 25 May 2016, 9:27pm

rualexander wrote:
mercalia wrote:

rps20160525_000900.jpg

where is that?

Fantastic. Camping can be amazing. But some campsites can be awful.

robing

Postby robing » 26 May 2016, 6:35pm

rualexander wrote:
mercalia wrote:

rps20160525_000900.jpg

where is that?

I have to ask, what were the midges like? I'm heading up that way next month - Mull, then Barra,Uists. I may try Coll and Tiree. You have to go back to Oban first though, don't you?

The new RET ferry prices on Cal mac sound great. I'm going to take my car to Mull as well, but not the Outer Hebrides.

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 26 May 2016, 7:28pm

robing wrote:
rualexander wrote:
mercalia wrote:
where is that?

I have to ask, what were the midges like? I'm heading up that way next month - Mull, then Barra,Uists. I may try Coll and Tiree. You have to go back to Oban first though, don't you?

The new RET ferry prices on Cal mac sound great. I'm going to take my car to Mull as well, but not the Outer Hebrides.

I was away for the two weeks between 8th may and 22nd may, cycling from Oban up through Mull, across to Ardnamurchan, on to Mallaig, then a few days on Rum, back to Mallaig for ferry to Lochboisdale, then down to Barra, and finally to Tiree before returning to Oban.

Virtually no midgies, only a few one night on Rum really, but most evenings there was a fair breeze, and they will be getting worse from now on.

On a wednesday the Oban-Barra-Oban ferry goes via Coll and Tiree so I timed my trip to fit in with that.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » 27 May 2016, 8:06am

Another vote for camping ... allows me to explore interesting places away from the hustle and bustle of daily life ...

ImageCamped at Mt Billy, Western Australia by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

ImageHazard Navigtion by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

ImageEphemeral Creek by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 27 May 2016, 9:07am

Very bonny pic, you should pop that on to Hilleberg's Facebook page, I'm sure they'd love it (looks like a Nammatj to me, at least!).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 27 May 2016, 3:44pm

pjclinch wrote:

Very bonny pic, you should pop that on to Hilleberg's Facebook page, I'm sure they'd love it (looks like a Nammatj to me, at least!).

Pete.

It's a Hilleberg Stalon, got it on ebay a few weeks ago, in brand new condition, I was looking for one to replace my old one which has deteriorated from UV damage over the last 18 years. Really wanted green again, but red certainly looks good in photos.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 28 May 2016, 10:40am

Absolutely!
My parent took my brother, sister and I camping all over Ireland when we were kids and those are the memories that will stick with me forever.
Not long after I bought my touring bike I bought a new tent with the intention of taking up cycle touring and whilst I haven't accomplished that yet, I have camped with the tent.
Things got better last year when my fiancee agreed to try it. She loved it. That was despite our cheapo £40 Asda tent that goes up inner first....not ideal when it's chucking down. That 1 night trial turned into 4 days of sheer joy.
Last October we took my daughters for a night and despite everything getting soaked (poor setup planning on my part) they also loved it and can't wait to go again.
Pam and I had another overnighter last weekend just to get away from everything and that went well too.
So far we've stuck to the same site just because it's such a nice site but Pam's agreed to try another 'less polished' site in August (no showers and 1 toilet...that's it) partly because I keep nagging her to try it and partly because that's were a good friend is having his 50th birthday party. Staggering back to the tent over rocks and stuff after 6-7 cans of Caffreys should be fun!
One thing we've both noticed is the feeling of safety. We can leave the tent without a lock and the expensive sleeping mat and cooking gear and stuff at the site and wander off for a walk or a drive and come back after 6 hours to find everything were we left it. That can't be done anywhere these days. And the kids can wander around the site exploring without me worrying about them. Even at the local park I'm a little uneasy about taking my eye off them.
Our next trip to the same site will be in August with all the kids and we've just bought a new bigger and posher tent too :mrgreen: I can't wait!
13240551_10206565610044413_3624205104747670294_n.jpg
Rynys Farm site Penmachno
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.