Porridge when camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
gloomyandy

Porridge when camping

Post by gloomyandy »

First off I know there was a huge Porridge thread a little while ago, but it got so long and covered such a lot of different aspects that I can't for the life of me draw a conclusion from it (other than there are a lot of ways to make perfect porridge). So rather than ask a very general question, My question is...

What is the best porridge (what oats/other ingredients and how to make it) when camping given the following restrictions:
* No milk (I very rarely have any). Note that I'm happy to have milk powder in the mix, I just don't usually have actual milk with me!
* Single pan that I'd also like to use to boil water to make tea etc. so if possible I'd rather not make the porridge in the pan. I will have a bowl/pot in addition to the pan.
* I like sugar (I know, I know) in my porridge!
* I use gas for cooking but would rather not have to simmer stuff for a long time (even though my stove can simmer stuff pretty well).
* I don't want stuff in little plastic pots and I'd like to avoid stuff in sachets if I can (both take up too much room, and I don't like the waste involved).

I know that this will almost certainly result in sub optimal porridge and will having many people shaking their head in despair. But surely there is some combination of water/oats/heat/other stuff that produces something reasonable?

Thanks!
andymiller

Re: Porridge when camping

Post by andymiller »

Im wondering whether the pot cosy method of cooking might get round the simmering on a gas stove problem.

I'm pretty sure that mixing oats with dried milk and them adding water at cooking time would work - but experiment at home. I have a feeling porridge was originally made just with water.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I usually soak the oats over night and that creates a milk like texture. It also good to add linseeds which need to be soaked.
I generally get a good mixed fruit and nut bag too and maybe chop up a couple of dates
Best Mixed nuts i've found a t the moment are from Asda. they're £1.70 and they're called Golden nut mix. Make sure they're the ones without the peanuts.
I get good and cheap oats from Lidls. Also they do good soft dates there.

If you soak with a little less water than normal over night you can just top up with hot water if you like it warm. I don't i'm happy with it cold.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Isn't that basically muesli as opposed to porridge?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

If it was me I would just soak rolled oats in water, or water + powdered milk, and eat it like meusli. You need to soak them or you won't digest them properly and they'll just go right through you. Cooked rolled oats are just like stodge to me. Suppose that's easier than cooking when camping as long as you're organized.

However... If you're determined to cook your porridge, pinhead - rough, coarse oatmeal - is the best, but maybe it's not that practical for camping, although it doesn't take too long to cook. I find it cooks on the stove in the kitchen in about five minutes, or at least you turn the heat off after that time and let it finish cooking. I prefer honey to sugar - a big tablespoonful then let it melt then stir it in. You also need salt to taste, of course.

Also, I'm not a dietician but I think pinhead oatmeal releases its energy slower and for longer than the instant stuff. Certainly I find if I eat instant porridge it just sends me to sleep.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pinhe ... KTabjlhPAP
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I don't see any of your "conditions" a problem gloomyandy. A bag of sainsburys finest oats (no sachets or whatever involved) and you only have to simmer (and stir a bit) for 5 mins or so - surely that's not too long? I buy a lot of stuff from Lidl but would only use their oats in extremis.
Sweep
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Fine milled oats are available for use as an energy drink. All you need to do is add hot water. It will be a bit like paste but that's also what we'll cooked porridge looks like as well.

Edited

added an example link. Instant oats normal or gluten free

http://www.myprotein.com/carbohydrate/instant-oats.list
Last edited by freeflow on 13 May 2016, 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

In an ideal world what I'd really like to do is. Put water on stove. Put oats in bowl. Wait for water to boil. Poor water into bowl. Stir. Eat!

I'd happily stretch that to put oats in second pot, add boiling water, stir, leave (in pot cosy), eat.

