robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
PH

Re: robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Post by PH »

bretonbikes wrote:And speaking of tents being easy to erect I can't resist posting this film made by one of our old customers... The tent is a Vaude sadly now out of production, but I can't help smiling;-)

https://youtu.be/dPAkG1gPkac

:D :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cute vid of more simple erections

http://kuuk.club/m/1575482811983607527_5544317631
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Cute vid of more simple erections

well 2 people can put up any tent quick? One on his own would be a real pain.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I can assure you it's fine mercalia. I do it myself. Don't kidnap anyone to help me. Have managed fine on campsites including in high winds, free camping also.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:Cute vid of more simple erections

well 2 people can put up any tent quick? One on his own would be a real pain.

I don't really see anything about that that would make me think "really awkward to pitch for one". What do you see as the sticking points? With a gale blowing not as easy as a Staika, but then again, what is?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

throwing the outer over
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:throwing the outer over

No problem.

Once you have the simple knack of getting the orientation right so that the doors line-up you just, er, throw it over.

It clips to the inner in just four places and once you have two clipped you are fine.

And a bit of wind can if anything help if you stand the right side when you throw it.

I've done it in high wind in the dark mercalia.

Honest :)
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

I assume they put it up according to the conditions. My tent has a similar throw over design, except on a windy day I'd attach one side first, it's never been a problem.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

But OTOH just about any inner-first pitch has that (mis) feature too, and it's been getting used in all conditions, up to the very worst, for a long time now, including solo work.

I don't like it myself and generally consider fly-first or all-in-one superior ways to go about lightweight tents, but that's not the same as suggesting probably the main way they're implemented is quite broken for solo campers.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Given today's weather, and before getting out on the bikes, gave the Robens Lodge 2 tent an airing on the lawn. For those reading this thread earlier, I was very fortunate to get one of these for £80 in the autumn following another poster's recommendation.

Have to say, I'm impressed at the amount of design details in this tent and at the price we paid, simply astonishing. A lot of space inside, looks to be good ventilation design, a lot of internal storage pockets and even a loft net, plenty of storage space inside the fly, really like the 2 doors and I can easily sit up (I'm 6'). We're going on an extended campervan / cycling trip at the end of May and plan to use this as our main tent when not sleeping in the van, which is quite often when on the continent. We will still take a lighter 2-person Vaude tent for use on the bikes but I think we'll also give this a go on some of our trips, to see how it handles.

I can only endorse the positive comments and recommendations for this tent and thank everyone for their advice.

Robens tent.jpg
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

Interested in where you leave van if cycling off and sleeping in tent. We have cycle camped in various parts of France and have now bought a campervan, but still want to cycle camp so would like to pick your brains.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

PrinterJohn wrote:Interested in where you leave van if cycling off and sleeping in tent. We have cycle camped in various parts of France and have now bought a campervan, but still want to cycle camp so would like to pick your brains.

Customers at our campsite in Gouarec frequently leave campervans with us for days whilst they cycle off down the Nantes-Brest canal - costs 5€ a day to be parked up.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

We're going to Slovenia and Croatia this time.

In France we haven't often left the van and cycled off for several days yet (my partner only retires at the end of May). As Bretonbikes says, campsites often willing to allow you to leave van for modest fee, something that we've done in the UK. Tourist offices have always given us advice, essentially, to leave it in a local car parking area, in the square, etc, and seem very relaxed about it - more so that we have been so far. We've left the van in 'aires' for several days, where campervans can park up for free, and this has worked fine, and this facility is common throughout France.

https://park4night.com/ is an app that provides Europe wide info about where you can stay/park up, including where it's free (coverage more sparse wider-afield). This is now installed on my smartphone. Info provided by users. This covers Slovenia and is helpful in planning where we're going. I am told by friends who spend several months a year in their campervans on the continent that apps like this are the standard source for where you can stay, reliable and up to date, but we haven't had experience of it's usefulness yet. I'm sure there will be other users who can provide advice based on their own experiences. Looking at the app it reveals that there are places around York where you can safely, generally, park up for the night - that was news for me.

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012