mountain hardware sleeping bags

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

mountain hardware sleeping bags

Postby Sweep » 12 Mar 2016, 7:39am

In my ignorance never come across before but was in a cotswold shop recently and was rather impressed. Or maybe it was the knowledgeable sounding assistant.

Anyone got any experience of them/views?

In particular this?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain ... _colour=98
Sweep

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: mountain hardware sleeping bags

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Mar 2016, 11:53am

Hi,
I am ignorant too at the cost, and if it worth it :?:
I have a similar spec bag and it was a quarter the price, would be interesting to see if the bags performed any diffent :?:

What I hate about those sales pages is lack of dimensions, thought the description of more ergonomic head and foot might be true.

I have just bought my first cycling specific waterproof top from Mountain Hardware (that's after over 40 years of cycling all year round, having previously just used what I have from other sports) :?
No idea if it will be OK but we will see.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 12 Mar 2016, 3:49pm

Thanks for the reply.

Years since i bought a bag so am maybe out of touch.

Still using my mountain equipment bag which is excellent if maybe rather large to pack by modern standards.

Which bag do you recommend with a similar temp spec?

The one you have I suppose.

Which is it?
Sweep

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Mar 2016, 6:08pm

Hi,
I see that their top price is over $1000....................but it appears like some other makes that they do also make waterproof and breathable bags.
This one describes as water repellent, your link.

I have bought bags over the years from 1980 to about five years ago.
Mostly nowadays I am going for the lightest as I tend to sweat a lot and with a 3 season tent which is not draught free keeping a good balance is very difficult, so I sweat and chill all night :(

Plenty here have opinions on bags, so surprised others haven't joined in.

I see modern bags as having a very sophisticated construction, differential cut and filling as a greater gain in performance over the filling :?:

I would normally go for weight but comfort is always compromised by lack of free space with in the bag for the body.
Sports bags tent to be cut to the same dimensions, 210x80x50 cm which is snug for a 6' 12 stone man.
Maybe the bag is a mountain bag so cut is more generous :?:
I see from the specs they are just longer for their top bags not wider.
I have a old style vango ultralite 300 which is 1150g for bag, and comfort stated is 2-20 C.
Too warm at 15c for me.
These weights are for three season bags, the link says lower comfort -6C for 1219g.
The weight diff and maybe better construction gives the diff in temp, probably..........

irc

Postby irc » 12 Mar 2016, 7:04pm

It's expensive for a man-made filling bag. Getting into down bag territory.

Another £60 for example would get you a PHD Designs Minim 350. It's around 500g lighter and probably has as good or better warmth. The Mountain Hardware bag quotes -6C but as a lower comfort limit. The PHD bag with 350g filling of top class down would be comfortable at -2C but usable a good few degrees below. It would pack down far smaller for carrying.

PHD bags are as good as any in the world. This is a sale bag - one only - usual price a good bit higher. So don't hang about if you are interested. Standard length/width good for up to 6ft and maybe 42-44 chest I think.

Minim 350 down sleeping bag

Black M1 fabric. Weight: 720g. Typical Operating Temperature: -2°C. £199. Length: standard.
Minim 350 down sleeping bag

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/bargain-box

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 12 Mar 2016, 7:36pm

PHD bags are very good. I love my Minim jacket and gilet, and I used to own a Minim sleeping bag. But in my view the stuff about 'typical operating temperatures' should be treated with suspicion. It sounds like weasel words to me - if the bags are so good why don't they use the EN 13537 comfort rating system? Perhaps I'm a very warm sleeper, but use a Minim at -2ºC? Not me - or at least not without thermals a hat and my down jacket. Personally I think it's a 1-2 season bag (ie a comfort rating that's somewhere between 5 and 10ºC depending on how warm a sleeper you are, and maybe how warm your sleeping mat is)

That said it is a really very good summer sleeping bag so if you can get one in the sale I'd go for it —although if money is tight I would say go for a PHD down jacket and get a Decathlon ultralight bag.

irc

Postby irc » 12 Mar 2016, 8:07pm

andymiller wrote: use a Minim at -2ºC? Not me - or at least not without thermals a hat and my down jacket. Personally I think it's a 1-2 season bag (ie a comfort rating that's somewhere between 5 and 10ºC depending on how warm a sleeper you are, and maybe how warm your sleeping mat is).

PHD agree about wearing thermals.
you have sufficient ground insulation,your bag is dry,
you're wearing clothing appropriate to the conditions: below 0°C (32°F) we would expect anyone to wear at least thin thermal underwear

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/temperature- ... n-clothing

Everyone is different. My last down bag (not PHD quality) with 250g filling was good to freezing with thermals, a jersey, and a hat. So I'd expect for me 350g of top quality down in a well designed bag to be good to around -5c in a tent or bothy. I've recently bought a Minim 300 which I'll be using in Knoydart next week so I'll get a better idea how good they are.