I'd rather not simmer on the stove if I can avoid it. I'll even go the instant porridge route (sorry I know some will hate the idea), but they all seem to come in pots or sachets which I'd rather avoid, can you get the instant stuff just in a big bag or box (or is it really so bad that no one will ever eat that much :-))

I saw in Morrisions the other day something called Mornflake SuperFast Oats, has anyone tried them? There seems to be a bewildering selection of oats these days. I'm happy to try a few different ones at home, just looking for a pointer or two as to which ones to try!
Toeclip

Post by Toeclip »

Do not forget to add a dram of Highland Water (Whisky) makes for a better experience.
THE real Land- Rover rules
jk49

Post by jk49 »

I use horlicks lite instead of powdered milk. As its sweet you don't need to carry sugar and milk powder.I know its not your question, but a spoonful added to jumbo oats, nuts, dried and normal fruit makes a really tasty energy dense breakfast (meusli) when camping. Mix it all up dry then just squirt in some water from your drinking bottle.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

gloomyandy wrote:In an ideal world what I'd really like to do is. Put water on stove. Put oats in bowl. Wait for water to boil. Poor water into bowl. Stir. Eat!

Isn't that what Ready Brek does? The texture isn't the same but it wins on the convenience stakes. Why not give it a try (or Super-fast oats or whatever). Personally the flavoured varieties sound horrid, but I've never tried them ...

I think it does come down to either going through the faff of making proper porridge or have muesli/Ready Brek with hot milk (or Horlicks or whatever).

But if you don't know how to make porridge you presumably don't make it at home, so why the sudden desire to inflict it on yourself on tour? (Before I get flamed by the porridge-lovers - I'm being tongue in cheek ;-) )
whoof

Post by whoof »

Can you not boil some water in your pot and make tea, then use the same pot to make porridge.

As mentioned by andymiller no simmer porridge is Readybrek but then it's not really porridge and you still need to boil the milk or whatever you add to it. If you are going to boil milk made with milk powder make this the night before as it's less likely to burn/stick to be bottom of the pan (tip from ex-Head of Pastry).
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Oh I know how to make porridge from traditional oats (with a mixture of milk and water), but they way I make it at home takes a fair amount of time and a lot of simmering. My home method also tends to leave a pan that takes rather a lot of cleaning which again I'd rather avoid if possible! Anyway sounds like some experimentation is called for!

As to why, well I often find that it is a bit chilly first thing in the morning (in NW Scotland), so I like to have something hot to start the day, but once awake I like to get packed up and away reasonably quickly so don't really want to be cleaning pans and things, especially when wild camping (my bowl can just be wiped and rinsed). Hence the search for porridge that can be made in the bowl with just hot water!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Why not just use the instant stuff, like 'Oat so simple' or 'cup porridge'? If you can only find it in individual packets or pots, just empty them out into your container of choice. I've seen it in the same sort of bags that they sell flour & sugar in. If you can find the quaker oats version, you can get it in a bigger container.

They do exactly what you've asked for (you do need to let them sit for a few minutes after pouring in the boiling hot water), and all things considered, they aren't too bad (yes, I know someone will come along and say they are horrible, but I don't think they are). I don't think ti sticks to my ribs quite the way a proper porridge does, but the nice thing about them is that you can even make them with hot water from a hotel room kettle, or the tea making water at a petrol station.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

gloomyandy wrote:... Hence the search for porridge that can be made in the bowl with just hot water!

You need Brose!

A quantity of coarse oatmeal - with salt 'to taste' as they say - is placed in a bowl and boiling water poured over it. The water must be boiling hard as it pours and there should be enough of it to just cover the oatmeal. A plate is immediately placed over the bowl like a lid. You now sit by for a few minutes, gloating. This is your brose cooking in its own steam. During this pause, slip a nut of butter under the plate and into the brose. In four or five minutes whip off the lid, stir the mass violently together, splash in some milk and eat. You will never again be happy with the wersh and fushionless silky slop which passes for porridge. This was the food whose devotees staggered the legions of Rome; broke the Norsemen; held the Border for five hundred years; and are standing fast on borders till. It is a dish for men. It also happens to taste superbly.

Seriously, I think it is much nicer than porridge (not slimy), you can eat more as it doesn't have time to swell like cooked porridge, and it doesn't get stuck to the pan. There's nothing to stop you adding sugar or honey to taste (or whisky...)