Camping in Norway (Luxe Mini Peak inner question)

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sooper8

Camping in Norway (Luxe Mini Peak inner question)

Post by Sooper8 »

Booked flights for Bergen in early August and getting that excited feeling when you are planning for a trip.

We might use the DNT huts or camp in tent.

If we camp we are trying to keep the weight down and take just one tent, and I just wanted to ask a quick question to anyone who has a Luxe Mini Peak II.

I asked the supplier and they don't sell the inner on it's own anymore as they had a few issues . (I presume you can hang 2 inners to make it a 2 man?)

Can I ask...did anyone try this and find it will work ok, and fit without too may issues?
And then finally, if it is possible, does anyone know where I could purchase an inner on it's own?

Thanks in advance
firedfromthecircus

Re: Camping in Norway (Luxe Mini Peak inner question)

Post by firedfromthecircus »

The inner only has a zip on one side which is the inside side of the tent. If you fitted two standard inners both would open up onto each other and you would not have access to the outer doors. As the tent is sort of equilateral triangle and the inners are right angled triangles I don't think they would hang or fit well reversed, and if they did, and you and your partner were both in your respective inners you wouldn't be able to pass the cheese sandwich between you!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

firedfromthecircus wrote:The inner only has a zip on one side which is the inside side of the tent. If you fitted two standard inners both would open up onto each other and you would not have access to the outer doors. As the tent is sort of equilateral triangle and the inners are right angled triangles I don't think they would hang or fit well reversed, and if they did, and you and your partner were both in your respective inners you wouldn't be able to pass the cheese sandwich between you!

Ah, I was under a slight misapprehension that it was possible. I'd have to eat the cheese sandwich alone then!

Thanks for your reply and clearing that up.
syklist

Post by syklist »

August in Norway is usually lovely. However, the mornings can be exceedingly damp and quite cold and if the weather does turn then you will appreciate a tent with a large vestibule that can be easily pitched fly first with the footprint. Use it as a shelter to prepare food before hanging in the inner tent. Also if you are on the coast or high in the mountains you need a tent that can withstand high winds in the event of a late summer storm. The extra comfort of a bigger tent outweighs the "disadvantage" of a kilo or two if you end up with four days of bad weather in a row. If you have just good weather then the trip will be so fantastic that you will forget about the extra kilo or two anyway :D

If you want some Luxe spares then try Backpacking light in the UK. They have a fair few Luxe tents, even the bigger ones are really not that heavy and the biggest can take two single inners with plenty of space between them.

Re DNT huts, I am not sure which cycle route you are thinking of following but I have ecountered only one on our many travels in Norway that was on our route. That one was only because we took a mountain bike route through Oslomarka :) DNT huts seem to be found mainly on hiking routes.

One other thing, the summer season ends in Norway around the 12th of August when schools go back. This means that some campsites close while others have limited reception opening times and smaller ferries round the coast might stop running or only run at the weekend.

Mrs Syklist and I took our first long cycle trip in 2005 - we cycled the NSCR from Bergen to Strømstad on cheap bikes. We got lucky with the weather and the cycle camping bug bit us properly. There is some fantastic cycling to be had in Norway so I hope your tour goes well whatever equipment you decide to take.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Many thanks for all that info Syklist. I really appreciate it