Trouble deciding on a tent upgrade

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jimstar79

Re: Trouble deciding on a tent upgrade

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hi JackRabbitSlims, are you a Kiwi or just travelling there? My big plan is to get over to NZ to cycle travel during the UK winter. I've read that the weather can really kick up a fuss at times during the summer, particularly in the South Island, that's part of the reason I wanted to get a HP, plus I may take it to some altitude (if I decide to spend a night on Mt Cook!!).

I think the thing that I like about the MSR Hubba Hubba is the ability to sit up in it. I really don't like always having to do everything lying down or buckled bent over. That's why I am getting a divorce from my last tent! Well, a separation of sorts where we hook up every so often and fall out all over again!

Unfortunately, MSR and retailers seem hell bent on keeping up the high price tag of these great tents - over here in Europe the price for a Hubba Hubba HP can be anywhere from £320 to £400. If I could just get hold of one for £250 I'd be a happy man!

As for sleeping mats, I'm surprised they cost so much in NZ. I am hunting for one right now in the UK and found a Thermarest Prolite Plus from Germany for about £50, so maybe about NZ$120.

Anyhoo, have a good Saturday! Or is it Sunday there, already?
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
jags

Post by jags »

Yes jack it is ,i used it once in a very windy night in the mourn mountains i neary froze to death in it :cry: used it in the uk way to small , when i sold my touring bike i actually gave the guy the tent i feckin hated it .
it came highly recommended but as soon as i seen it pitched i knew we weren't going to get on.
now the nallo gt is good .the american tents free standing are good why not look at rei tents .
if your moving on each day whats the point in spending a bloody fortune on a tent your only going to use a handfull of times during the year.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Jimstar79 wrote:Hi JackRabbitSlims, are you a Kiwi or just travelling there? My big plan is to get over to NZ to cycle travel during the UK winter. I've read that the weather can really kick up a fuss at times during the summer, particularly in the South Island, that's part of the reason I wanted to get a HP, plus I may take it to some altitude (if I decide to spend a night on Mt Cook!!).

I think the thing that I like about the MSR Hubba Hubba is the ability to sit up in it. I really don't like always having to do everything lying down or buckled bent over. That's why I am getting a divorce from my last tent! Well, a separation of sorts where we hook up every so often and fall out all over again!

Unfortunately, MSR and retailers seem hell bent on keeping up the high price tag of these great tents - over here in Europe the price for a Hubba Hubba HP can be anywhere from £320 to £400. If I could just get hold of one for £250 I'd be a happy man!

As for sleeping mats, I'm surprised they cost so much in NZ. I am hunting for one right now in the UK and found a Thermarest Prolite Plus from Germany for about £50, so maybe about NZ$120.

Hi Jimstar79,

Yes, I'm a kiwi currently living back here after 4 years on the road with my BackPack.
The transition back to "normal life" here (whatever that is ) is not going too well and I'm making plans to get on the road (literally) around June of next year in Europe for a cycle touring trip.

Please come to NZ. It's perfectly set up for cycle touring. Summer here now (well, almost) and I'm working with a British girl who has come out here for the summer to work. She will go cycle touring the country at the end of the season with her boyfriend, so we are talking up a storm each day about kit etc etc.
Yes, the weather can be a bit wild at times, but if you have good gear to cope with it - no worries mate.
32 Deg C here yesterday (Saturday) I'm in Hawkes Bay (North Island).

Are you serious about an attempt on Mt Cook? - if so, please do not under estimate. Many get in trouble trying to knock that one off.....right now there is a climber stranded up there after 3 nights on his own. Can be very difficult to attempt rescues as the Sth Island is very thin through the middle and very exposed to weather from both east and west. Not trying to talk you out of it, but many read the altitude ad think it is a "piece of cake".

I like the Hubba Hubba NX and will probably secure one soon.

$400 for the sleeping mats is definitely at the top end of the scale.....I can see ones online here for around $90 - 150 NZD, but still!!

