Dried foods and dehydrators

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
syklist

Dried foods and dehydrators

Post by syklist »

Can anyone suggest a good online supplier of dried foods that might ship to Norway? I am looking for stuff like vegetables, mushrooms and onions. Not whole packaged meals. I have a preference for EU based companies.

I am thinking of buying a dehydrator, has anyone used one to prepare dried veggies and other ingredients and home made dried meals for use on tour?
So long and thanks for all the fish...
al_yrpal

Re: Dried foods and dehydrators

Post by al_yrpal »

Amazon do dehydrated mixed veg, peppers, mushrooms and onions.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jk49

Post by jk49 »

I have a dehydrator made by l'equipe. I use it to make dried ready meals, mostly for when we are hiking and weight and the proximity to places to buy food come into play. We would walk long distance paths, so I would carry at least 2 dried meals, one I expected to use and one for emergency rations.
I haven't used these meals on bike tours recently,because I have only toured in the Uk and France and have generally been able to buy food day by day, although did end up having porridge for supper in Devon last week, due to a cock up on my part

I'm veggie, so do stuff like lentil stews or curries, and they would turn back into almost exactly what you started with before dehydrating, ie really tasty and palatable.
My son, who isn't veggie, carries dried sausage (salami style)which he says goes very well ,if added to the pan when rehydrating.
I haven't dehydrated individual ingredients just whole stews. I do value the control it gives me over what goes into my supper, lots of calories, big portions and no e numbers or other crap, although I guess the last isnot a big deal for the odd meal.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Searching some more I finally turned up Conserva in Germany which has a range of dried food and stuff like canned butter and bread. I also discovered that Speider-sport here in Norway have a few different types of dried vegetables. I think that has solved my dried food problems for now.
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

We bought some stuff from European Freeze Dry but it looks, from their website, like they now only sell fruit, cheese and Mountain House meals. However, the freeze dried fruit was delicious, so I would recommend them. We've not tried the meals.

We've also got a dehydrator, sadly underused now. We did dry stews, and baked beans worked quite well, just be aware that home dried food will often turn into a leathery texture, rather than a powder.
syklist

Post by syklist »

I ended up getting dried egg from http://backstars.de They do organic dried egg powder in small 200g vacuum packs. A couple of those should see us through two or three weeks of camping pancakes. Currently awaiting delivery.