Re: robens lodge 2 tent on offer

Post by crazydave789 »

so what is the pole weight on these?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that dave.

Yes makes sense.

Come to think of it perhaps ebay doesn't want addresses on private sales (though they had a lot of tents for a purely private thing) in order to stop folk doing private cash deals outside ebay.

Looks like i may have missed a bargain :)
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I had a look at some of their other tents and some are being sold as collection only ( too heavy I suppose ) so they are not being evasive about their address

I see some of their tents are described as TECHNICAL TENTS - what on earth are they?

EG https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-Panther-2-man-technical-tent-4000HH-BRAND-NEW-and-postage-is-FREE/192355348600?hash=item2cc945b078:g:LeIAAOSwoVFZ4PrF
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:I had a look at some of their other tents and some are being sold as collection only ( too heavy I suppose ) so they are not being evasive about their address

I see some of their tents are described as TECHNICAL TENTS - what on earth are they?

EG https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-Panther-2-man-technical-tent-4000HH-BRAND-NEW-and-postage-is-FREE/192355348600?hash=item2cc945b078:g:LeIAAOSwoVFZ4PrF

No idea but several manufacturers describe various tents as technical. The term is also applied to clothing as in "technical fleece" and some even use it to to describe where they cycle. It appears to be one of those meaningless and over used filler words that some folk are so fond of.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Technical means it's not for you boy! Oh no, it's only for them that knows nothing but have a flash gold card to pay with, sounds better like matey :roll:

IME 'technical' usually means lots of features with no useful purpose, extra zips - that sort of thing.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Well, the tent arrived this afternoon, ordered early Wednesday evening, no charges on top for couriering. Really well packaged, obviously brand new and no obvious faults to suggest a second. Not sure what year but various websites suggest to me this is no older than 2015 and may even be the current model – certainly not an issue for us. In terms of value, this is exceptional.

Only erected in our sitting room but we both really like the design: vertical sides, bit wider than our lightweight Vaude Taurus UL, which weighs 1900 g, we like the twin doors (we had a Fjallraven tent in the early 1980s which was great for a few years - under 3 kg, packed small and doors on each side. We still have it but Alpine trips and UV mean no longer suitable for camping trips, just playing in the garden).

Weighs a bit more than the Vaude, at tad over 3.3 kg (the poles weigh 600 g) but could probably easily get down a pound or two if required. Agree with Bretonbikes, the bags are very decent size and robust. I tend to pack the tent on the rack lengthways. Currently using one of the Tortec ones (cheap version of Tubus), and never have a problem with the narrowness – the panniers keep anything on top in place. To reduce weight we use dry bags to keep things in on the top.

My partner and I don’t usually go very lightweight these days so I think we are going to be pleased with our purchase – thank you again to all those who have recommended this tent.

Here's a picture of the bikes sheltering from the heat in Brittany in June.

France stop.jpg
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Glad you like it chat even if you got what could have been my spare :)

Yes it is a great design.

Hint on getting the fly sheet on/arranged properly - don't try to line up the doors - it will probably mess with your mind - it did mine.

Instead line up the side vents, chuck it over, clip it on - done.

The loop one one of the ends of the transverse pole I find handy for running a washing line from if you put the tent in the vague vicinity of a tree as it is high up.
Sweep
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Chat Noir wrote:Well, the tent arrived this afternoon, ordered early Wednesday evening, no charges on top for couriering. Really well packaged, obviously brand new and no obvious faults to suggest a second. Not sure what year but various websites suggest to me this is no older than 2015 and may even be the current model – certainly not an issue for us. In terms of value, this is exceptional.

Only erected in our sitting room but we both really like the design: vertical sides, bit wider than our lightweight Vaude Taurus UL, which weighs 1900 g, we like the twin doors (we had a Fjallraven tent in the early 1980s which was great for a few years - under 3 kg, packed small and doors on each side. We still have it but Alpine trips and UV mean no longer suitable for camping trips, just playing in the garden).