Early Sunday morning here (almost 4am) - I have an early start for work (Cruise Ship) as I have to Cycle Guide tourists for most of the day - weather is forecast very nice, so it shouldn't be too bad :D

Please ask any questions you have re cycle touring here in NZ and I'll do my best to help you out.
Have a good one.
Cheers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

jags wrote:Yes jack it is ,i used it once in a very windy night in the mourn mountains i neary froze to death in it

Being on the inside of a tent will only make so much difference to the temperature: you've got a couple of very thin sheets of nylon between you and outside and that's not much insulation. It's clothes, mat and sleeping bag that'll keep you warm, the tent just let's them do their job, it doesn't keep you warm itself. Out of interest, what sort of tent do you think would have kept you warmer than an Akto?

Pete
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JackRabbitSlims

jags wrote:Yes jack it is ,i used it once in a very windy night in the mourn mountains i neary froze to death in it :cry: used it in the uk way to small , when i sold my touring bike i actually gave the guy the tent i feckin hated it .
it came highly recommended but as soon as i seen it pitched i knew we weren't going to get on.
now the nallo gt is good .the american tents free standing are good why not look at rei tents .
if your moving on each day whats the point in spending a bloody fortune on a tent your only going to use a handfull of times during the year.

Hi jags,

wow!! used once, hated it and then gave it away......sounds like a nightmare and an expensive one :shock:

I'm in NZ so REI is not that great of an idea. I'd really like to see the tent before buying it. I've bought online from them before, but just replacement stuff that I know the size / dimensions etc.

By all accounts, people seem to recommend spending decent money on the tent? I'm planning at least a 6 month trip of which I would like to camp as much as i can, so I don't mind spending mid to top dollar on the tent as I'll be spending more than a handful of times in it.

Cheers.
JackRabbitSlims

OK - any comments on the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent?

I hadn't considered this tent, but has just come up on a local auction site, brand new for around the same price as the Hubba Hubba NX - carbon fibre poles??

Thanks.
JackRabbitSlims

Jimstar79 wrote:Hi JackRabbitSlims, are you a Kiwi or just travelling there? My big plan is to get over to NZ to cycle travel during the UK winter. I've read that the weather can really kick up a fuss at times during the summer, particularly in the South Island, that's part of the reason I wanted to get a HP, plus I may take it to some altitude (if I decide to spend a night on Mt Cook!!).

Climber stuck on Mt Cook - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11552878
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Oh gosh! I hope he is up there fighting for his life and still alive, not giving up!

I was joking about Mt Cook earlier - I understand what kind of mountaineering challenge it is - I wouldn't have been so care-free had I known that Mr Hunter Dowell was stuck on the mountain. I really hope that he survives this ordeal and they get him down to his family.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hey up, just a quick message about the Alpkit Jaran 2:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/jaran-2

1.9kg @ £140 (or £155 with footprint)

Seems like a decent tent for almost £200 less than the Hubba Hubba HP/NX. It's just, well, erm, blue for some strange reason! Why didn't they just make it a lichen/moss green colour tent?
H. G. Wells quotes
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The 1.85 kg Helsport Ringstind1 and 2.05 kg Helsport Ringstind 2 may be interesting as well (there is also a more expensive 1.85 kg Ringstind 2 light and an even more expensive and smaller Ringstind 1-2 ultralight). The Ringstind 1 sells for 380 euro in Germany and the Ringstind 2 for 450 euro. Compared to other one pole designs these are far more spacious, and fit for tall people. Compared to US tents they are also more suitable for nw European weather.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Jimstar79 wrote:Hey up, just a quick message about the Alpkit Jaran 2:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/jaran-2

Seems like a decent tent for almost £200 less than the Hubba Hubba HP/NX. It's just, well, erm, blue for some strange reason! Why didn't they just make it a lichen/moss green colour tent?

Maybe they just like blue? (Fjallraven do too). This is another former-Golite tent, Alpkit having picked up the old stock when Golite went bust. No comment beyond that, but it may help find reviews and further info.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...