NatureHike Tents

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
irc

Re: NatureHike Tents

Post by irc »

jags wrote:still thinking of buying it, problem i have 8o euro was my max so by the time i pay £74 plus postage it could cost me 150euro long way from 80. :( :(

99 Euros free postage to Ireland

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Naturehike-2-Per ... 1526568576
jags

Post by jags »

Thanks for that irc but will i be nailed for import duty.
great price for that tent 99euro for the amount of camping i do (fair weather tourer ) i reckon it will suit me fine. :wink:
i did have the Hilleber Akto didnt like it i think what pissed me off most about the akto was the price i paid for it, bought it on the web so didnt see it pitched before i parted with my hard earned dosh, i was expecting a lot more tent to be honest. :lol:
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

jags wrote:still thinking of buying it, problem i have 8o euro was my max so by the time i pay £74 plus postage it could cost me 150euro long way from 80. :( :(

This is not a palace, but worth the money:
http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/16499 ... t-red.html
It must be due to being a design that is shared between different brands, so the original design has been done somewhere else and the product is made in the same factory then rebranded.

Another thing I'd like to add: silicone-coated fabrics tend to be lighter, and they are rather slippery. It is a pain to work with, and imagine to do a 2 1/2mt long french-seam on a fabric that slides off from the table and the sewing machine. It takes time and skill, and those don't come for free.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote: It takes time and skill, and those don't come for free.

No but they come for low cost in China.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
irc

Post by irc »

Gattonero wrote:It must be due to being a design that is shared between different brands, so the original design has been done somewhere else and the product is made in the same factory then rebranded.

Any idea who did the original design so we can pay more to reward the designer? :D

Actually it isn't a bad tent. Reasonable headroom. Long enough for most people. Could be todays Argos Pro Action. Cheap, good solid design, not the lightest. A single pole design possible not as stable in high winds as the Argos 2 pole tunnels though.

Still more than 500g heavier than the NatureHike 2 man. Probably good for cycling. Though for backpacking a 2kg tent is too heavy for me. I tried a Terra Nova Laser which was nice and light. I found the interior height just too low for me though. Also a bit of a faff to pitch compared to inner first tents. So I sold it.

When I started looking for another tent I set a weight limit of 1.5kg. Minimum inner height of 1M and inner first pitching. There isn't much on the market at any price in the UK. I'm hoping the NatureHike will be light enough for backpacking and quick and easy to put up, with adequate performance.
jags

Post by jags »

i think the nature hike is a better looking tent certainly more room which i like.
jags

Post by jags »

pete75 wrote:
Gattonero wrote: It takes time and skill, and those don't come for free.

No but they come for low cost in China.

pm sent
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

jags wrote:i did have the Hilleber Akto didnt like it i think what pissed me off most about the akto was the price i paid for it, bought it on the web so didnt see it pitched before i parted with my hard earned dosh, i was expecting a lot more tent to be honest. :lol:

For the same reason I think you should look at one of these or similar. Knowing you, I don't think this tent would suit you at all. It is very similar (maybe even a copy) to some of the early model Big Agnes tents. Maybe you should find someone over in Ireland that has one of those and have a good look at it.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
jags

Post by jags »

ah it should be fine im only planning overnighters nothing exciting ,can't afford big lightweight expensive tents.
irc

Post by irc »

Well that was quick! Ordered 15th July, arrived today 21st.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WMDRSSK

I'll set it up in the garden tomorrow and get a few pics. For some reason Naturehike quote a weight excluding pegs and guys - 1250g. Overall weight for all contents and carrying bags is 1399g on my scales plus another 256g for the included footprint. So the tent (excluding footprint) is around 300g heavier than the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Not necessarily a bad thing. One review I read of the Fly Creek UL2 said the materials were so thin and light they were quite delicate.
jags

Post by jags »

look forward to photos and review cheers.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

I think giving weights excluding pegs is a good thing, as the pegs are easily changed but the fly and inner and poles are not. Also it sidesteps the tendency of manufacturers to issue tiny pegs with tents to improve the weight statistics. I just need to add 5g x the number of pegs required to be able to make comparisons with TN etc.

Great thread this one. Looking forward to hearing how the tent seems once pitched.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

nmnm wrote:I think giving weights excluding pegs is a good thing, as the pegs are easily changed but the fly and inner and poles are not. Also it sidesteps the tendency of manufacturers to issue tiny pegs with tents to improve the weight statistics. I just need to add 5g x the number of pegs required to be able to make comparisons with TN etc.

The late Robert Saunders said something to the tune of the only reason he supplied pegs with tents was not to would seem like an electrical toy on Christmas Day with no batteries. It makes sense to sell "festival tents" with pegs, but I don't think the higher end of the market has yet got to the point with pegs that the bike market has with pedals where of course the serious stuff is sold without any because the Discerning Customer will supply their own Weapons Of Choice.

ISTM the ideal way (for those that can be bothered to spend a few seconds adding stuff up) to give weights is individual items.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

pjclinch wrote:ISTM the ideal way (for those that can be bothered to spend a few seconds adding stuff up) to give weights is individual items.

Which is what Zpacks do for example. That said they do not include pegs, but then their target market would either their own or choose their own.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

nmnm wrote:I think giving weights excluding pegs is a good thing. I just need to add 5g x the number of pegs required to be able to make comparisons with TN etc.

Most manufacturers (including Terra Nova) will give the inner/outer/poles weight in the specs, usually as "minimum weight".
(note that guylines and footprints get excluded, as well as pegs)