Weighs a bit more than the Vaude, at tad over 3.3 kg (the poles weigh 600 g) but could probably easily get down a pound or two if required. Agree with Bretonbikes, the bags are very decent size and robust. I tend to pack the tent on the rack lengthways. Currently using one of the Tortec ones (cheap version of Tubus), and never have a problem with the narrowness – the panniers keep anything on top in place. To reduce weight we use dry bags to keep things in on the top.

My partner and I don’t usually go very lightweight these days so I think we are going to be pleased with our purchase – thank you again to all those who have recommended this tent.

Here's a picture of the bikes sheltering from the heat in Brittany in June.

France stop.jpg

glad its worked out ok for you, as for being cautious, some folks are even worried about getting up in the morning. when i posted up the link they had 3..''he who hesitates, is lost, Rodney!!'''
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

or he who dares......

stange that they were so cheap - seems like the standard price is like £130+ maybe fell of the back of a lorry :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yostumpy wrote:as for being cautious, some folks are even worried about getting up in the morning. when i posted up the link they had 3..''he who hesitates, is lost, Rodney!!'''

Now now yo :) i was concerned by the "in between" nature of the seller and the fact that it said "no returns", though i have the impression that ebay's terms allow you to even dispute that condition.

Also when i got your encouraging feedback i wasn't in a place where i could make a safe transaction.

Was also starting to wonder whether stocking a spare was a good idea, possible deterioration of the fly and/or its coating.

For i do already have a young lodge 2.

Great great tent. Easy peasy to pitch, very nice size for 1 tbough i would find it cramped for 2 cycle tourists.

Maybe have a slight concern that a pole breakage could tear the flysheet because of the design but then am maybe cautious :)

Many thanks for your help and PMs on this. It was appreviated.

All the best.

Ps, re your point mercalia, always possible that it was a "normal" retail outlet shifting stock at the end of the year without devaluing its other market pitch. Shops and manufacturers sometimes do this.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

"Technical" is outdoor gear marketing speak for "better" and/or "more expensive".

As with other marketing speak, it may or may not mean anything, or if it actually does it may not be relevant to the job at hand (e.g., a "technical" MTB knobbly tyre genuinely designed for optimum mud performance with all sorts of fancy manufacture will be pants on tarmac).

With Karrimor these days I suspect it's "forget we're a shadow of our former selves and a device for shifting bland product at Sports Direct, this may be just the sort of innovative leading edge stuff previously associated with the name and IT'S ONLY 70 QUID!"

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Glad everyone is happy. Happy camping all !! :)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pjclinch wrote:"Technical" is outdoor gear marketing speak for "better" and/or "more expensive".

Pete.

If that really was the case then Hilleberg would use the term to describe their tents. They don't.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

pete75 wrote:
pjclinch wrote:"Technical" is outdoor gear marketing speak for "better" and/or "more expensive".

If that really was the case then Hilleberg would use the term to describe their tents. They don't.

Marketing departments don't all try and press the same buttons. But that doesn't mean the commoner buttons don't have consistent sets of associations. So not everyone calls an evolutionary incrementally improved items "game changers", but it happens often enough to be pretty sure the game isn't really about to change (despite the Game Changer's amazing Technical Features...) and if you have last year's model you can probably do without the new one (particularly the case with waterproof and/or insulated jackets).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

mercalia wrote:could have been bankrupt stock ( or maybe end of line ). I think my Kelty tarp tent at £55 was that as the normal price is £100

Just as likely to be 'last years model'. As I I've put in my review - the original 'Lodge' was perfect - the following year it was downgraded with cheaper poles - now having used the latter I can confirm that there are no problems with the 'new' version in heavy use, but it still shows that 'this year's model' is just as likely to be inferior as superior to the previous year's.

And speaking of tents being easy to erect I can't resist posting this film made by one of our old customers... The tent is a Vaude sadly now out of production, but I can't help smiling;-)

https://youtu.be/dPAkG1gPkac
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...