Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Post by Sweep »

Sweep
hamster

Re: robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Post by hamster »

Bretonbikes on this forum runs camping tours as a business and swears by Robens tents for durability, especially of the poles.

Looks like a bit of a steal at that price!
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> Described as an Ultralite tent but weighs in at 3.3Kg. I wonder how much a heavy tent weighs? :P
> If the weight isn't a problem, that does look a roomy tent at a very good price :D
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's pretty big - similar to a Terra Nova Quasar - and a similar weight. So I'd say it is pretty light considering its size and relatively sturdy cloth.

I'm always puzzled by why people obsess about tent weight, then buy something with such a light groundsheet that they end up packing a footprint.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

hamster wrote:It's pretty big - similar to a Terra Nova Quasar - and a similar weight. So I'd say it is pretty light considering its size and relatively sturdy cloth.

I'm always puzzled by why people obsess about tent weight, then buy something with such a light groundsheet that they end up packing a footprint.

Aye, it is a bit odd.
Polyester fly on this means a bit heavier but on the other hand happier in UV and sags less when wet. 10mm poles heavier, but stronger.

I like the two-door layout with a porch and exit each. At the price it looks like a pretty good punt if you want two people in comfort (or one in lots of comfort).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

There's a code on the Blacks site that gets an extra 15% off the £109. I was very tempted but opted for a slightly lighter Saunders Hill Trek on ebay instead.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

We've been using the Lodge 2 for Breton Bikes for two seasons now and it is the first tent in 26 years that has had no failures whatsoever - poles, zips etc - and everyone wihout excception loves them. They are a bargain at full price.

They are so good I wrote a review of them here - http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cyc ... ng-holiday

In our business you can imagine the hammering they get week-in week-out...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

What's the situation with getting spare poles breton?

Are third party generic spares available.

I fully expect the 10mm poles to be stronger than the things used on two vango tents i have but worry about the 10mm ones maybe being less common.

Just checked and on a brief clickthrough it still seems to be available.

I really shouldn't be buying another tent but your write up was so glowing .....
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ps, breton.

Slightly confused by your postscript to that glowing review you linked to.

According to the link i posted above they are still DAC poles on the Black's sale version.
Sweep
irc

Post by irc »

hamster wrote:I'm always puzzled by why people obsess about tent weight, then buy something with such a light groundsheet that they end up packing a footprint.

My Terra Nova Laser was 1.1kg with a homemade footprint. There is a wide spectrum before you get to over 3kg.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Sweep wrote:Ps, breton.

Slightly confused by your postscript to that glowing review you linked to.

According to the link i posted above they are still DAC poles on the Black's sale version.

The first batch we got in 2013 was equipped with DAC poles - but last year they were replaced with more generic poles. It is in theory a 'downgrade' which is a shame, but we've still had no breakages and so the fundamental design is as sound as ever. So still a strong recommendation. The 'Blacks' might be a 2013 model, or they may be unaware that the spec has changed.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
jags

Post by jags »

bretonbikes have you a website.
ooops didn't see your link. :oops:
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

jags wrote:bretonbikes have you a website.
ooops didn't see your link. :oops:

Yes it's there - I try to do that delicate balance of pointing people to articles I've written without pushing our commercial activities. I take the view that anyone here has no need of our cycling holidays, but might well benefit from my experience!
jags

Post by jags »

Cheers to be honest i'm pretty useless at planning a tour so all the help i can get is much appreciated.
i toured in france few years ago but is was a total disaster, 4 days of monsoon rain i headed back to roscoff got the ferry back to ireland . :roll:
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

jags wrote:Cheers to be honest i'm pretty useless at planning a tour so all the help i can get is much appreciated.
i toured in france few years ago but is was a total disaster, 4 days of monsoon rain i headed back to roscoff got the ferry back to ireland . :roll:

Well in that case this might help as a starting point - http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cyc ... at-roscoff - nice and easy and all mapped out for you.