I compared the loft in my old bag and my new one. They are the same weight to within a few grammes. The PHD lofts far more. I believe the hype but experience will tell.

b1galus

Postby b1galus » 12 Mar 2016, 8:33pm

I must admit i haven't had one of their sleeping bags but i did have one of their jackets and i just found their whole range to be generally overpriced . my bag was expensive( £360) when i bought it a long time ago however it is as good now as it was then . been cleaned a few times and keeps it's loft it is stored in a big bag . i think the Mountain Hardware stuff doesn't last as long and like a lot of companies nowadays are more driven by the dictates of fashion than functionality

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 12 Mar 2016, 10:43pm

I got one of these from Blacks for £99, https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/mountain ... zip/125010 It seemed a good comromise on price, performance and weight. It packs down very small. Only used it a couple of times but very happy with it.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Mar 2016, 5:11am

Many thanks for replies andy and all - interesting - consensus appears to be that they are expensive, as is much american stuff. You got a good deal there i think al - will look out for similar - blacks do frequent sales with click to collect. My mountain equipment bag is still perfectly usable but is a bit of a monster to pack on the bike - it was bought partly to zip together with partner's but she now feels somewhat above camping unless it can be accompanied by a full set of dining room furniture, so it's solo trips abike from now on :)
Sweep

boblo

Postby boblo » 13 Mar 2016, 8:26am

The main reason for going synthetic is if it's likely to get wet. Presumably that's why you're looking at them rather than down?Down bags will always win on weight/packed volume but lose badly if wet. I also have a PHD Minim and it's superb. Packs into a 4l dry bag and weighs 580g. Good to about zero with baselayer, hat and sometimes a Primaloft. I would have a really bad night if that included a puddle though...

You can buy synthetic bags from about £5 to the prices of Mountain Hardwear. I'll wager they're not all the same and MH kit gets very good reviews in mountaineering circles. I'll buy one when my old 1980's synthetic bag falls apart. It's now relegated to car/hut camping and is good enough for that.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 13 Mar 2016, 12:05pm

boblo wrote:The main reason for going synthetic is if it's likely to get wet. Presumably that's why you're looking at them rather than down?Down bags will always win on weight/packed volume but lose badly if wet.

The followup to which is... don't get them wet. This is actually easier to do than most people seem to think: it travels in a dry bag and is used in a waterproof tent. It's also seemingly the case that there's a general assumption about that if a down bag gets a drop of water on it it'll become useless, whereas the reality is it needs a pretty good soaking for that to happen, especially with modern shells and even more especially with the recent hydrophobic down fills.

Down does cost a lot more... but it also lasts a lot longer if properly cared for. Synthetic hollow fibre tends to break down more readily over time, particularly when compressed, so when you take that in to account the prices are more comparable.

Some folk claim that down bags are happier over a wider temperature range, but I have no opinion there: I've been using down since I was about 13, and I'm just coming up to 50. Most of my camping is in Scotland, it tends not to be dry, I don't have a problem.

If you don't have the capital then of course you don't have the capital, but I think the biggest reasons not to use down are you're allergic to it or have animal welfare issues with it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Mar 2016, 7:30pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I have just bought my first cycling specific waterproof top from Mountain Hardware (that's after over 40 years of cycling all year round, having previously just used what I have from other sports) :?
No idea if it will be OK but we will see.

:oops: That should of been Mountain Warehouse :) That's probably the poor mans choice.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Mar 2016, 7:38pm

Hi,
I can understand the differences between, down vs synthetic.
Down is lighter for sure but over a long period of time used the same and washed the same amount of times say ten years or more, which do you think would fare better, which would deteriorate quicker :?:

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Mar 2016, 8:07pm

Yes boblo, i decided ages ago that i'd stick to synthetic for the reason you outline though pjclinch's comment was interesting/food for thought. Though my bags may sometimes be used in a bivvy where keeping it dry might be more of a problem. Will watch this debate with interest.

Natural ankling :) yes it is confusing, mountain hardware/equipment/warehouse is damn confusing. I don't know about their camping kit, have the vague impression that it might be somewhat cheap/poor/mediocre, but i rate some of their clothing, very often sold discounted.

And thanks for asking that last question n ankling - i suppose i do have the idea that down demands special care.

And animal welfare, had momentarily forgotten - -isn't down very often produced from an horrific operation?
Sweep