robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Post by Sweep »

Brilliant encouraging reply breton. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

I already have a few tents, so have no crying short term need for another, but i think I have to get one of these - seems to tick all of the boxes - will wait for off-season sales though I can't see it getting diwn to last December's Blacks sale price again.

Your comments on too much tension on tunnel tent poles ring true after my experiences with a vango spirit 200+. I quite often had an uncomfortable feeling when putting it up, though can't claim the seasoned expertise of your buttocks.

》》I can 'feel' when a pole is being bent too tight (just get that clenched buttocks feel;-)

Maybe you should market this as a tool - something like the park chain took - may have to be posted in plain brown packaging though.

All the best
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well eventually jumped and got one for £108 inc postage from taunton leisure.

A fair way north of the blacks unfulfilled price upthread but a quick trawl of the web seemed to show less places selling it this year so i thought there would be less chance of later season sales. And just checked one day after it arrived to see that taunton leisure have now sold out.

First impressions from an initial test erection are very good, though i do worry a bit about trying to get the fly on in the wind by myself, more so if it is raining. Also some slightly fiddly bits of velcro to attach underside of fly to poles which could involve a bit of rummaging aided by a head torch.

But generally very pleased. Seems, with slight reservations, to be very easy to erect - happy that the only pole sleeve is on the short transverse pole. Seems very stable. Instructions a model of clarity as well.

Pack fits fine on the rack.

Many thanks breton.
Sweep
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Personally I ignor the whole velcro stuff and just clip the outer on and sleep;-) No doubt if a force 10 is forcast it's an idea to guy and velcro it, but in sub-gale condidions I never bother with using more than 6 pegs;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

BretonBikes: Have you tested whether Nikwax tent and gear Gear Solar Proof extends the life of tents by any amount?

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=502
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

No sorry
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Bretonbikes:

given you have a fleet of tents and extending their life would be cost-saving:
perhaps a controlled experiment (with control group).....
:)
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Bretonbikes:

It's an interesting product, but it's disappointing that NikWax don't show test results on their website: you'd have thought it would be relatively straightforward to leave treated and untreated samples in the sun and then do a video comparing how easy they are to tear.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

andymiller wrote:

It's an interesting product, but it's disappointing that NikWax don't show test results on their website: you'd have thought it would be relatively straightforward to leave treated and untreated samples in the sun and then do a video comparing how easy they are to tear.

True. As with so many of these products a simple back-to-back test would be better than pages of claims.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

First test erection i must admit was inside the house :)

Have now had it up and down twice in the garden as practice and remain amazed by how easy it is to erect.

Had a closer look at poles and, yes, no dimples. Although the main poles now appear to be the same 8.5mm size as my vango (ridge pole appears to be 9.5mm) i do have the feeling that they are significantly superior.

I used 10 pegs but on rereading your review breton i note that you usually just use 6, which must say something about its design.

On rereading your review in more detail I also note that you HARDLY EVER use guy ropes at all.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

Am currently thinking of removing mine (but keeping them packed with the tent) as they would otherwise flap around if not used and possibly rub/damage the outer in time. But will practice knots if I ever need to fasten them back on in extremis.

My garden has had no wind but a bit of test pushing and shoving makes it all seem very stable.

Do jump in and caution me breton if removing the guy lines is not advised.

Thanks again for the recommendation - as i privately told a fellow forumite, I may have found the tent for the rest of my camping life and just hope that they keep the design so that i can easily get spares.
Sweep
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Glad you're pleased;-)

Yes I generally remove lines (they rattle against the tent in any wind) and use 6 pegs - two for the door and one on each of the other two sides. Thus equipped she'll survive anything up to the sort of weather than has me sleeping in the toilet block;-) Never quite sure which is best - letting the tent distort and shed wind or guying it so it stands firm...

Great tent and you'll find similar designs elsewhere and I think as a 'form' they are hard to beat.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

bretonbikes wrote:.....As with so many of these products a simple back-to-back test would be better than pages of claims.

bretonbikes :I was suggesting that you were in a good position to run a test, having a fleet of matching tents, just some extra recordkeeping required of usage against which tents are nikwaxed
...... :-) And if works as advertised, your tents' lifes are extended.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I'd say use with caution. I used the product last summer according to instructions, dried the tent and packed it away. Used it a few weeks later and all the glued on attachments and seams fell apart.
Can't say it was the product but they denied culpability saying tent had delaminated. Reasonable quality tent ruined which appeared on inspection prior to application to be sound.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Very odd. We've been using them for three seasons now - obviously used heavily and then packed away for the winter. Though we tend to sell on and turn them over every year they get several years use in one season and we've had nothing like that. So firstly it looks like a sample fault, but secondly who denied responsibility - the shop or Robens? Either should have jumped through hoops to sort you out...
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Sorry, a misunderstanding. I was referring to the protective product asked about earlier. My tent was a North Face. In the light of my experience I would in future let UV take its natural course.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

manybikes wrote:Sorry, a misunderstanding. I was referring to the protective product asked about earlier. My tent was a North Face. In the light of my experience I would in future let UV take its natural course.

Ah - me just being dim;-)